end of the road at work :(

Options
2»

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    thankyou Aesop :)

I do have a contingency plan which would allow me to do many things that i do with employment now.

So do you regret quitting?

Sometimes we look back and forget why we made the choices we made. On that choice, I will never forget the reason or reasons. So no I don't regret it. It was an enormous relief. I've forgiven the people that caused me to leave a job I love but the forgiveness wasn't for their sake it was for mine. It was allow me to move on.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was in that same position years ago when I worked full time as an Administrative Assistant. I used to cry before going to work because I hated it so much. I worked as an Admin Asst for 8 years and got sick up typing up someone else's crap and sitting in meeting after meeting taking the notes and transcribing them and working late. I didnt feel like I was making a difference. Yes the pay was great and I got benefits and vacation and all that good stuff but I wasnt happy. When the bank I worked for merged with another bank they gave us the option of staying on or being laid off. I chose to be laid off, collected my severance and unemployment and went back to school full time fo 1 year for Physical Education. After 1 year of going to school full time, I got a job working for a gym and continued school part time. From there I became a personal trainer...where I actually make a difference in people's lives. I got my Certification through the American Council on Exercise and then started woking full time for Planet Fitness.

Good job! Way to follow your dreams!
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are and I also know what it's like to work a job you absolutely love and have a passion for. Having been in THAT type of job, I can NEVER settle for less again. I think when a person says they have a family so they can't leave the job they hate, that is a cop out. Anyone can form a plan and make a move. Don't quit your job before you have another one! But, absolutely don't waste your life in a job you hate. Life is too short and it's not worth it! You owe it to yourself, your family, and your employer to be happy and love your work. Don't stop until you find a good fit, both the right company and the best position for who you are.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your experiences guys, Its made me feel positive as i do get holidays, sick pay, but i do feel undervalued, I have worked in a place for 5 years and in comparison to others i am not considered. I spoke to my management last week and they obviously do not have a clue about what work i do and what the market actually pays.

Could you look abroad? We've just moved from the UK to Aus and my OH is paid double what he was in the UK, he's far more valued and has loads more training opportunities too. Not sure if Accountants are on the shortage occupation list?
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your experiences guys, Its made me feel positive as i do get holidays, sick pay, but i do feel undervalued, I have worked in a place for 5 years and in comparison to others i am not considered. I spoke to my management last week and they obviously do not have a clue about what work i do and what the market actually pays.

Could you look abroad? We've just moved from the UK to Aus and my OH is paid double what he was in the UK, he's far more valued and has loads more training opportunities too. Not sure if Accountants are on the shortage occupation list?

I agree. Plus as a foreigner you'll get more points with the ladies ;)