Gained weight!

Options
How the hell have i gained a 1lb. i have exercised more in the last 10 days than i have for years!! Apart from 1 day i have either been under or around the calorie mark. It's just so confusing.
Prior to following MFP i had lost 5lb
When i started on MFP i cut out full cream milk and decreased my sugar in drinks!
Has this happened to anyone else??
Hopefully next week will be a loss trouble is i am limited on exercise due to a dodgy knee.....

Replies

• FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem. I've gained 3 lbs in the past 15 days. :/ I feel like I'm doing everything right (staying under 1200, working out at least 30-60 minutes each day), and yet the scale has gone up. I'm very disappointed. I'm going to start measuring myself to see if I'm losing inches even if I'm not losing weight.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Measureing tape needs to come out- take your measurements and check them maybe every other week to see where you stand with loosing inches. Plus you may have gained that 1 lb in muscle since you are working out. Keep up the good work, you can do this!
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Measureing tape needs to come out- take your measurements and check them maybe every other week to see where you stand with loosing inches. Plus you may have gained that 1 lb in muscle since you are working out. Keep up the good work, you can do this!

I would definitely agree
  • phlpsfamily01
    phlpsfamily01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    if you're working out you're building muscle, would be ideal if you could figure you BMI and continually check that to be sure you're losing fat.
  • itbemekm
    Options
    I also gained weight! Up 1.8 lbs. I too have worked out more this week than I have in years! I'm on to week two, and I hope to see some results in the scale.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm doing everything right (staying under 1200, working out at least 30-60 minutes each day)...

this is debatable. you might want to do a bit of research or playing around with your calories to see if this is the best method for you. in many cases (not all, but many) such a drastic decrease of calories can have just the opposite effect of what you want. best of luck to you!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You can all relax. The numbers on the scale fluctuate. You retain water and yada yada, it's ok. Drink plenty of water, enjoy the good numbers and don't let the bad ones get you down. Shoot I've seen the scale go up nearly two pounds in a day after a great day of eating right and working out. It's temporary. Just stick with it and you'll get there.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    it is just water weight because you have been exercising your muscles need it to heal, give your self a rest day to let them heal, then try jumping on the scale after that day

also if you are eating the bare minimum 1200 cals make sure you eat all you exercise calories back, for example you eat 1200 then burn 300 cals, you are left with 900, that is not enough for you body to function and it will hold on to weight because it thinks you are starving... also if you were a person that consumed less than 1200 cals before you started here and eating 1200 is alot for you, your body has to adjust to eat that many calories as well, you will gain a little at first but then the weight will start coming off, that was my problem, I never ate enough so my body held on to its fat, now there are days I eat so much I feel like I am gonna explode but after about a month it just started falling off dont worry you will get there :wink:
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You can all relax. The numbers on the scale fluctuate. You retain water and yada yada, it's ok. Drink plenty of water, enjoy the good numbers and don't let the bad ones get you down. Shoot I've seen the scale go up nearly two pounds in a day after a great day of eating right and working out. It's temporary. Just stick with it and you'll get there.

Exactly this. :flowerforyou:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

I would definitely agree

You think you gain 1 lb of muscle in a week while on a deficit? Yea...... no.

Water weight is a crazy thing.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I agree completely! Try not to let the number on the scale define your efforts. Just know that the numbers WILL fluctuate.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    She is NOT gaining muscle at 1200 calories a day. I repeat, She is NOT gaining muscle at 1200 calories a day. Its water retention. Nothing to get all in arms about. True weight trends are seen week to week or every month to month. I also suggest taking measurements as you can lose fat without seeing it on the scale.
  • wendyd18
    Options
    Thanks for all your support, it really does help!! My daughter bless her said our scales are rubbish and not to trust them, so i am going to check my weight on the wii when i finish work for a more accurate reading lol
    Worse thing is im now off exercise with a bad knee :(
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Please give your body time to adjust to the changes and "get with the program".

Keep up the hard work and you'll see the loss. There are tons of reasons the body holds onto water, etc....but if you're eating right and working out, you WILL see a loss.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I was told in Weight Watchers that someone who has been somewhat sedentary and starts working out should expect to see potentially no weight loss or a slight weight gain (up to 5lbs) for as long as 6 wks. The reason is the muscle builds up for that long before it begins to plateau, but one should see a decrease of fat. I understand the frustration, I'm going through that myself. But as long as we are eating healthy and taking care of our bodies, then we should be patient and we shall be rewarded in His time.

I just upped my calories from 1340 to 1450 with 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat. I'm going to try this for a couple weeks along with my exercise routine getting bumped up a notch & see if get the results I want. I so badly wanted to lose 30lbs in 3 months as a personal commitment to myself. <sigh> I'm only 10 in so far, been doing this since Jan 2. I'm still down 50lbs total from a couple yrs ago, so it's all progress, right?
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I mean 60lbs!!! LOL!!
  • animatej24
    Options
    check your sodium (salt) intake this happens to alot of people they work out really hard and in turn end up drinking tons of water like they should but if your sodium content isn't down it will cause you to hold that water in which will cause water weight that might be your problem if so just cut really down on the sodium and that will come off in like 2 days hope this helps
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Working out causes damage to muscles that needs to be repaired. To repair the muscles the body retains water in the muscles.

Also, eat at least some portion of your calories back from the workouts if you aren't.

Give it a chance to work. It's not a fast process.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've gained 4# since the first of the year with diet and exercise. Who knows what's going on! :sad: I've lost more weight than this eating crap! Don't give up! Hang in there! It has to start coming off eventually!
  • losingtwenty4miami
    Options
    R u lifting? You'll find that when you do strength training, it's easier to see the scale go up rather than drop. Don't be discouraged though, because you're drastically changing your body, becoming tone and fit, and gaining muscle. My advice, stop focusing so much on weight and focus on your measurements and body fat percentage. I myself have gained 2lbs over the last week, but I see more definition in my abs and back and I've been following my diet with no freebies.