Any African American women do the "big chop" to get their ex

Cathy_ann913
Cathy_ann913 Posts: 59 Member
Hi, I did the big chop on Saturday, because I'm sick and tired of fussing with my hair. The half kinky, half straight was making me nuts and took up a lot of my time. I had to do it to be able to exercise.. I'm not crazy about the style and I've got a square shape head, but this is going to help with my exercise routine. I determined to get this fat off and if it means no hair for now, so be it!

Let me know if you have the same dilemma and maybe we can go through this together. Good luck on your journey to wellness and looking great!!!

Cathy

Replies

• Hi Cathy,
    I have not done the big chop but I'm seriously considering. I admire your your commitment to your weightloss. Keep up the good work:)
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Hi I did the Big Chop 2yrs ago my natural hair is curly. It was frustrating finding cute styles. Hair frizziness and getting kinky doesn't bother me too much I would just wear scarves at the gym. My hair grew out a lot, past my neck. Unfortunately after I grew out all of that hair, and for me it seem to be as much work as a relaxer, I asked my hair dresser to trim my hair and put in a weave so I could take a break, I had an event and didn't want to worry. When I took out the weave early, within 30 days she cut off inches of hair growth, I was in tears, 2yrs of work and hair growth gone. I am back to a relaxer my hair has gained the length back. Bottom line it's still work either way you have to do what fits your lifestyle. If you want some good products to try on natural hair though during workouts and after...Eco styler gel (olive oil and argan oil type) works great and keeps the hair healthy. Keep your hair moisturized a spray bottle with a good conditioner, some aloe vera juice, and olive oil and a little water sprayed on daily works great too. You tube is your friend go on the site and plug in natural hair and whatever you need to know including tips for your texture will be on there. I learned a lot from you tube. Maybe one day I will go back to natural, I do miss it. Good Luck!
  • Hi Cathy,
    I have natural hair and when I am working out i just pull it back into a bun or a puff. I just recently cut all the relaxer out in Sept of 2011, as a matter of fact it was labor day. I dealt with two different textures for two years and it can be frustrating. As for now i use Eco styler gel to slick it down. I wash it weekly and deep condition it every other week. I really don't care how my hair looks at the gym,so i just keep it tied up or slick back. I am determined to get this weight off also. Good luck on your weight loss and hair journey.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Until now, this...

Big-Green-Egg-Chops.jpg

...was the only "Big Chop" I'd heard of. :wink:

Interesting topic...
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    I did it, but I'm currently wearing my hair in kinky twist until it grows out some more :D
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    I did the big chop back in 1994. It was the best decision I'd ever made. It does take a while getting used to, but I found accessories to be my best friend. I rocked the fade like I owned it! How low did you cut yours?
  • Cathy_ann913
    It's pretty short, pulled out at the top it's a little less than a 1/2 inch. Walking around today I noticed other black women w/ short do's and it was interesting. Though everyone's hair was short, every woman looked different. Just like complexion, we all wear our short hair differently. Funny, I thought everyone else's hair looked awesome. I just need to get over myself and my anxieties about kinky hair. It's sad to say it out loud, but it's true. I'm determined to move forward, I can do this!
  • Cathy_ann913
    Thank you so much. Tomorrow, I go to work and face my co-workers. I feel like I want to wear a hat. I can hear it know, "Oh Cathy, you cut your hair (then hesitation), it looks really cute". Can't wait to face the music, oh well. But, I'll be looking good in 6 months or so, now there.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Moved to chitchat, as this does not qualify as technical support
  • I actually locked mine because I was so done with messing with my hair. Started with two strand twists and then interlocked. Now I'm going to start maintaining with palm rolling.

Having natural hair and working out is no easy feat.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    It will take sometime to getting used to. I owned mine right away, but what you could do is just stand in the mirror and admire yourself. Don't look at your hair, just look at your face and really see you. Once you do that look at your hair and admire it in its truest form. I think natural hair is gorgeous no matter what texture you have or the length. I believe that the confidence of wearing it actually comes from within. Just embrace it. :-)
  • Mo_babee
    Mo_babee Posts: 80 Member
    I did the big chop about 2 years ago and I'll never go back...lol...for the gym I just do about 8 chunky twists and put them up in a ponytail and keep it moving...
  • Pennhotmom
    Pennhotmom Posts: 65 Member
    I did the big chop 1.5 years ago. I haven't been permed in over two. I like you found the textures too much to be bothered with. Some days I think of perming, but for now I am sticking with natural. I like the shea moisture products at Target/Walgreens. They aren't drying.
  • Cathy_ann913
    Funny!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    I did the BC. I got 99 problems and my hair ain't one.