My new motivation

Options
I was logging my dinner yesterday when the phone rang. I mindlessly got up from the computer and walked away. When I got off the phone I found my husband looking at my info.

Now this is where I have a terrible secret......after 16 1/2 years together (9 married), I have NEVER told him my weight...not even when I was pregnant.

You can imagine my horror:embarassed: when I saw the numbers there staring up at him from the monitor as big as life. I was mortified, embarrassed, angry, and shaking- will he think less of me- needless to say, it didn't take long for me to hit the road in my barely used sneakers. I didn't even want to look at his face. I just wanted a hole to swallow me up.

He never did say anything. He can be such a gracious man.....or he felt guilty looking at my private stuff. Either way....it's given me new motivation.

Replies

• Lynn661
    Lynn661 Posts: 28
    Options
    I was logging my dinner yesterday when the phone rang. I mindlessly got up from the computer and walked away. When I got off the phone I found my husband looking at my info.

Now this is where I have a terrible secret......after 16 1/2 years together (9 married), I have NEVER told him my weight...not even when I was pregnant.

You can imagine my horror:embarassed: when I saw the numbers there staring up at him from the monitor as big as life. I was mortified, embarrassed, angry, and shaking- will he think less of me- needless to say, it didn't take long for me to hit the road in my barely used sneakers. I didn't even want to look at his face. I just wanted a hole to swallow me up.

He never did say anything. He can be such a gracious man.....or he felt guilty looking at my private stuff. Either way....it's given me new motivation.
  • B4baby3
    B4baby3 Posts: 17
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My husband and I had been together for 13 years (married for 6 of those) before I told him how much I weighed. And the only reason I did was because I wanted some accountability, we were dieting together for the first time. It was a good thing though, it allowed me to be real with someone who would never judge me. it was good motivation! Good luck!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    :noway: Good gravy!:noway:
    We've been married 30+ years & I've never told him how much - until I needed help programming my pedometer. :sad:
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    I always tell my fiancee....I didn't know people thought it was such a big deal between each other?
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was such a big deal between spouses either.. hmmm

I really don't care who knows my weight. My husband knows and always has. When i get frustrated with not losing weight, i tell him what I weigh again.. and he replies with what he weighs, which is always more.
    Bottom line, he loves me anyway. :smile:

ahhh so anyway, my thought is, weight is just a number really. What's most important is how you feel, how you fit into your clothes and getting healthy :happy:
  • Lynn661
    Lynn661 Posts: 28
    Options
    I know that after all trials and tribulations of life together, it would take more than the numbers on the scale for him to love me less but I question if has he lost respect for me for letting myself get this big......and...... in those first few seconds after he saw it, and is sinking into his brain, he had to be thinking
    " holy crap, I didn't know it was THAT much". or "Did I read that right?"
    I think I wanted to protect him from that and hide my shame of it all.
    I guess it's like B4baby3 said....now I feel accountable to him -even though he didn't even acknowledge the fact that he saw it.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I figure even us fluffy girls need love.. yes we are doing something about it and we have not alwys been this way but our men love us for us and that is all that counts... never numbers...:wink:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Keep everything in KG - everyone seems lighter!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was such a big thing either, i don't really care who knows my weight, i'm ususally smaller than everyone i know anyways, i'm only 5 ft everyone is all taller than me. My hubby hears my weight everyday and has ever since i got preggo with our 1st daughter right after we got married in 2005, he knew my weight since we met prettty much in 2001, that is when i worked out like crazy and had abs, then we started dating, he moved in, we bought this house in the middle of nowhere and no gym nearby, and got married and got preggo right away with our 3 yo. and now we have a son alomst 1 as well:drinker:

Anyways..........good luck with your new motivation!!
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options

Relax, it's just a number, it's you he loves, and chose to be with, a wise man once said, "a vessel is most useful for the space it holds, not the outside decorations", i'm sure he fell in love for the what is held by the space within...best to you always, Rick
  • MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Relax, it's just a number, it's you he loves, and chose to be with, a wise man once said, "a vessel is most useful for the space it holds, not the outside decorations", i'm sure he fell in love for the what is held by the space within...best to you always, Rick

Rick- I adore you for that post. Amen to that!

Lynn661- I completely understand what you are saying and while some don't feel the same, to each his own. I've had a similar occasion before I joined MFP. I kept a hand written journal that had my weight, measurements, foods, calories and pictures of myself that though I never wanted to see them.... certainly didn't want ANYONE else! Well the man got ahold of it and knowing how I was, took it and locked himself in my room. I was banging on the door, crying, and having a big old hissy fit. Meanwhile, what I didn't know was that he was on the other side sitting on my bed, without the journal. He didn't look, because he knew what it meant to me. The moral of this story.... whether or not they see our dark little secret numbers that some of us can't share ( me included) they love us anyways, hopefully!! You have 3 gorgeous children and the motivation to make yourself happier and healthier. I guess some of us need to open up more, maybe to be more accountable, or because in the end... it is just a number- and you can change it. I'll let you know when I get to that point!! Good luck!