ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE DUKAN DIET??

Options
Hiya

So I've started the dukan diet and I was wondering whether anyone has actually successfully completed the dukan diet and if so, have they managed to maintain their weightloss???

I've heard negative things about this diet such as it having a 'yo-yo' effect, I.e. you lose weight and then gain it all back, if not more once you get into your normal eating habits!

So pleeeeease do post your experiences here. Thank you :)

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I started it and lost 10lbs. Then I couldn't afford it anymore. Started using MFP and lost another 20 lbs. I didn't gain anything back.

For me, it was a great way to jump start my weight loss, but now I have a 5lb bag of oat bran in my pantry that I have no idea what to do with!

It worked for me, but it wasn't the kind of lifestyle I wanted after two weeks into the program. I need veggies every day!
  • shazy83
    Options
    Hi

Thank you so much for your response. Wow congrats on the weight loss so far :) So you didn't gain any of it back which is good right? It is very hard as the diet is soo restricted. What's your calorie allowance in mfp? What sorts of foods are you eating now? Ate you still pretty much sticking to a high protein diet?
  • BarbelleBaby
    Options
    I'm currently on the Duakn Diet but I log here so I have a good idea of what macros I'm eating :)

Obviously I'm nowhere near to finishing it, but half the point in the Dukan is that you get into good habits. I can imagine that a lot of people fail once they reach their goal weight, but this is general; not just related to having followed the Dukan guidelines. This is why it is really important to follow phase 3 and 4 of the Dukan Diet: It helps you to slowly get back into a normal diet rather than jumping straight in with too many carbs and piling weight back on. I'm pretty sure that if you're strict enough you won't put weight back on... maybe continues to log during phase 3 would be a good idea - I know I will.

It sounds restrictive but my favourite things to eat are meat and vegetables, so I don't feel limited, I enjoy what I eat and I use the foods that are 'allowed' and 'tolerated' to come up with nice things to eat. I'll often have spicy chicken and veg, lemon and thyme tuna with peppers and onions. I eat fat free natural yogurt with low fat/ carb chocolate powder when I want something sweet. I have had no problems, had the odd day where I've had something 'naughty' and have lost around 2 and a half stone so far.

I've never felt better. You have to realise that it is up to the individual to keep the weight off, not the 'diet' :)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

For me, it was a great way to jump start my weight loss, but now I have a 5lb bag of oat bran in my pantry that I have no idea what to do with!

Try the recipe I posted a while ago! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332887-low-carb-chocolate-oatbran-muffins?hl=dukan+chocolate+muffin#posts-4463093

As for Dukan, I honestly can't afford it. Meat is just so expensive. Two people I know have done it - one with great success (she lost around 50lbs and has kept it off for six months after returning to normal eating with the 'Dukan Thursday' of pure protein) and one with little success (he loses 7lbs in a week, returns to normal eating, puts it all back on in a week, and repeats the yo-yo several times a year).
  • I think you can do something similar without being so restrictive. The results may not be as immense in the short term, but in the long term you're more likely to keep the weight off and continue losing until you reach your goal weight.

Why don't you just adjust your protein:fat:carbs ratio in MFP and work from that? Ensure you meet the calories that MFP sets for you (1200 calories for me) but make up the calories using high protein foods and ensure you do some exercise as well.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for years and I've found none of them work in the long term; that's not to say they're not a good tool to base a long term lifestyle change on though. You just need to make sure whatever you do you make it sustainable. All the best x
  • thirteenblessings
    Options
    I did not successfully complete it. I started it in July of 2011 and lost about 15 pounds quite quickly (I'd say within the first month). I stalled out at a 15 pound loss for about a month, despite faithfully following the diet (I need to lose 30 pounds so I was halfway there). I also started developing too much uric acid and had little red stones in my urine which was alarming to me, and my Dr. Shortly after I really just got tired of eating only meat and veggies and the thought of eating another plain chicken breast made me want to throw up. So I started slowly incorporating carbs in about October of 2011, per my Dr's instruction as this diet was quite literally harmful to my health. I quickly regained the 15 pounds I had lost and alas, here I am, doing it the old fashioned way. Weight loss isn't as fast, but it's healthier and it's working, slowly but surely.

I wish you all the best, I know of many people who have had great successes on this diet, just wasn't for me. There's a great DD group on FB that you might want to consider joining. There's good advice and inspiration on there!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thank you so much for your response. Wow congrats on the weight loss so far :) So you didn't gain any of it back which is good right? It is very hard as the diet is soo restricted. What's your calorie allowance in mfp? What sorts of foods are you eating now? Ate you still pretty much sticking to a high protein diet?

I eat EVERYTHING! I've lost 20 MFP pounds eating everything from salads to rice chips, and I don't restrict myself from hamburgers or beer (which I consume in moderation). I don't do well with restrictive diets. My philosophy is why restrict anything during your weight loss and then say it's okay when you are at maintenance? MFP has taught me (or maybe it was me FINALLY being ready for a change) that the "bad" stuff is okay once in a while as long as I'm not constantly fueling my body with crap.

In fact, I ate some fast food for lunch the other day (forgot my lunch) and was SICK until bedtime. I was still under my calories for the day, but MAN was I sick! I guess my body is starting to get used to how it's supposed to work :)

OH, and thanks for the oat bran recipe! I will most definitely use it!

ETA: My calorie allowance is just above 1400 per day. Forgot to answer that heehee!
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My mother did it last year and lost 28lbs. She still does it to maintain though she did gain a few pounds over Xmas she has lost nearly all of it again.

I researched it for myself and knew it wasn't for me. If you do try it best of luck :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!