Pretzels- Friend or Foe?

Options
I must preface this by saying I am a salt FIEND. I know it's awful but it truly is my only weakness/vice in dieting.

I used to eat a bag of chips with little thought and feel so remorseful after. I've been working hard to kick that habit and switched to pretzels.

My only concern is that I'll nibble (literally on Synders Sourdough Nibblers) at work all day and for lunch. 30 Pretzels are about 250 calories. I do limit myself to about 30 which would be 2 servings.
I'm super bummed because that seems like a lot of calories to sacrifice on a snack that I thought was a healthier alternative to chips and cheez its.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Different snack ideas for salt addicts?

Thanks! :glasses:

Replies

• amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I must preface this by saying I am a salt FIEND. I know it's awful but it truly is my only weakness/vice in dieting.

I used to eat a bag of chips with little thought and feel so remorseful after. I've been working hard to kick that habit and switched to pretzels.

My only concern is that I'll nibble (literally on Synders Sourdough Nibblers) at work all day and for lunch. 30 Pretzels are about 250 calories. I do limit myself to about 30 which would be 2 servings.
    I'm super bummed because that seems like a lot of calories to sacrifice on a snack that I thought was a healthier alternative to chips and cheez its.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Different snack ideas for salt addicts?

Thanks! :glasses:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Why not get the 100 cal snack packs for pretzels... and then ONLY take one/two packs with you. You can't go over that way. Also, try drinking water instead of snacking when you can. After a bit it really works to fight off cravings.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am a salty snacker too! I eat the Orville Red. 100 calorie mini bags of popcorn and I also buy the pre serving sizes of 100 cal snacks-the cheeze it snack mix is one of my favorites and by only having the amount that pre portioned it limits me.

Always drink 8 oz of water before the snack - it will help!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Pretzels are my downfall... I absolutely cannot have them in the house because I'm a salt and carb addict.

I've replaced my pretzel addiction with celery filled with a little low fat cream cheese and a little shaved ham pressed into the cream cheese. I cut it into little bite sized pieces and snack on it when I'm hungry. It's lower in calories but STILL has the crunch and salty taste I love.
  • jaglover04
    jaglover04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I too love the SALT lol!! I've noticed string cheese or pickles helps satisfy my cravings sometimes!!
  • amelia_atlantic
    Options
    Oh, I forgot how much I like pickles!

Do you think it's weird to keep them at my desk? :wink:
  • amelia_atlantic
    Options
    I try to buy 100 packs all the time. I bet I would really like the cheez-it one!

Thanks!
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options
    Pickles. . . and pickle juice !!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    my son freezes pickle juice and eats it like a popsicle - :sick: :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    skip the 100 packs- they cost more and you get less. Instead, pre-bag pretzel into 100 or so cal portions to bring with you. there's nothing wrong with eat pretzels for 250 cals worth a day is too much, especially since you're eating at a deficit and thus, your body needs every nutritional calorie it can get! :flowerforyou:
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    my son freezes pickle juice and eats it like a popsicle - :sick: :laugh:

Kids do the weirdest things! My daughter takes her slice of cheese and rips it into even pieces and then takes a tiny bite out of each piece until she completes a cycle, and then she starts over again at the first piece :noway:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, pretzels are my nemesis too. If you stick with the whole wheat pretzels you should be fine. I buy the whole wheat snyders and bag them up into double servings, and bring those with me to work. If you're a salt addict, no need to completely remove it, just make sure you get plenty of exercise, drink plenty of water, and intersperce it wth some electrolyte drinks in between like Power Zero (10 calories for a 16 oz bottle) or a banana. That way you can have your salt and eat it too (in moderation).