Sugar intake??? HELP

Options
I have been given 35 for sugar daily (without excersize)
I eat Lite and Fruity tropical mix for breakfast, and today i had fruit salad on it to, and i was over my daily sugar intake!
Obviously sugar is important, but everything has it in it right, including my apples and stuff i like to munch on for snacks!

Advice please
Don't really want to change my breakfast cereal, as its quick and easy and keeps me satisfied til lunch. And tastes yummy with all the bits of fruit in it, and cereals and grains

:frown:

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my dietitian told me to only count added sugars, and not to worry about sugar from fruit. she also had my limit of added sugar at 35g
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think everyone here is going over their sugar. I'm not sure why the setting is so low.

If God didn't want us to eat sugar from natural sources, he/she wouldn't have made us crave sweets so much.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I guess for women the daily intake should be 35... sadly I always go over... but at least I'm being a little more conscience of it.
  • Courtney24107
    Options
    Dang, i don't even count sugar haha I stick with counting calories :)
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Sugar RDA for adult - 90g
    MFP sugar RDA for most of us 35g
    HMMM!

I don't worry about going over 35g becasue I do almost every day and it hasn't stopped me losing!!
  • lucybell333
    Options
    I've wondered about this too, as I'm constantly over, due in part to the fact I often snack on dried fruit. Just Googled it and got the following answer on WikiAnswers:

What is the daily recommended intake for sugar?

No more than 40 grams per day for a 2000 calorie diet.
    Remember that the daily limit of 40 grams refers to refined/processed sugars only. There seems to be no limit on natural sugars, however. So, if it's fruits and sugar cane, for which, you're craving, sweet deal.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_daily_recommended_intake_for_sugar#ixzz1lY6WPCv4

So, I guess this is might be a slight defect on MFP, but good to bare in mind! :smile:
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    sugar is one of the things that having too much of can stop you from losing weight. If you start having a problem and stall out look to your sugar.
    They just stated this week that the everyday person has over 22 tsp of sugar a day which is about 135lbs of sugar a year. Yes thats 135 POUNSDS per person. that includes fruit and processed sugars. You do what you want with the sugar but if you dont lose weight the way you want look towards your sugar intake.

Heres some info for anyone interested:

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sugar.htm