Healthy(ish?) Birthday Cake??

Options
MIL birthday is on Friday and I am going to make her a cake. I want to try and find one that is somewhat healthy. Low calorie would be awesome but I'm mostly focused on cutting out a lot of sugar and such. I still want it to be cake like and not SUPER noticeable it's healthy. Some sort of chocolate would nice. I saw one on The Dr's but I can't seem to find the recipe. I am NOT looking for boxed cake or that "diet pop" cake. Any ideas?

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I have had some amazing chocolate cake that's made with sour cream, and you could do low-fat sour cream.

Although it uses a boxed cake, I found this recipe doing a google search, from http://bloomeveryday.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/outrageous-low-calorie-chocolate-cake/

Outrageous Low Calorie Chocolate Cake

September 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm · Filed under BE Cooking, Recipes and tagged: baking, cake, chocolate, chocolate cake, cooking, dessert, healthy cake, healthy living, low calorie, recipes, sweet

Can a girl have a decadent chocolate cake, that doesn’t take any time to prepare, and is low in calories; the trifecta that seemed to elude us all. But alas, I have found the holy chocolate, low-calorie grail. Yes, and it doesn’t taste like “healthy” chocolate cake. Coming in under 200 calories a slice (16 slices per cake), you can get your chocolate fix and keep your waistline. I never thought this day would come.

Ingredients
    1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
    1 (6.5 cup) package sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
    1 cup fat free sour cream
    1 cup natural (no sugar added) applesauce
    2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites
    1/2 cup warm water
    2 cups milk chocolate chips (can’t skimp on this part)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake, pudding mix, sour cream, applesauce, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a well-greased 12 cup Bundt pan.

3. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Check after 45 minutes or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least before inverting onto a plate. If desired, dust the cake with powdered sugar and serve with strawberries.

4. I love to eat this cake warm! Cut a slice and microwave for 20 seconds. The chocolate chips will melt, and it will taste like molten lava chocolate cake. Enjoy!

I taste tested this on my family, and they all wanted the recipe. Give it a try — your taste buds and waistline will thank you.

Good luck!
  • 2012Wendy
    Options
    Here's the recipe you are referring to: http://www.recapo.com/the-doctors/the-doctors-diet/the-doctors-chef-chloes-healthier-chocolate-cake-recipe/

Chef Chloe’s Chocolate Cake Recipe

3 cups flour
    ⅔ cup Cocoa Powder
    2 tsp. Baking Soda
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 ½ c. water
    1 ⅔ c. Agave
    1 c. Canola Oil
    ¼ c. Vinegar
    1 tbsp. Vanilla

1.Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
    2.Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
    3.Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
    4.Enjoy your guilt-free chocolate cake.

This recipe has just 200 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    this Sunshine Cake with the Frosting is what I always make for my family's birthdays.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/supertracylynn
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe you are referring to: http://www.recapo.com/the-doctors/the-doctors-diet/the-doctors-chef-chloes-healthier-chocolate-cake-recipe/

Chef Chloe’s Chocolate Cake Recipe

3 cups flour
    ⅔ cup Cocoa Powder
    2 tsp. Baking Soda
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 ½ c. water
    1 ⅔ c. Agave
    1 c. Canola Oil
    ¼ c. Vinegar
    1 tbsp. Vanilla

1.Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
    2.Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
    3.Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
    4.Enjoy your guilt-free chocolate cake.

This recipe has just 200 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving.

Thank you!!!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can do the diet soda cake recipe as well. Doesn't get easier... Take 1 box of cake mix and combine with 1 can of diet soda.. That's it.. No eggs or oil, just those 2 ingredients. Plus there's a ton of combos you can do, though I don't know how much the flavor comes out.. For example, you could try a white cake with orange soda for a creamsicle, though I'm sure it'll come out orangey..
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    Happy Birthday for Friday!
    Its also my birthday this week and as a tradition we have to take the cakes in to the office when its our birthday, so this thread has been really helpful!
  • janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Great ideas - thanks!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    You can do the diet soda cake recipe as well. Doesn't get easier... Take 1 box of cake mix and combine with 1 can of diet soda.. That's it.. No eggs or oil, just those 2 ingredients. Plus there's a ton of combos you can do, though I don't know how much the flavor comes out.. For example, you could try a white cake with orange soda for a creamsicle, though I'm sure it'll come out orangey..

^^^this one for sure!!! i recommend diet coke with chocolate cake mix, or diet sprite with confetti cake mix!!! then top with fat free cool whip and berries....and VIOLA'!!!!!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raisingbabyk
    Options
    Happy Birthday for Friday!
    Its also my birthday this week and as a tradition we have to take the cakes in to the office when its our birthday, so this thread has been really helpful!

MIL's birthday, not mine, but happy birthday to you!!!:smile:
  • raisingbabyk
    Options

^^^this one for sure!!! i recommend diet coke with chocolate cake mix, or diet sprite with confetti cake mix!!! then top with fat free cool whip and berries....and VIOLA'!!!!!

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated.. But as mentioned in my OP I do not want to do the diet pop recipe. I don't drink that stuff because I don't think it's good for you and has too many chemicals in it, but that's my opinion. :ohwell:

The recipe i was looking for was found and I am so excited to try it!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There are some AWESOME suggestions in here. Thank you.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carb baker, so i know a thing or two about knocking out sugar.

I've been baking low carb goodies for years, and what I've found that works best is simply supplementing an existing recipe.

Pillsbury makes sugar free cake mix. Instead of oil, I use light sour cream in the mixture. I also only use 2 eggs, plus water.

Because I am low carb, I often use only half the box, then supplement a cup and a half of low-carb baking mix (although I'm sure you could supplement heart-smart Bisquick if you aren't watching carbs), some natural no-cal (or low-cal) sweetener and a little extra flavoring (vanilla, cocoa powder, extracts, etc.)

I can usually come up with a really, REALLY good product that has only a few net carbs. If you need a good sugar free frosting recipe, feel free to send me a message, too. I have several, including one swiss buttercream that is absolutely divine and indistinguishable from the full sugar stuff.

These are some sugar free, lower carb red velvet cupcakes that I made:

100_6613.jpg

Good luck!
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    you can also sub in half the butter/oil for applesauce and further slash calories/fat. you can't taste the applesauce, and it helps keep the cake nice and moist. :)
  • marygettingfit
    marygettingfit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    To read later...great recipes! Thanks for sharing!
  • mnec2010
    mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump