Surprised by how many people cant spell "lose"

Options
rsmithy89
rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
I see this all over any fitness forum.

Everyone seems to spell "lose" as "loose". Its LOSE people. It isn't difficult.

If this post can educate just one person to spell it correctly, I will be a happier man.

Peace.

Replies

• KristenCassandra
    KristenCassandra Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Like.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Jeez, don't loose your cool over it ;)

tumblr_lyua19tKZQ1r085d1.gif
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it happens all the time but you are just going to have to deal with it. There are a ton of threads about this topic already.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Sorry that spelling lose as loose gets your panties in a wad.. but really, is it all that big a deal? As far as I know, there hasn't been any grammar police assigned to this site as of yet.. so let people say what they want to say and how they want to say it and how they want to spell it. I mean everyone knows what they are trying to say anyway and if you don't like the way they spell it. GET OVER IT! and move on to another post.

For pete's sake (and yes that's not what I wanted to say here FFS) just give it a rest with the spelling police already, not everyone is perfect.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget about those people who can't use proper puncuation either!! sooo totally annoying when commas, apostrophes, and periods aren't used at all........
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I see this all over any fitness forum.

Everyone seems to spell "lose" as "loose". Its LOSE people. It isn't difficult.

If this post can educate just one person to spell it correctly, I will be a happier man.

Peace.

And if someone could educate you on how to use the search function none of this would have been necessary.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Maybe it should be in the board FAQ.:wink:
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    It's a logical error when you stop and think about it.

The pronunciation of lose has the longer vowel sound, yet loose has the shorter vowel sound.

So for someone trying to work it out who hasn't committed the spellings to memory, they are making a decent guess based on the spoken word.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I am a grammar nazi! I can't stand people even getting the words 'you're' and 'your' mixed up.

Example: your so cool!

You're = a shortened version of you + are. It's not that difficult to work out =/
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    And if someone could educate you on how to use the search function none of this would have been necessary.

^^^
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    Some common mistakes that I've posted before;

1) Using the third person conditional twice in a sentence when it should have only been used once. For example:
    The sentence: If I'd read the book, I'd have passed the test. The sentence should conjugate as: if I had read the book, I'd have passed the test.
    2) The incorrect use of don't and doesn't, don't is the negative first person singular and doesn't is the negative third person singular.(make sure it relates to the object receiving the action.)
    3) Most verbs of motion are used incorrectly: when you view something from a point of arrival you always use the verb to bring and when you view something from a point of departure you always use the verb to take.
    4) The incorrect use of fewer and less: if the item is a countable quantity the word fewer should be used and if it's not less should be used.
    5) To have and "of": whenever you form a compound tense relating to an action that implies the past it uses "have" (excluding the preterit), for example: I will have cooked, I have cooked, I had cooked and I would have cooked.

*edited* for a grammar mistake :laugh:
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that English is not the primary language for a lot of people around here... including me... so I am so sorry if some words are not spelled correctly. I would love to see you write in French...
  • Suzieqt81
    Suzieqt81 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Like.

Lol...it's true though...lose, loose, tomorrow, your and you're lol
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    We all want to lose so our pants will be loose! :drinker:
  • JenJupiter
    Options
    Like it...I loathe "loose" when meaning lose.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Is it a big deal that native English-speakers can't correctly write or speak English? Yes, that is a big deal, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if we weren't so quick to accept mediocrity and failure, we'd all be better off.

And I don't understand why people who can't spell are allowed to say whatever they want, but the grammar Nazis aren't. That's a little bit completely hypocritical.
  • jimthix10
    Options
    Eye no! It's sew re****ulos how meney peepol cant spell werds corectally.Goe bak too scool!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    LMAO because the topic placed above this in 'Recent Forum Topics' is:

"Need advice before I loose the will to live :("

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jimthix10
    Options
    HA! My incorrect spelling got edited.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options