First Tattoo

Options

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Just to jump in :bigsmile: I booked my consultation with the tattooist for my very first tattoo. I'll be bookmarking this thread and re-reading it when it gets nearer the time to getting the tattoo done (the tattooist has a 2 month waiting list at the moment!!) And yes I am getting it done, I've been fixed on the same image for nearly 3 years now and have been saving the pennies for it!
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Get something that means something personal to you :) I have 8 (got between age 16-21, now 24) and each has it's own meaning and I love them! Do your research on tattoo artists and make sure you find a really good one with a good rep, so many dodgy tattooists out there! Pick a design and then give it a few weeks to be sure :) and enjoy it! :D

I agree. I got my first at 16 as well (never looked my age). Then I got several more in the service. My mother (who didn't talk to me for nearly 3 weeks after seeing the first one) kept telling me I'd regret it in less than a year. Almost 20 years later and I still like them. Mainly because all of them are unique. Plus you can't see any of them if I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I got them for me, not public show. One of my rules was to NEVER get a tattoo off of the wall. After you get it you'll start to see it everywhere. I did take one picture out of their books for a starting reference, but had the artist modify the basic drawing and then add different things to it to make it mine.

If you have an idea what you want but not the final drawing see if any of your friends have artistic talent that will work on the final with you. A couple different drafts is never a bad idea. that way it can also be cheaper. Some tattoo artists will charge more if they have to draw any of your ideas.

Also, If it is a unique drawing, watch the originals be destroyed or take them with you. I had one drawn by a friend, and 2 years later I was walking down the flight line at Miramar and saw my tattoo on a ladies forearm. Not sure I was pissed, but I wasn't happy.
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had the same want for years to get a tattoo also. I got my only one a month before I turned 40 and plan to get another one or two. Mine only took 20 mins or so and it hurt but it was worth it. VERY important to go to an artist you can trust! Wasn't happy with my quick decision to do while I was on vacation. Good Luck!
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i already know what i want and i have been wanting it for years
    im mostly just looking for advice on how to deal with the pain

Oops, left that part out. Mine felt like a cat scratching me for 3 hours. Not horrible, but not something you normally ask for. The biggest thing is to BREATHE. It also helps to have someone with you to talk with. I've seen a couple real strong guys pass out. That was because they tried to hold their breathe for 2 hours. It doesn't work. If you relax, chat with your friend and keep breathing, you should be able to ignore most of the pain. When they get to the shading part, the area kinda goes numb anyway.
  • mpossjr
    Options
    I have the same goal reward! I have wanted to get a tattoo since I was 16 but I always put it off to see if my mind changed about what I wanted and sure enough after a year I would change my mind. Now I am 28 and I have had the same tattoo idea in my mind for 5 years. Im ready to get it inked but I figured it would be good motivation for dropping 30 lbs. I'm 10 down and 20 to go!
    Ive done a lot of research and like the others said its important to know what you want and will continue to want in the future and don't shop around for prices. Go to a shop with a good reputation and lots of experience. Also ask to see the artists personal work. Every artist has a different style and your tattoo style will reflect the artist. Good luck
  • AutieBell
    AutieBell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have two tattoos and they are both very meaningful to me. Don't rush into a tattoo. Put a lot of thought into what you want since it will be with you forever. It took me almost two years to be find exactly what I wanted for my second tattoo. Fattier places are better if you are afraid of the pain. I got my first tattoo on my right calf and barely could even tell they were doing anything. My second tattoo was more in depth and in between my shoulder blades. Takes up a lot of space and not a lot of fat there so it was a little touch and go but nothing I couldn't handle. I have a pretty high pain tolerance. So if you plan on getting it somewhere non-fatty. Make it small to see how you do. Shading is a ***** lol. Good luck and you got this!! Definitely don't rush it.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    They don't really hurt. Just breathe and think about other things. Kinda like getting pinched over and over. Definately not excruciating though. Have fun. :)
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you're getting it, your skin and your tolerance for pain. Everything you read here will be anecdotal.
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I got my on a whim I think i was.... 20? My advice is dont go with something because its CUTE have meaning to it. Mines a shamrock I got for my dad because im his lucky charm.
  • Anolte76
    Anolte76 Posts: 105
    Options
    Pain is relative...some locations hurt worse than others. I have four now and getting my 5th next week. I got my first at 18 and i'm now 35. Every tattoo should have meaning to you....no matter how stupid to someone else. Like others have said just make sure you eat first and drink water.....main thing is relax. The pain is far less in real life then you probably have in your mind
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and thinking of getting my first one. It will not be in public view (my issue) my husband says no way which is what is stopping me.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I was the same, got my first at 18 but wanted it from aged 14.

Everyone I know says the outline hurts more than the 'colouring in', but that doesn't necessarily mean it will hurt you. I fell asleep with my first, giggled with my second, barely knew he started with the third, fourth and fifth, better than pins and needles in your feet. Lol.

Imagine having something vibrating in your hand for a while, that's what it felt like to me.

If you can, check to see if you can take pain relief an hour before you have it done (not sure on the policy of this). Make sure you have a good ointment for after it (bepanthem is recommended by most tattooists in UK). If it hurts, grit your teeth and make sure you remember to breath, sounds like common sense but a lot of people hold their breath with pain.

Good luck. x
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    this wont be popular, but i would wait until you're thirty to even think about one. i have three, i got them in my very early 20's when i thought i knew exactly what i would want for my future. when you're in your twenties, you really dont know what the rest of your life is going to be like... life changes you, your views change with age..

if you really want one.. then i would suggest something small and hidden, just so you know what its all about.. the only tattoo that i plan on keeping is the little flower i got on my shoulder.. it was my first one and i wish it had been my only one... just my opinion.. good luck with the tat :)

This! I know everyone is different but I have two. One when I was 18 and the other when I was 21. I am now 31 and I want both off me!! they are very pretty and not trashy but sometimes I look at my skin and remember just how beautiful my naked unmarked flesh was. Skin is art too! Good luck to you either way.
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    My advice: don't get a foot tattoo. I got my first one there and it hurt like nothing I've ever felt before (and that's saying something, seeing as I used to SI).
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    The pain is different for everyone and depends on where on your body your getting it.
    For me, my WORSE ones were both of my wrists my shoulders weren't bad just felt like being scratched, however the back part of my shoulders and my back & wrists felt like having a razor just going over my skin repeatably.

I'm going for my 7th one next month and im 23. I dont regret any of them, however each one means something important to me.

And like any DECENT tattoo artist SHOULD tell you, dont take anything before for pain without asking the tattoo artist before hand. because alot of pain meds can be a blood thinner and you'll bleed extra if you do.

In my opinion, the worse places for a tattoo pain wise are the foot, wrists, or rib cage.

Easier for first timers, upper arms or your legs, they usually have the most skin and fat on a body.
  • amy_vandeweerd
    amy_vandeweerd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can make you more pain sensitive, so avoid that before your tattoo if you can. Also, if it hurts, go over the reasons you are getting it as a way to pump yourself up for the result. I got my tattoo fat :) It is a reminder of my cousin who passed away at 34 from a massive heart attack. The tat reminds me how imprtant it is to get healthier. You might consider getting it before your goal. (knowing you have it, but not being able to show it off yet is major motivation!) Good luck on yours :)
  • rm_jackson
    Options
    The pain varies from person to person and location to location. Mine took three hours to outline and shade over my shoulder blades and it didn't really hurt much. It felt like a hot scratching and honestly, was pretty relaxing once the shading started.

Make sure to choose a great artist (look at portfolios, set up a consult, check out the parlor for cleanliness) and make sure the design is EXACTLY what you want before you let the artist start inking you.

Get plenty of sleep the night before and eat something before you leave for your appointment. Most importantly, try not to worry about the pain. The more you work yourself up, the more it's going to hurt. Don't take anything like painkillers because they can thin your blood and make the tattoo bleed more.

If it's something you really want, a couple hours of pain is nothing in the long run. :)
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What kind of tattoo do you want!?
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options

It's really not all that painful, Just relax and enjoy! It certainly helps if your artist is someone who can carry a conversation to pass the time.
  • Stephanie191991
    Options
    They don't really hurt all that much I got my first 3 when I was 16 and I just got my fourth last night I am 20 now and I plan to get more