Am I an idiot?

Options
SammyPacks
SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
Am I an idiot for wanting to rekindle an old friendship with my old bestfriend from 8th grade-11th grade... it ended on bad terms about two years ago for certain reasons... and I'm wondering if I'm an idiot for wanting to still try n at least be decent friends... not best friends, but keep in touch from time to time?

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I don`t see that it does any harm if that is all you wish for it to be.
    If the other person has no interest then you gave it a shot and just walk away,no use in feeling bad over it.

That said lots will depend on the reasons it ended that were left unsaid.
    Certain things are probably too severe an issue to easily resolve and if you have blame in any part that first must be admitted and apologized for.

Best answer I can give with the limited information offered.
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I recently became friends again with a friend from high school. I think we fought more in high school than we got along. We have both grown and changed. We are not best friends but who knows. The more we talk the more we realize that we have changed and we like the changes in each other. Give it a try, take it slow, and its always good to have more friends.
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    I don`t see that it does any harm if that is all you wish for it to be.
    If the other person has no interest then you gave it a shot and just walk away,no use in feeling bad over it.

That said lots will depend on the reasons it ended that were left unsaid.
    Certain things are probably too severe an issue to easily resolve and if you have blame in any part that first must be admitted and apologized for.

Best answer I can give with the limited information offered.

Carl said it all and I agree with him!!!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I tried to reconnect w/ a friend who "dumped" me in 9th grade because of a disagreement. a pretty hostile one. we didn't even speak until sophomore year of college... then we were friends for a few years and GUESS WHAT?? we had ANOTHER falling out.

I think it's just her personality type. we're just not able to sustain a friendship.

I have no hard feelings toward her, I still recognize that she *was* a good friend... it just plain old won't work out.

so I guess my advice is, give it a TRY but don't get your hopes up :( it's the same with a relationship - you had problems the first time, why would you expect differently?
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Not at all. My ex best friend [she was my best friend for like 3 years] and I got into a huge argument in 2010 after she moved from New York to Tennessee [long story]. She came back home in 2011, and had a baby - and I missed all of that because we were angry at each other for stupid reasons.

She e-mailed me saying that she missed hanging out with me and she would love for me to meet her baby girl and her husband. We set up a dinner date, and I met her baby and her husband.

Things went bad again when, this time, I moved away. Now I'm back home and we're going to dinner again soon. LOL. I guess we don't do well with long-distance friendships.
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    if your wondering if it would make you an "idiot" to still be friends than I'd say YES... obviously your gut is telling you not to do this or you wouldnt be questioning it. Who needs questionable friends????
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It depends. Ill be honest, I had three seperate friends who we did not have a specific falling out, but it was just kind an accumulation of events. I tried with all of them to get back on good terms, and it just couldnt happen. We just couldnt connect, and the same reasons that we were not talking just began to bother me again. Just my opinion, let them be
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    No! One of my bestfriends ended a relationship and missed some great years and we have gotten over it and know that when something bad happens we can count on each other. Leave the past in the past and start anew.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Are you an idiot for wanting to resolve an unresolved situation? No.
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    I would have to say "if it feels right", go for it. I have done the same thing but have found that the interests we shared then was no longer enough to make us interested in each other after the passage of time. People change and you may not be able to "connect" like you once did.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Am I an idiot for wanting to rekindle an old friendship with my old bestfriend from 8th grade-11th grade... it ended on bad terms about two years ago for certain reasons... and I'm wondering if I'm an idiot for wanting to still try n at least be decent friends... not best friends, but keep in touch from time to time?
    Yes, you're being idiotic.
    Some of my most passionate and memorable adventures were derived from such idiocy.
    GO FOR IT!

No risk - no reward!
    And if you end up screwed again, this time shut the door for good.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Make friends
  • 19steph88
    19steph88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No, you are not an idiot. If the friendship meant a lot to you, I say go for it. The worst thing that can happen is that things don't work; can't say that you didn't try. I reached out to a friend who I was best friends with in elem & middle school (we went out seperate ways in HS for various reasons) after college, and now we get together once a summer and e-mail on a regular basis. Good luck!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hey. You look very similar to the OP.:tongue:
  • avibachar
    Options
    You are definitely not an idiot for wanting to try and make things work. You WILL BE an idiot if, after trying to rekindle, your friend proves his/herself unworthy of your friendship.

It's great to want to give it one more try, but please remember - having a long history with someone is NOT a good reason to stay friends with them!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

acckk she does!!!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

acckk she does!!!

Yes, everyone who wears glasses looks the same.

But really, I could see how you could think that from our facial expressions. Here's me nonglasses. I don't see it.

photo2.jpg
  • SammyPacks
    Options

acckk she does!!!

Yes, everyone who wears glasses looks the same.

But really, I could see how you could think that from our facial expressions. Here's me nonglasses. I don't see it.

photo2.jpg

loool at the "everyone who wears glasses looks the same" hahahahaha
  • SammyPacks
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input... I'll try and see if things work out, I might as well try... my old friend did try to get in touch with me for about a year, but I denied the calls and eventually got a new phone... recently I stumbled across their number... I'll see how things go. Thanks again everyone... :)