Half marathon training frustration

Options
Hey all, I'm really frustrated right now. I'm training to run my first half marathon, and it's coming up in about six weeks! I've been doing great with my training schedule.... until today. I was supposed to do a tempo run, with a mile warm up, 4 miles tempo, and a mile cool down... and I totally and completely failed. I felt really physically tired from the get-go, and I just couldn't get my mental energy up... I only ended up doing 2 of the 4 miles.

So, I'm REALLY frustrated and mad at myself. I can't believe I didn't complete my run. And now I'm worried, because of course it only gets harder from here. What do I do if I can't do the tempo run next week? (Which is faster and adds another mile.) Have I totally screwed up and is this going to mess up my training altogether?

I'm obviously not an expert runner, so if anyone has advice/suggestions or has been in the same boat I would love to hear it.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm really frustrated right now. I'm training to run my first half marathon, and it's coming up in about six weeks! I've been doing great with my training schedule.... until today. I was supposed to do a tempo run, with a mile warm up, 4 miles tempo, and a mile cool down... and I totally and completely failed. I felt really physically tired from the get-go, and I just couldn't get my mental energy up... I only ended up doing 2 of the 4 miles.

So, I'm REALLY frustrated and mad at myself. I can't believe I didn't complete my run. And now I'm worried, because of course it only gets harder from here. What do I do if I can't do the tempo run next week? (Which is faster and adds another mile.) Have I totally screwed up and is this going to mess up my training altogether?

I'm obviously not an expert runner, so if anyone has advice/suggestions or has been in the same boat I would love to hear it.

Thanks everyone.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Oh don't worry-you will be fine. I have been running for 2 years and have completed 4 halves and 1 full, numerous shorter runs. Everyone has days and runs like that. Don't beat yourself up about it. If you are getting your long runs in and this is the only time you haven't completed a run you are doing great! Maybe you just needed a bit of a rest to let your muscles recover and get stronger.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I'm no expert runner either, but everyone has their bad runs. At least I do. Don't beat yourself up and don't think of it as a failure, think of it as a learning experience. Ask yourself what was different about today that made it so difficult to finish.

Also, you might be training a little too hard. Our bodies need rest, and yours just might be saying, "Whoa - hold on a minute!". Try taking a day or two off from the running, maybe get on the elliptical or swim or take a spinning class to stay active, but keep it low impact. I bet if you do that, then your next run will be a piece of cake.

Whatever you do, don't give up!
  • smagnan
    smagnan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've run one half marathon in my life, just so I could check it off my life list of things to do. Believe me one run is going to make or break you. Like Kimono said your long runs are really what count. Make sure you complete those and on the same surface as the race, another mistake I made. I trained all on dirt roads and the race was on pavement.... big difference.

I wish you the best of luck! It is a fun time and a good challenge of yourself!
  • smagnan
    smagnan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My bad I was rereading as I hit the reply and I meant to say was

Believe me one run is NOT going to make or break you.

I repeat is NOT going to make that much of a difference!!!

sorry about that
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You know what, I'm training for my 3rd half marathon (in 9 days!) and I still find tempo runs hard!!!

As for finishing your first half, do NOT sweat the tempo runs. Just get in the mileage the best that you can, the long runs are the most important ones. I only did 10 miles as my longest run before my first half and I finished fine. :bigsmile:

Good luck!!

Jess
  • jesneverhome
    jesneverhome Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i ran my first full marathon last year. I never even did the tempo training but i almost always completed the long runs. i had an injury to my foot and missed the 20 mile run which is the longest run in training and a month b4 the big day. i did fine on the marathon. missing one run doesnt make or break you. you'll be fine.
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I feel a lot better now! :)
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think it is GREAT that you are training for a half marathon..that alone is a HUGE accomplishment.
    It may not be what you want, but its huge!!

I CANNOT run to save my life. I just started jogging on the treadmill and I was just able to go for 3 minutes....I can't imagine 3 or 4 MILES.

So you do the best you can and know that you are doing great!!!

Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I just wanted to say that Tempo runs are very hard for me too. I find them easier on the treadmill because you don't need to find that pace naturally-you just push a button. But doing a tempo run outside is a challenge.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I think it is GREAT that you are training for a half marathon..that alone is a HUGE accomplishment.
    It may not be what you want, but its huge!!

I CANNOT run to save my life. I just started jogging on the treadmill and I was just able to go for 3 minutes....I can't imagine 3 or 4 MILES.

So you do the best you can and know that you are doing great!!!

Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:

Hey, keep it up and you'll get there! I started on the treadmill in January doing two minute run/three minute walk cycles, and yesterday I ran four miles straight! I didn't think I could do it when I started either, but there I was, grinning like an idiot when I finished. If I can do it, so can you!