Need advice before I loose the will to live :(

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

All is not lost. Keep doing what you're doing, it will show results in the end.

BUT having said that, if you are exercising that much, and still only eating 1200 calories, your body is probably in starvation mode. 1200 is the bare minimum (I think) for any BODY to eat, but if you are then expending calories through exercise, you are really only consuming a pittance to keep your body ALIVE! Start eating back at least 1/2 of your calories, and see what happens. You have to get out of the mindset that eating more = gaining weight. Not so, if done properly and mindfully.

Keep your chin up, you are doing great!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    WHAT you eat is also important - not just how much. As another poster suggested - keep it clean - lean meats, lots of veggies, nuts, some fresh fruit. 100% whole grains
  • chedainc
    Options
    OMG you are doing a tremendous lot of exercise, you should be adding extra calories, as you are using a lot more. your body may think it is in starvation mode. also you need to realize you are that you are building lean muscle as well as getting rid of fat, so it is not going to look like that much on the scale. The question is are you checking your inch loss and how are your clothes fitting on you? How are you feeling physically? If you feel great , then not to worry as eventually it will come off , try not to watch the scale so much. That has happened to me as well, and now it seems to be coming off a little easier. Good luck and I hope I helped a little.:smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough!!

eating not enough will slow your metabolism down making it harder to lose weight.
    if you could open your diary it would be helpful to give more advice? :)
  • becjerami
    Options
    I don't know all your vitals but with all that activity you should probably be eating AT LEAST 1800 cals per day.

Try the link below to work out your maintenance requirements. Be honest with your activity levels and read the descriptions at the bottom of the page (if for example you only to Heavy activity 3-4 times per week, work out total time and divide by 7 for a weekly average). You will get a BMR figure, an activity figure and a maintenance calories figure. Try to net at least as many calories as your BMR figure and you should lose weight without decreasing your metabolism too much.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Hope this helps.

I was having the same problem as you and have just started eating a LOT more and am now losing weight (and enjoying my food at the same time!)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    OMG you are doing a tremendous lot of exercise, you should be adding extra calories, as you are using a lot more. your body may think it is in starvation mode. also you need to realize you are that you are building lean muscle as well as getting rid of fat, so it is not going to look like that much on the scale. The question is are you checking your inch loss and how are your clothes fitting on you? How are you feeling physically? If you feel great , then not to worry as eventually it will come off , try not to watch the scale so much. That has happened to me as well, and now it seems to be coming off a little easier. Good luck and I hope I helped a little.:smile:

It takes MONTHS to put on one pound of muscle.. just sayin'.
  • hagamivida
    Options
    You are stwrving yourself with that few calories and that much exercise. Up your calories, dear, and eat back the calories you work off in exercise. Not kidding.
  • medicrenee
    medicrenee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    you should be eating min 1200 , and if you are exercising that much then you are prob eating too few cals.
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Your starving yourself
  • swimbikerun2006
    swimbikerun2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with other others....when you are working out that much, you need more than 1200 calories a day. It is easy to be discouraged and therefore sometimes necessitates that the focus not be on the scales but on how much better you feel with the exercising and eathing healthy.

As for losing the will to live. If that statement is from the heart, please seek professional care. Please. Your Doctor can help you with that.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Despite people telling you all sorts of rubbish on here like "1200kCal or less is too little" yada yada waffle waffle...

The simple reason is you're not creating an actual deficit with your calories, so you're probably thinking you're putting less calories in than you actually are, and burning more than you actually are or one or the other. You could also be retaining some water.

I didn't notice any change 'til after about 6 weeks by the way then it started falling off. If you;re serious about weight loss, you have to be serious about the lifestyle that comes with it. So you must make this sustainable. And not give up so soon. 4 weeks is not very long.
  • aml1974
    Options
    same thing here... its frustrating... but my PT told me i need to incorporate strength training into my cardio... building muscle mass burns more calories...

give it more time.. this doesnt happen overnight. good luck!

Good advice that is exactly what I train to. I alternate my cardio training with my strength I attend the gym 4 times a week for 1 hour a time and I aim to eat 800 of my 1200 calories - working for me so the advice I was given was great for me. Cardio training burns calories but strength training will continue to burn calories when you get home as the muscle has to repair itself,. Also the less you have to lose the slower it will come off those with a greater goal to reach lose weight faster at the start watching ITV Biggest loser proves this. Best of luck
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more..
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options

It takes MONTHS to put on one pound of muscle.. just sayin'.

Women can only gain up to 12lbs of muscle a year (and that's with SPOT ON training and diet), so yeah, people overestimate the "building lean muscle/getting rid of fat" time frame more often than not. Not to wander off from the OP's post, but it definitely doesn't happen in a month!
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Don't lose the will to live... no matter your weight or size, be grateful that you are alive...

No matter what, remember this! Good Luck on your journey.
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You should NEVER eat below 1200 cals...and if your doing that much activity, you should be eating way more!!! As someone that lost 83lbs and has kept it off for almost a year...i have learned that i def had poor results when i was not eating the right amount!! WHen i ate according to my workouts and activity is when i had the best weeks.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    same thing here... its frustrating... but my PT told me i need to incorporate strength training into my cardio... building muscle mass burns more calories...

give it more time.. this doesnt happen overnight. good luck!

Good advice that is exactly what I train to. I alternate my cardio training with my strength I attend the gym 4 times a week for 1 hour a time and I aim to eat 800 of my 1200 calories - working for me so the advice I was given was great for me. Cardio training burns calories but strength training will continue to burn calories when you get home as the muscle has to repair itself,. Also the less you have to lose the slower it will come off those with a greater goal to reach lose weight faster at the start watching ITV Biggest loser proves this. Best of luck

BUT you need to eat MORE to gain muscle! PLUS, why do you only eat 800 of your calories? Are you aiming to be skinny or healthy? :L
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE, like alot
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Despite people telling you all sorts of rubbish on here like "1200kCal or less is too little" yada yada waffle waffle...

The simple reason is you're not creating an actual deficit with your calories, so you're probably thinking you're putting less calories in than you actually are, and burning more than you actually are or one or the other. You could also be retaining some water.

I didn't notice any change 'til after about 6 weeks by the way then it started falling off. If you;re serious about weight loss, you have to be serious about the lifestyle that comes with it. So you must make this sustainable. And not give up so soon. 4 weeks is not very long.

Seriously? :huh:
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE... and see a doctor for that will to live thing... might be a problem later.