Motorcyclists: Winter riding?

Options
_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
Hey guys,
I live in michigan, and we have been having weird weather this winter. Jumping up to high forties, low teens, snow, slush, clear roads, everything. Ive seen a lot of people out on their bikes, and I have been SUPER jealous. I dont have a garage, so I keep my bike at my dads for the winter (1.5 hours away), and due to the randomness of the weather, I cant really keep my bike in the carport. Just wondering if anyone is lucky enough to have got some winter riding in?

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Not us, bike's at the shop and it's too cold for winter riding here.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My husband rides all year long. He can only get car pool parking pass or a motorcycle pass for work…so riding it is. He has one of those winter full body suites - looks funny to me. I go out on back in the winter, but my limit is 40 degree weather. This winter has been so mild though so it’s been awesome. If there is any moisture on the road (snow, sleet, freezing rain etc) he won’t risk it though.

Funny you mention the garage thing because we bought a house last year and it was the only thing he cared about. It MUST have a garage for the motorcycles.
  • wsogden87
    wsogden87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey... we live in Indiana, so I know what you mean about having weird weather! lol My whole family- dad brother grandpa uncles and my husband have motorcycles. And my dad actually stopped by our house yesterday on his! I wish we could have gotten out for awhile, but it didn't happen. :(
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I took a ride yesterday to test out my Contour HD camera. It was in the 50s (WAY warm for January) too! I ride all winter long when there's not snow/ice on the ground. I've even had to ride home in the pouring snow twice because I didn't believe the weatherman.

JM
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I ride year round. As long as it's not raining and there is no ice on the ground. Rode in today. 39 degrees.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    We're in NH and I saw a lot of folks out last week when it was in the 40s-50s. My bike is getting ready for new saddle bags and an engine guard right now - so no riding for me! My husband has been jonesing pretty bad and I expect to see his bike polished up and ready to go pretty soon! This is unheard of so early in NH!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    We live in CT. My husband bought heated grips and a heated jacket for winter riding. He'll ride until about 22 degrees. He doesn't ride if it is wet or if wet is predicted when it is cold. He doesn't mind rain. He normally wears full gear - even in the summer - so he's pretty warm. We don't have a garage either. He moved the riding lawn mower out of the shed so his bike could have a nice and warm home. I guess that's better than having it in the livingroom.

Lots of people give him grief about riding in the rain or in the cold, but hey whatever. As long as he's happy and safe.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I live in western South Dakota and conditions permitting, I ride every month of the year. I'll ride into the 30's but below that, its just a little too chilly. No snow here at all this winter, roads are great, no gravel. I went out around town for an hour yesterday. chilly at 45 degrees but a nice ride overall.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    We live in CT. My husband bought heated grips and a heated jacket for winter riding. He'll ride until about 22 degrees. He doesn't ride if it is wet or if wet is predicted when it is cold. He doesn't mind rain. He normally wears full gear - even in the summer - so he's pretty warm. We don't have a garage either. He moved the riding lawn mower out of the shed so his bike could have a nice and warm home. I guess that's better than having it in the livingroom.

Lots of people give him grief about riding in the rain or in the cold, but hey whatever. As long as he's happy and safe.

I'm right in this category. I've got a pic in front of one of those big digital temp readouts at a back. It is 9ºF on the readout. I try to avoid riding if it's below freezing AND the roads are wet or rain is predicted.

JM
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I too live in Michigan. And while the weather has been good enough to ride, my bike is stored in the back of a heated garage. I would have to move too much stuff to get it out for a short ride.