Toe pain?

Options
Hi all,

I ran 2 miles for the first time yesterday. Today, I notice that when I walk, the big toe of my right foot hurts. It starts about an inch or two below the big toe and travels up through it. It's esp. noticeable when my foot rolls to the balls of my feet.

I am an overpronator (feet turn inward slightly when I run--have ever since pregnancy 2.5 years ago).

Is there some way that I should change my running stance so I do not have this problem again?

Thanks.

Replies

• AmyLou9903
    Options
    Hi all,

I ran 2 miles for the first time yesterday. Today, I notice that when I walk, the big toe of my right foot hurts. It starts about an inch or two below the big toe and travels up through it. It's esp. noticeable when my foot rolls to the balls of my feet.

I am an overpronator (feet turn inward slightly when I run--have ever since pregnancy 2.5 years ago).

Is there some way that I should change my running stance so I do not have this problem again?

Thanks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Do you have orthodic inserts? That may be your best solution. You are probably going to continue to over pronate otherwise, don't you think?
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Do you have orthodic inserts? That may be your best solution. You are probably going to continue to over pronate otherwise, don't you think?
    I totally agree, you've strained a ligament, try icing it down. Orthotic inserts can work well for you to prevent it in the future. Also, how many miles do you have on your shoes? They should be replaced every 200 to 300 miles...best to you always, Rick
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    My shoes are fairly new--only about 10 miles on them so far. They are the ones Shape magazine recommended for overpronators, New Balance ones.

I will look into getting some inserts, thanks for the idea. I didn't realize I'd need inserts, too. Thanks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Amy, I don't think any shoe can correct a pronation problem without inserts if you over pronate enough to have injured your foot running only two miles.

Are you easing into your running program? You didn't just go right out and run two miles on your first run, did you? Go to the Couch to 5K website for a good gradual running program.

Good luck! Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    I have been doing a couch to 5k that's a 5 week program but I extended it to 8 weeks. This was my 3rd week running, I started with 1 mile and built to 2 miles. And prior to that, I'd been doing aerobics for 6 weeks about 40 minutes 5x a week.

Thanks for the concern though! I appreciate it!:smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My shoes are fairly new--only about 10 miles on them so far. They are the ones Shape magazine recommended for overpronators, New Balance ones.

I will look into getting some inserts, thanks for the idea. I didn't realize I'd need inserts, too. Thanks!

Also, are your shoes big enough at the top (the toebox?). I have to buy running shoes that are 2 sizes larger than my normal shoes. Do your toenails ache? That is what happened to me, then they bruised and fell off (I know, yucky!) while marathon training. I am also an overpronator, and I love my Asics GT-2140's. I would recommend going to a running store next time and having them fit your feet to the correct shoe. (then you can order them online for cheaper once you know what to buy.) Happy running!