VO2 max

Options
Ok guys my lovely wife has bought me a Polar FT7 and now I have logged into the Polar website hoping to get some understanding of what it can do and such. I put my details into the site in the hope that it can help me develop a suitable programme for exercise and it is asking me for a VO2 max value. Now, I know what VO2 max is but I can't figure out how the heck I measure, or get a value!

If anyone has the FT7, can they help me out here?

Thanks

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I own a Polar FT40 and it has it's own built in test. I did remember running across a older MFP thread that had some information that could help you. Or at least point you in the right direction
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/182060-polar-ft7-fit-test

from that thread:
    There was a link for VO2 max on the Polar forum which has several tests for calculating your VO2 max. Here is the link:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

hope that helps.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT7 does not use Vo2max as far as I know... and if it did, there is should be a test that it can preform to figure it out for you.

Is it possible that you have an F7 and not a FT7?
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT7 does not use Vo2max as far as I know... and if it did, there is should be a test that it can preform to figure it out for you.

Definitely the FT7. It is more likely that it is there and I have not Sussed it yet. I am not the worlds best tech bod!
    Thanks
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I own a Polar FT40 and it has it's own built in test. I did remember running across a older MFP thread that had some information that could help you. Or at least point you in the right direction
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/182060-polar-ft7-fit-test

from that thread:
    There was a link for VO2 max on the Polar forum which has several tests for calculating your VO2 max. Here is the link:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

hope that helps.

I will chase that thread later. Thanks
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Definitely the FT7. It is more likely that it is there and I have not Sussed it yet. I am not the worlds best tech bod!
    Thanks

There isn't one then.. Only the FT40 and up use Vo2max.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm late getting to this party but let me add my two cents. I bought a Polar FT7 because it calculates calorie expenditure. However, it's showing 120 calories burned when I work out for 40 minutes. The trainer and I discussed it and that's too low.

I emailed Polar and they finally got back to me today. This is what they provided:
    The amount of Kcal or calories burned are based on several factors

· Height
    · Weight
    · Fit Level
    · VO2 Value
    · Max HR
    · HRV (heart rate variability)
    · Exercise intensity
    · Duration of Exercise.

If you entered all the correct information in the receiver, please check the VO2 value. If the VO2 is too high it will make the calories much higher as supposed to the correct amount burned. If it is too low then it will show a low amount of calories burned. Your VO2 is based on your Fit Level, the better fit you are the higher the number of the VO2. And vise versa
    with a low score.

The Polar FT7 does not have a Fitness test future. You may want upgrade to the Polar FT40. This unit is a model above the FT7 and includes a Fitness test future that calculates your VO2 value.

The Best way to acquire a accurate VO2 value is by taking a stress test at your doctor’s office or you can check with your local Gym and see if they take fitness Tests and can give you your Max HR and your VO2 value.