Sushi question

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
Okay, I have the seaweed, sushi rice, crab meat, mayonnaise, rolling mat, ginger & wasabi...

What else goes in Cali rolls? I'm sure its not just mayo in the crab... or is it?

Thanks!

Replies

• jdelisle
    Options
    Okay, I have the seaweed, sushi rice, crab meat, mayonnaise, rolling mat, ginger & wasabi...

What else goes in Cali rolls? I'm sure its not just mayo in the crab... or is it?

Thanks!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Avocado .. .sometimes cucumber strips .... and the mayo isnt' necessary really.
  • Sulai22
    Sulai22 Posts: 5
    Options
    I would skip mayo and go for avocado/cucumber.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I would skip mayo and go for avocado/cucumber.

yup :flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I usually see crab, avocado,and carrots in the California rolls.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't think I have ever seen mayo in California rolls. :huh:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    i just got me some nori and wasabi (was a bit tough to find here) and intend to prepare me sushi tomorrow or during the weekend.. since i don't eat meat, i go with a vegan recipe and it has avocado, cucumbers, carrots... you can also try other greens not only ginger and generally experiment a bit to fit your taste... the wasabi is a must tho and i think you can also dip the sushi bite in some soy sauce or some other spicy sauce you find appropriate

enjoy! :love:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I never had carrots or mayo in a california roll and I live in california.
  • jdelisle
    Options
    Yea, I don't think I have ever seen mayo in California rolls. :huh:

Weird, I've only seen them with Mayo (or some other kind of creamy sauce that tastes just like mayo, lol). I have only been to a few different Sushi Restaurants, not a whole bunch... Maybe its just the westernized version?
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    you can use fat free plain yogurt instead of the mayo for that creamy texture in the crab. Actually, any recipe that calls for mayo.. you can sub in plain yogurt for way less fat and cals. :)