Stored Glucose

Options
I haven't seen the answer to this question before so here goes. How many calories can/should you consume in one sitting? Or, how many calories can your body store as glucose in muscle (glycogen in liver) before converting and storing the remainder to fat? Or is it dependent on how much the muscles have been depleted of glucose?

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the answer to this question before so here goes. How many calories can/should you consume in one sitting? Or, how many calories can your body store as glucose in muscle (glycogen in liver) before converting and storing the remainder to fat? Or is it dependent on how much the muscles have been depleted of glucose?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    SBS would know better then I, but I believe it's somewhere around 1400 calories of stored glycogen in the muscles, plus some in the blood stream. This is a generic average though, it's a little different for everyone.
    That doesn't mean you can eat that much before it is stored as fat as unless you work out for an extremely long time, you will usually never get to 0 stored glycogen in the muscles. Most of us at a normal weight can eat about 350 to 600 calories at any one time and not have a large percentage turn to fat. There are other factors involved as well though, like how long the particular food takes to digest, what kind of food it is (I.E. protein is processed differently then carbohydrates, and fat), what state your body is in (are you rebuilding muscle, recovering, idle after sleep...etc), and how hard your metabolism is working at the time (did you just work out, is it overly cold where you are, are you fighting off a cold...etc)

For example, if you downed 300 calories worth of table sugar, a LOT of that would turn to fat, simply because your body can't burn 300 calories that fast, and sugar metabolizes almost immediately. Now if you ate the same amount of calories in say... Carrots (that's a LOT of carrots by the way:tongue: ), very little of it would become fat, because it takes a long time to metabolize that particular veggie, because the carbs are locked up in the fiberous material and needs to be stripped out by the stomach and intestines before it can be converted to energy.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Everything I see says that you should eat about every three hours. As for how your body is storing the glucose it depends on your activity level as you move it burns up. I would just take your calorie alotment and divide it into 3 then take about a hundred cals for each snack. I had to watch carbs for a while and I would have 60 for each meal and 15-30 for each snack. Hope that helps.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I would say it depends on the person and how active they are. Most athletes can only store enough to get through 2 maybe 3 hours of activity.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.....very informative SHBoss.