Am I taking in too few calories??

Options
I started MFP 2 weeks ago and have been under my calorie goal everyday and in the gym 4-5 times a week and all I've lost is 5 pounds and I'm stuck there! Is it possible that the 1200 calorie diet MFP put me on is too little?? Is there a way to manipulate the calorie allowance without it saying I went over my goal?

Replies

• bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You've lost 5lbs in two weeks? I would say that is success. Slow and steady.
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    5lb in two weeks is alot to lose you should be really pleased with that! Plus you are going to the gym alot and building muscle so have you taken your measurements??
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It is possible that 1200 is too little, and it's even more possible that your expectations are too high. :wink: There's nothing wrong with 5# in two weeks.
  • oawalton
    Options
    I will admit that 5 lbs lost is better than 5 lbs gained BUT I have lost 5+ lbs in one week before so that's why I'm kinda bummed that I haven't lost more starting out.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I will admit that 5 lbs lost is better than 5 lbs gained BUT I have lost 5+ lbs in one week before so that's why I'm kinda bummed that I haven't lost more starting out.

It could be the 5 lbs you lost in a week was the combination of 1-2 lbs of fat lost plus some water weight loss. Losing 5 lbs of straight fat loss in a week would be very difficult, since that is a daily deficit of 2500 calories.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    BUT I have lost 5+ lbs in one week before so that's why I'm kinda bummed

I'm sorry, but that's probably 4lbs of water weight and a 1 pound of fat. That's pretty decent going for 1 week.

If you think about the math here, it's 3500 calories in a pound of fat. So for 5lbs that's 17,500.
    If we take the accepted typical calorie intake for a woman of 2000 calories, that's 14,000 a week.

so to lose 5lbs in a week means you'd need to eating zero every day, and run for an hour to burn an extra 500 cals a day.

Please understand I am not trying to be patronising here, I'm just trying to help you set your expectations correctly.

When we embark on a calorie restricted diet, particularly when we have reduced our carbohydrate levels, the immediate energy reserves we store in every muscle cell (called glycogen) gets used up quickly and doesn't get replenished. Instead we start burning fat. Well every molecule of glycogen binds with 3 molecules of water so we sweat or urinate that away.

You can prove this to yourself by eating a bunch of carbs after 5 days of dieting and see your weight go up the next day by 2lbs.

Long story short, 1lbs of genuine fatloss a week is a good goal and it's achieveable. More than that isn't for most people. The very big, very heavy folks might be able to do it, but not the regular Joe.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

If you're going to the gym and working out too, then more than likely you are gaining muscle. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting. How much stronger are you feeling?... Can you walk for long distances without feeling winded?.... Pay attention to your NSV (Non-scale victory)!!! those are what count!! And make sure that you have some kind of protein after you workout. chocolate milk or something. It helps. :) good luck!!!
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but that's probably 4lbs of water weight and a 1 pound of fat. That's pretty decent going for 1 week.

If you think about the math here, it's 3500 calories in a pound of fat. So for 5lbs that's 17,500.
    If we take the accepted typical calorie intake for a woman of 2000 calories, that's 14,000 a week.

so to lose 5lbs in a week means you'd need to eating zero every day, and run for an hour to burn an extra 500 cals a day.

Please understand I am not trying to be patronising here, I'm just trying to help you set your expectations correctly.

When we embark on a calorie restricted diet, particularly when we have reduced our carbohydrate levels, the immediate energy reserves we store in every muscle cell (called glycogen) gets used up quickly and doesn't get replenished. Instead we start burning fat. Well every molecule of glycogen binds with 3 molecules of water so we sweat or urinate that away.

You can prove this to yourself by eating a bunch of carbs after 5 days of dieting and see your weight go up the next day by 2lbs.

Long story short, 1lbs of genuine fatloss a week is a good goal and it's achieveable. More than that isn't for most people. The very big, very heavy folks might be able to do it, but not the regular Joe.

I agree. I've been working out regularly for a year and I still have a hard time losing 1% body fat in two weeks. And I work out almost every day for about an hour each day!
    You're doing very well. You should give yourself more credit!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you're going to the gym and working out too, then more than likely you are gaining muscle. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting. How much stronger are you feeling?... Can you walk for long distances without feeling winded?.... Pay attention to your NSV (Non-scale victory)!!! those are what count!! And make sure that you have some kind of protein after you workout. chocolate milk or something. It helps. :) good luck!!!

You can NOT gain muscle on a huge caloric deficit. It just isn't possible. Now if you have a minimal deficit (usually 20% or less than TDEE) than it's possible to deplete fat and gain lean muscle mass. But since it appears the OP is only eating 1200 calories (which already includes a deficit) and is working out, creating a larger deficit, it isn't feasible to gain muscle.

OP,

1200 calories is generally not enough for almost anyone. The problem with eating this amount is your aren't eating enough to maintain a metabolism. Continuing at this rate will increase the chance of muscle loss which leads to the slowing of your metabolism. Also, from your post, i can't tell if you are eating back exercise calories. If you are, great... if you aren't, then you should consider it. Short term, you will lose weight, but as your body adapts, you will plateau and your body will fight harder and harder to hold onto calories. If you are properly fueling your body, by figuring out your TDEE and then creating a deficit, you will have greater long term success. So if you are sedentary, your BMR is 1500 calories and your workout 5 days a week where you burn 500 calories, your caloric needs would be.

1500*1.2+500 = 2300 - 500 = 1700.

The benefit, as described above, of eating above your BMR, is you won't kill your metabolism and long term success. This will also give you a better chance of increasing lean muscle mass if you are lifting heavy.
  • charlieduc
    Options
    When I was in high school I could easily lose 15 lbs in two weeks time. I am now 26 and have had two C-sections. I am happy with my 24 lbs in two months. 5 lbs in two weeks is awesome! Be proud of it. The slower you lose the more likely you will be to keep it off :wink:
  • mtracy11
    Options
    I have been under my calorie goal AND working out 5-6 days per week burning 500+ calories each day and I have lost 0 weight! I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have been trying to eat healthy foods, lots of fruits and veggis, complex carbs and protein. I am really starting to get discouraged!
  • crysmcd1
    Options
    i think 5lbs in two weeks is great. dont get discouraged. think of how great you're feeling and screw the scale. :) i learned that from a very wise person. just keep making positive choices and you will get there!
  • oawalton
    Options
    Most of my gym time is doing cardio at the moment. I actually have an appointment tonight to figure out my "workout plan" so I can incorporate some weights. I know that both is necessary, so after tonite I will have to re-figure my workout schedule.

Also, I do understand about the whole water weight thing. I realize the "pounds" come off quicker in the beginning due to water weight loss, but its also a mental thing. When I step on the scale and I see a 1-2 pond difference it motivates me to keep going...whatever the loss is from.

My ultimate goal is to be down to my goal weight by next January. If I can lose 2 pounds a week, then I'm there. So I'm ok with 5 pounds because essentially I have lost more than my 2 lb/week goal.

The reason I'm asking if I'm taking in too few calories is because I am constantly hungry. I make sure to eat alot of protien and make healthy choices but I honestly feel like I'm not getting enough. I don't want my body to hold on to calories because it thinks its starving. I want to make sure that I am adequetly feeding it to keep my metobolism raised so I can lose weight.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 calories is too low for your activity level. I eat about that much but I have a desk job and only exercise 2-3 times a week by walking 4.5 mph for 40 minutes and I lose weight with that.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

The reason I'm asking if I'm taking in too few calories is because I am constantly hungry. I make sure to eat alot of protien and make healthy choices but I honestly feel like I'm not getting enough. I don't want my body to hold on to calories because it thinks its starving. I want to make sure that I am adequetly feeding it to keep my metobolism raised so I can lose weight.

I think feeling hungry is bad because it will become harder to sustain the diet.

If your body is holding on to calories, then you will feel tired and won't have the energy to be more active. That is a sign you aren't eating enough. Otherwise, if you feel good though and are physically active, then your body is not holding back calories. It can't do the same amount of work with drastically reduced caloric expenditure despite what some people may believe.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to manipulate the calorie allowance without it saying I went over my goal?

Yes. Go to the "My Home" tab, then "Goals", then "Change Goals" and you can change your calorie allowance.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry. the first few weeks are normally the time you loose the most weight in the shortes time frame. 1200s probably more than fine if you are trying to loose weight, especially as you are now 5lbs lighter, which will in turn have reduced your bmi. just stick with it..... wait a few weeks then re-evaluate....
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have been under my calorie goal AND working out 5-6 days per week burning 500+ calories each day and I have lost 0 weight! I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have been trying to eat healthy foods, lots of fruits and veggis, complex carbs and protein. I am really starting to get discouraged!

There is a strong chance you aren't eating enough. Try eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories. Also, depending on how much you have to lose, your goal can be too aggressive. Look to have it set at 1 lb per week.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OP, if you are constantly hungry, you are more than likely not feeding your body enough calories. Food is fuel. If you don't have enough, your body will hold onto what it can. Either change your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week or eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

this