Should I go to the doctor?

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
For the past week, my left wrist has been hurting. It's not swollen or red, it just hurts with certain movements. It doesn't hurt when I move my hand up and down but if I try to move it side to side it hurts. I hurts to lift a glass of water if I turn my hand, I can't put the dishes up using my left hand and it hurts if I touch my wrist bone and below. I don't know what I might have done to it??? Any suggestions?

Memaw

Replies

• memaw66
    Options
    For the past week, my left wrist has been hurting. It's not swollen or red, it just hurts with certain movements. It doesn't hurt when I move my hand up and down but if I try to move it side to side it hurts. I hurts to lift a glass of water if I turn my hand, I can't put the dishes up using my left hand and it hurts if I touch my wrist bone and below. I don't know what I might have done to it??? Any suggestions?

Memaw
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Once again, sounds llke a strained ligament or tendon, I would suggest that you get a wrist brace (you can purchase them at Wallie world, or any pharmacy) wear it , and see if that doesn't help...best to you always, Rick
  • memaw66
    Options
    Thanks Rick. I think I will pick one up this weekend at Wally World.
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    Try tucking your thumb in your fist and then bend your wrist down. If that hurts down your hand from the thumb down it might be tendonitis. I'd probably go to the doc...good luck!
  • memaw66
    Options
    Try tucking your thumb in your fist and then bend your wrist down. If that hurts down your hand from the thumb down it might be tendonitis. I'd probably go to the doc...good luck!
    It doesn't really hurt but it feels like I am really stretching it out!??? If it doesn't stop hurting in a day or so, I will go. It started hurting on Sunday so it has been almost a full week already.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation...

do what rick says, get the compression braclet at wallie world....

don't over stretch or you might strain (involvement of tendons and muscles) or sprain (ligaments only) it more...while there aren't many muscles involved in moving the hand sided to side (around four major muscles and some smaller ones create this movement), there are several ligaments within the hand, so it could be either a strain OR a sprain....could even be both!

sprains are more serious since ligaments don't have blood supply and are specified by three different grades: I, II, or III....if you don't have swelling, you could just have a grade I sprain....

so rest your hand/wrist for about 24-48 hours, then start introducting some small circular movements, side to side movements, and flexing/extending the hand at the wrist (the up/down movement)...be slow, methodical, and gentle...

you can take a small styrofoam/dixie cup, fill it with water and freeze it and then swirl around the affected area...at first you'll feel the cold, then a freezerburn-type feeling, then it will numb...make sure you ice til it's numb or the icing won't do much good! (i know it uncomfortable, but the positive effects really won't take place until it's acheived)...do this up to 2 times an hour when you can...you can ice from 48-72 hours...if the pain goes beyond this, you really should go to the doctor...

to elevate, most folks will put their hand behind their head like they're doing a tricep exercise and just let it hang there...you can let your forearm rest on your head, do this when you can or if you feel a throbbing sensation....

some folks would also use an NSAID (non-steroidal anit-inflammatory drug) like ibuprophen to help reduce inflammation and possible swelling...

you can do this for other sprains/strains as well! strains are easily treated at home using RICE, but sprains are more severe, and really should be monitored by a doctor...

take it easy, memaw! you only have two wrists! :smile:

mfr could be right, though...it could be tendonitis, maybe even the start of carpal tunnel...just be mindful of what you feel, research, and be good to that body you work so hard on!:flowerforyou:
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Tendonitis can get pretty painful! Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou: