Bowel movement frequency

Options
Just checking if anyone following the calorie counting go to #2 regularly (once + a day, once every two days?) I go every 2.5 days and minimal, just asking if its normal. Sorry for the grossness of the topic.

Replies

• kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I eat healthier, I go once a day. If Im eating badly I tend to get constipated. :(
  • cigarzzz
    Options
    Now that i'm trying to eat healthier - once a day...
  • pudgypie
    pudgypie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord, this is a big problem for me. If I am really regular, I go once every three days!!!! The last couple of months it has sometimes been up to 5 days!!!! It doesn't cause me too much problem but I would love to go every day. I am having a bowel investigation done as I feel it just can't be right to go once or twice a week! Anyone else like me?:ohwell:
  • Shariet0630
    Options
    I'm glad someone brought this up. Since I have been eating better for the past month, I am more constipated. I do eat fiber meal bars and plenty of protein so I do not understand why this is happening.
  • caramelbaloney
    Options
    I started incorporating more vegetables and switched to whole grains about 5 years ago (became vegetarian), and I started going about twice a day. The food diary shows that my regular fiber intake is sometimes double the recommended intake. When I first started reducing my calories, I went less often, but now I seem back to once a day. I've been looking for a "poop tracker" app, ha, because I think that info could be useful. I'm not sure what it means, though, to go only once or twice per week.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I know everyone is different but for me, if I'm not going at least once a day then I need to make changes. So I up my fiber with more veggies, fruit, whole grains, beans and also add more water. The key is finding the right combination that works for you.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    That is not normal frequency. Add more fiber into your diet. Drink lots of water. If that doesn't help after a week, you should probably see a doctor.
  • skinnychick33
    skinnychick33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it's ironic this topic is at the top of my topic list because I am having real problems with this! I haven't had a BM in 5 days. My doctor told me at least 5 times that "it's good to go every day". I tend to go every other day and so does my dad. I'm going to the drug store today for magnesium citrate - my boyfriend says his doctor recommended this when he was having issues. I'm going to grab an enema too because I've gotta get things moving! It's ridiculous. And I really don't feel good at all. yuck.:blushing:
  • Eerskine79
    Options
    As a nursing student, we learn that it's important to make sure that you are eating at least 21 grams of fiber each day and drinking around 50 ounces of water. These will help soften the stool and make you "more productive." Eating fruits and veggies is a good way to do both, since you are getting the fluids from the foods as well as the bulk.
  • Eerskine79
    Options
    I'll bet! One way to get things moving is to drink something with sugar alcohols in it: manitol, xyletol, etc... because they will help you be more productive. Sugar free candies and Crystal Light are generally helpful.
  • Eerskine79
    Options
    Protein is constipating. Try cutting back a bit and drinking at least 50 ounces of water daily. Feel better!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I have movements less frequently, about 2-3x a week and they tend to me much smaller (TMI...I know).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bowel movements can be affected by a lot of things, diet being only one, but an important one. Make sure you are getting enough fiber and that you are getting plenty of fluids. If you aren't already taking one, you might consider a probiotic supplement. If you are still concerned, speak to your doctor.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I just stared adding more veg to my diet and I have gone 3 times since yesterday afternoon LOL
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    now then, im gonna go out on a limb here.

my endocrinologist has told me EVERYONE is different.

i go sometimes 1 day a week, but on that day, i go maybe 3-4 times.

i drink ALOT, eat plenty of veg and fruit, and exercise regularly.

i dont feel bloated or constipated, this is MY normal.

if it gets runny, or bloody, thats when you see a doctor.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone brought this up. Since I have been eating better for the past month, I am more constipated. I do eat fiber meal bars and plenty of protein so I do not understand why this is happening.

Add more water.
  • StevenK05
    Options
    Your body needs a lot of water to support peristalsis (the movement of waste through the bowel). If you are eating a high protein / high fiber diet and exercising regularly then you need to make sure you are getting at least 3L of water per day. Protein helps regulate the water metabolism in the body so as you increase protein and fiber increase your water intake as well. You could be on the border of dehydration and this can cause sluggish bowel movements or constipation.

The actual frequency of BM's should be combined with the consistency as well. Consistency: Are they dry & hard?
    Difficult to move? Feeling bloated, gassy? etc… These factors can help you dial in your diet and fluid intake as well and
    get you back on track.

Check with a L.Ac. or a DOM. and they can give you more info on the eastern philosophy of diet and exercise.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's not just fiber that counts - fiber comes in two ways - soluble and insoluble. If you're getting too much insoluble fiber or not enough soluble, you could cause constipation. I'd recommend adding a soluble fiber supplement to your water each day - Benefiber for example. It's affordable and taste free.
  • lafitz1
    Options
    So glad we can talk about this. I go sometimes every two or three days! Help!
  • Shariet0630
    Options

Add more water.

I drink 8-10 glasses of water per day already.