Sweating at the gym

Options

Replies

• Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same as you... self conscious about my sweat (because I ususally sweat a lot too)

I'd have my headphones plugged in, just giving 'er, and sweating up a storm!! But I'd always clean the equipment, and the floor where I drip because I was just aware of my sweat.

Then one day, one of the trainers there stopped me, and we basically said that she was super impressed that every time I went there, I was focused and intense... not that i sweat a lot, but that I worked out hard. So that felt good, and I just kept doing what I was doing.

And thru time, I've had people come up to me or just comment to me that I was the hardest working guy there everytime I went, etc..

So just keep doing what you're doing! You're supposed to sweat at a gym!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same as you... self conscious about my sweat (because I ususally sweat a lot too)

I'd have my headphones plugged in, just giving 'er, and sweating up a storm!! But I'd always clean the equipment, and the floor where I drip because I was just aware of my sweat.

Then one day, one of the trainers there stopped me, and we basically said that she was super impressed that every time I went there, I was focused and intense... not that i sweat a lot, but that I worked out hard. So that felt good, and I just kept doing what I was doing.

And thru time, I've had people come up to me or just comment to me that I was the hardest working guy there everytime I went, etc..

So just keep doing what you're doing! You're supposed to sweat at a gym!

very true. i've made these sort of comments before and it's usually to ask them what they are doing and if they say "a circuit" they usually follow up with "wanna work in?" and then the result is 2 sweaty *kitten* mofos
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I am done, I look like I went bobbing for apples. My husband barely gets a drop on his forehead. Some people sweat, some don't.

Yep. That's us, too. I'm drenched in shorts and a dry-weave shirt, and he's wearing a hoodie and not even flushed.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to sweat when I started exercising, I just went purple in the face! I think it's a learned response, as these days I come off the treadmill literally dripping.

As the t-shirt says, "This isn't sweat, it's liquid awesome!"
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    its a badge of honor for me.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sweat at the gym. That's what it's there for.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    No sweat at the gym is wasted money.
    This. If my shirt isn't soaked and my hair dripping when I leave then I didn't work hard enough.
  • KCalmeyn
    KCalmeyn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I barely sweat at the gym. My underarms and he hair at the back of my neck get damp, meanwhile my husband can drench a shirt.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I actually wish I could sweat more. I get red in the face, and produce these lovely exertion blotches all over (I get them during sex too. Ha - lucky me! :happy: ) and I do sweat some, but never get drenching wet. Ever. Even during spin class when I'm tipping into my zone 5 frequently, the most I have is a wet spot on my chest and of course forehead / hair sweat.

It's really good for you to sweat profusely. I'm jealous!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different number of sweat glands in their body. It's a genetic thing.

Thus, the more you have, the more you sweat.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I sweat pretty good, and I'm cherry-red in the first 10 minutes! I didn't know my knees could sweat until I started working as hard as I do now. My BF always looks like he's taken a bath after a gym workout. He sweats worse than I do! My dad doesn't sweat at all, whereas my mom does even with the slightest elevation of heart rate. It's genetic, I think!

IMHO, you're not doing it right if you don't sweat! ;) But I know some people just plain don't. If I see a sweaty person at the gym, I think they've worked hard, not that they are gross. So be proud of your sweat!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have always sweated a lot! The gross part is I sweat from my head so my hair will be soaked like I just took a shower. It's awesome.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    for the first 3 weeks I never sweated at the gym....now,pretty much the same workout I leave soaked..feels good to 'think' thats all fat
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have the same problem! My face gets SO red it looks like I'm going to pass out! I actually went to the grocery store once after the gym (prob like 25 min after leaving) and someone stoppped me in the aisle asking if i was okay because my face was so red!!! It's embaresssing but I agree - it does make me feel like I accomplished something!

Sweat and be proud!!! :)
  • maximus0721
    Options
    i love the feeling of working out at the gym and ending up dripping in sweat, it makes a difference when a lot of people seem to want to look good there, i always clean my machines or weights,
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have always sweated a lot! The gross part is I sweat from my head so my hair will be soaked like I just took a shower. It's awesome.

Yup..that happens to me too!!! LOL
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    your just getting back in to your fitness so it kinda normal because your body is ajusting. You may want to invest in some DRifit gym wear that helps to absurb moisture with your working out, but I don't think you should be too concerned about . It's part of the process...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    This is just out of curiosity, I recently started going back to the gym and I noticed that I really sweat a lot and no one else seems to be at all. As soon as I get warmed up I start sweating and my face turns bright red, lol. Everyone else looks normal, and I am getting really self concious about it. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I was at the gym for an hour, when I left my shirt was soaked, how does everyone else look so cool even the people really running on the treadmill? Just wondering, hope I'm not alone in this!! LOL
    I used to always get really red in the face as well, and to be honest, I'd almost forgotten about it till I read this post (and its just occurring to me that it doesn't happen anymore since I lost most of my excess weight). I'm guessing its just part of your body getting used to all the exercise it wasn't getting before.

Rest assured, I do still sweat like a pig though, so I don't know the answer to your question, except maybe a lot of people in your gym aren't working as hard as you are, and I have seen a few people over the years who just don't seem to sweat that much (and I'd like to slap those bi+ches sometimes...LOL).

Keep working hard!
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sweat and be proud! If you're not sweating, you're not working hard enough.

Looooove This and totally agree!! LoL. I always work up a sweat, sometimes end up literally pouring sweat... And yea, I often feel like the only one sweating as much as I am- but it feels good because I know I'm kicking some serious *kitten*. Cheers to all of us sweating bullets at the gym (or at home)!!!!