Losing weight after Sertraline?

Does anyone have a success story losing weight after having been on Sertraline (Zoloft) or another similar drug (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) ?

Did you gain weight while taking it? How long did it take to lose it after stopping the drug?

I am at the point of total frustration, gained 15+ pounds on the drug while eating well and exercising rigorously. I can barely keep my weight from going any higher. Ugh.

Thank you!

Replies

• Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Hi

I'm on sertraline, have been for about 2 years. I take 100mg a day. Before that I was taking citalapram. I gained my weight before I was on the meds, when I was suffering with depression and anxiety. I changed from the Citalapram because it made me feel like a zombie, but since going onto the Sertraline I feel far more balanced and have lost 30lbs here since June last year. I don;t think the sertraline has hindered me, and I find that eating well and exercising helps lift my moods even more. Sorry I can;t be more help. Have you tried discussing this with your doctor? Good luck.
  • saritabandita
    saritabandita Posts: 67 Member
    I've been on Setraline for about 6 years, and I definitely gained weight. I'm sure it wasn't all the Setraline's fault, but since taking it I really slacked off in my eating habits (I sort of slacked off in lots of areas after taking it... sometimes good, sometimes not). My doctor recently added the generic form of Wellbutrin to my Setraline. I feel like the combination as worked well for me, making me feel more balanced in all areas, including making good food & exercise choices. Maybe it's just coincidence... or maybe it's not. Good luck!!
  • jasminemycat
    jasminemycat Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks so much for the responses! Sertraline definitely brought me back to life, but I am convinced that it also made me gain weight. I have been on it for 18 months and am at my highest weight now (apart from being pregnant), even though I have been more zealous with watching what I eat than ever, and am exercising more than I ever did in my life.

I finally stopped taking Sertraline with the doc's blessing about 3 weeks ago (withdrawal is a whole different subject). I am now totally meds-free!! Woo-hoo. The extra weight is still not budging, so I guess I just need to be patient and hope it will clear out of my system soon.
  • Rach0525
    Rach0525 Posts: 2 Member
    I stopped taking sertraline in September. It caused me to gain 15+ lbs. I did not start seeing any results from working out till December and it is still a slow process. I have lost 5-7 lbs. I still have another 20 to lose though because I took it for PPD so it just added to the baby weight. I can see the results by inches more than anything. Just know that it is going to take time and do not beat yourself up for it. I would also recommend taking a super B complex vitamin. It helps with moods and help correct your metabolism. I start p90x in 2 weeks. I think that since I have corrected my metabolism and the meds are completely out of my system I am going to see the results I am looking for. You got this. Stay positive and keep up the work. It will come off!
  • LGearheart
    LGearheart Posts: 21 Member
    I am in the same boat as you! I had my son in July and they put me on Zoloft because with my daughter I had gotten PPD. I have since gained about 7 pounds (all in my stomach) since taking it through the summer. That may not sound like alot but I am really small framed so it shows. I was skinnier after I had my son than I am now. I just stopped taking Zolof completely t about a week and a half ago and I am having severe withdrawal symptoms. I did taper two weeks prior. I have been working out everyday for almost a month and besides some arm and leg toning my fat has not moved on my tummy! So I am right there with you and hopefully will start seeing results soon. It is very frustrating.
  • toolcreep9
    toolcreep9 Posts: 3 Member
    I have a question about coming off Zoloft for you all...can you tell me all of the specific withdrawal symptoms each of you had or are having? I have been having some unexplainable symptoms and am wondering if they are a result of my taking myself off Zoloft recently.

Thanks for your help!! :)

P.S. I gained at least 7 pounds since starting Zoloft a few months ago and that's WITH improving my diet and exercise habits. I am hopeful that after having eliminated the most stressful elements in my life and having left Zoloft behind me that I will lose that extra weight. I have a "little skeleton" (my silly way of saying small and short frame) and the extra weight really "POPS" out on me :(
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    OMG!! I gained 30 lbs. while taking it...then I got pregnant! Can you believe it??!!! Weight was making me more depressed and I got off it. I'm fine now...Working on getting back to that pre-zoloft weight.
    I don't know why everyone in the medical community refuses to acknowledge weight gain as a side effect!!!! I have done a lot of research online and it has happened to a lot of people. Just keep working hard. Best wishes to you in your happiness and health! :flowerforyou:
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    I have a question about coming off Zoloft for you all...can you tell me all of the specific withdrawal symptoms each of you had or are having? I have been having some unexplainable symptoms and am wondering if they are a result of my taking myself off Zoloft recently.

Thanks for your help!! :)

P.S. I gained at least 7 pounds since starting Zoloft a few months ago and that's WITH improving my diet and exercise habits. I am hopeful that after having eliminated the most stressful elements in my life and having left Zoloft behind me that I will lose that extra weight. I have a "little skeleton" (my silly way of saying small and short frame) and the extra weight really "POPS" out on me :(

I weaned off very quickly. I was DONE with zoloft and what it was doing to my body. The side effects were AWFUL. Electric-shock like feelings...like little zaps. I believe I was nauseous and dizzy too. It was hell, but WELL worth not being on it any more!!!
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    To the person asking about Zoloft withdrawal symptoms:

I was on it for 8 years (100mg), I recently switched to Wellbutrin because of some side effects of Zoloft that I won't discuss here. Before switching to Wellbutrin I was off Zoloft for a bit over 2 months (change in doctors). After about 4 days I started getting this weird feeling in my skull, the best way to describe it would be almost a sound more than a sensation, of someone squirting a spray bottle in my head. It wasn't painful and it wasn't constant, but it sure was annoying and I can't describe it better than that because it was really a strange sensation and it went on for quite awhile after I was off the medication. After about a week I started to get really foggy and just couldn't think, but after about 2 weeks off it I felt okay, despite those head sensations.

It's not addictive, so you don't have withdrawal like that, it's more because your body is adjusting back to its "normal". If you went on another medication right away you may not have any symptoms.

Also, I gained weight on Zoloft, not BECAUSE of Zoloft, but I'm sure it helped the weight come on in addition to my own bad habits. Stopping the medication isn't going to make the weight fall off. And it's not impossible to lose weight while I Zoloft (I lost 70 pounds of the weight I gained while taking Zoloft, then gained back 10 of that over the last year which I am now working on losing).

I'm on Wellbutrin right now, the equivalent dosage (100mg Zoloft = 300mg Wellbutrin) wasn't working very well so now I'm on 450mg, I can't say that it has helped much so far because I've only been on the increased dosage for a week. I will say, however, that the first week or two of Wellbutrin is hard. It really is a situation of "it gets worse before it gets better". I'm up at night a lot, I'm irritable and emotional. But, since this happened when I first started the 300mg and it went away, I know it's only temporary and then hopefully I'll start seeing some improvement.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    I was on it for PPd but I lost weight immediately. I had to go off because of it.
  • toolcreep9
    toolcreep9 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the responses!!

Bunky BB, I think I know what you might be referring to about the nondiscussable side effects of sertraline....if so, I am already seeing improvement in that area as well since I've stopped taking the meds.

All, At first, I experienced irritability and depression, but all that has subsided and now all that I'm having is a tense feeling in my head (no zaps or spray sounds....yet...) and this aggravating lightheadedness. I am hopeful after reading your posts that this will subside withing another week or two.

Marathon Mama, I am not sure why some people gain weight on sertraline and some people lose weight. Maybe it's because some people "stress eat" so that when they start taking the meds and become less stressed they actually stop that extra eating and lose weight. Then, maybe some people experience a loss of appetite when they are anxious or depressed and get a heartier appetite after they start taking the meds so that they gain weight. I definitely eat healthier foods and exercise more and drink a LOT less now than I did before i started taking it, so you would think that if the meds had nothing to do with it, I wouldn't be gaining weight. HOWEVER, I also have low thyroid and have to take a relatively light dose of synthroid every day. Maybe the hypothryroidism along with the sertraline have ganged up on me? I guess there is no "cut and dry" answer because everyone is different in how their bodies cope with each med.

I'm over it, though....so I'm gonna try to stick it out :) If things get too bad mentally, I'll get back on the meds, but I can handle the physical annoyances for now. Thanks again for your time and sharing your experience :)
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    I was on Zoloft for a few months and actually lost weight very easily, but my doctor said if I start gaining weight that I should stop taking it and we will try something else because it would mean that I am having an allergic reaction to the drug.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    I wanted to post here because I'm in the similar situation. Not with zoloft but with prozac. I've gained a crap load of weight and just this week decided to come off of it. The weight gain was making me more depressed than ever....so I hope im making the right decision. I already feel the withdrawl symptoms...no bueno.

Like you all, I hope to see the weight come off! Good luck everyone :smile:
  • Twiggy175
    Twiggy175 Posts: 1 Member
    I never had any problems with my weight then I put on two stones in weight due to taking SSRI antidepressants.. I stopped taking them 2 yrs ago to date and I have lost most of the weight now..only 6 pounds to go to my pre antidepressant weight.
    It's been a tough long journey. Personally I can live with depression easier than the side effects of antidepressants...I know they work wonders for some people though.

Good luck to everyone :smile:
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    I've been on it for many years. I've always been overweight to some point so I don't know if it effected me or not. Still on it and you can see I've lost almost 15lbs.
  • ness_
    ness_ Posts: 1 Member
    I have now been on Zoloft & Sertaline for about 14 months. I had been mostly maintaining my weight...which was creeping up very slowly. Then in Oct last year I had a hysterectmy well with that all my hormones changed for the worst.
    I have now gained 10kg (22pounds) & am the heaviest I've ever been.
    My diet is pretty much plant based, with no dairy or meat. I've been excercising also. I feel it's time to wean off this drug (hopefully once & for all) as with my weight going up it's making me more depressed.
    I'm currently on 100mg & will be cutting it back by half as of tomorrow.
    How long did you have withdrawl side effects for as you were decreasing your dosage?
    It's time to take control of me again!
  • reshie2000
    reshie2000 Posts: 1 Member
    I have been on Zoloft for pmdd for many yrs (10+). I noticed when my dose increases from 50 to 75mg...I gained about 10lbs right away. Now my doc cut me back to 50mg again...I hope the weight will come right off. I plan to start weaning off it slowly...any idea how long the weight loss can show? Has any one experienced weight change only when dose increase?
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    I was on Zoloft for many years and I also gained a lot of weight, but my lifestyle also changed as I went from a moderately active job to a sedentary one. I eventually got to a point with zoloft where it was no longer working for me. I am now taking Vibryd and it is doing a great job! I am way more even-keeled, i'm sleeping better and I have been able to lose weight easily so far. Vibryd is one of the new generation depression meds and according to my doctor it has less side effects than some of the older medications like zoloft, wellbutrin and effexor.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    I am on Lexipro... which is a little different. I have actually lost weight since starting. I think it is because when I am depressed or have anxiety, I tend to eat.... ALOT.
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Now that I think about it, I guess I have been on Sertraline for almost 3 years now. I haven't had any issues with weight. I have put on a few pounds since then, but I would definitely blame other things like being less active, not the meds.

As far as withdrawal, there was a time I just kind of forgot to take my meds for a while, and my first symptom was light headedness. From going up stairs, standing up, etc. As soon as I figured it out and took my meds, I was fine. I'm concerned though once I go off for good about the zapping side effect that people have mentioned!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!