Breadless BLT

Options
AlannaPie
AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
This is a great idea. Instead of using bread, use a nice firm piece of lettuce around your sandwiches.

Bake your bacon for less calories, add a few slices of tomato, and a tablespoon of light mayonaise. You're looking at a tastey 250 calorie lunch. And who doesn't want bacon!!

Replies

• AlannaPie
    Options
    This is a great idea. Instead of using bread, use a nice firm piece of lettuce around your sandwiches.

Bake your bacon for less calories, add a few slices of tomato, and a tablespoon of light mayonaise. You're looking at a tastey 250 calorie lunch. And who doesn't want bacon!!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    yum!
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    I do not want bacon....maybe that is because I am a vegetarian:laugh:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I'll have hers!!!!!!
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    so funny! I had this for dinner tonight with turkey bacon and avacado!
  • sbennett23
    sbennett23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This sound sooooo good! I'll have to try it!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    why would baking the bacon reduce its calorie content?
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Why would you skip on the bread??!!! Your body needs and has to have complex carbs such as 100% whole grain bread. Don't do that to yourself.
  • AshAndrews
    Options
    I'm thinkin along the same lines as LuckyLeprechaun. Bacon is bacon. It is not meant to be low-cal necessarily, but it is tasty! Sounds good to me!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    how much bacon did you use?
    I had 1 slice multigrain bread, 3 slices bacon, 1 tbl miracle whip with lettuce (no tomatoes left) and it only came to 205 cal. It was a good lunch size.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    why would baking the bacon reduce its calorie content?

This is true actually, If you but the bacon on a double pan that drains the fat it reduces the fat content b/c it does not cook in and absorb it's own fat, the fat drains to the pan underneath...
  • AlannaPie
    Options
    I use the George Foreman grill or a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. Draining the excess fat cuts out some of that crap
  • jds916
    jds916 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    so i really like the sara lee light bread. it's 45 calories a slice, the multigrain is really good!

also, the morning star (veggie) bacon is really good. like bacon bits but in whole strips. FYI bacon bits aren't meat. Here's the nutrition (10g of protein):

* Sara Lee, Delightful Wheat Bread, 1 slice, 2 serving (90 cal)
    *Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips 2 per serving, 2 serving (4 strips) (120 cal)
    * Kraft Miracle Whip Light Dressing, 1 tbsp (20 cal)

Calories 230.0
    Total Fat 11.5 g
    Saturated Fat 1.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 4.2 mg
    Sodium 811.4 mg
    Potassium 33.7 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
    Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
    Sugars 3.6 g
    Protein 10.1 g

Real bacon is like 46 calories a slice. so you can make the substitution.