I HATE Protien Shakes

Options
I don't enjoy them. They taste nasty, no matter what I mix them with, BUT I keep reading things that say you should have them after lifting. Since I'm looking to get back into weight training more seriously, this is a concern.

Does it really matter? Can I have something else that's roughly the same grams of protein as a shake and call it good? Is the whole protein shake madness just a matter of efficiency?

I don't want to dread the after workout protein. Advice?

Replies

• Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have always preferred high-protein food to shakes...a handful of nuts, a glass of milk and a bit of chicken breast has a lot of protein and I don't wonder about what's in them.

My problem with powders is I have no way of knowing whether or not they contain what they say they do, and whether they contain anything else. It might be ground up whey full of protein...or it might be ground up something else. There have been enough scandals about food not containing the things it claims for me to be suspicious. If I were to buy a protein powder I would look for one that had been verified by an independent lab.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat protein after a workout.

If you're looking for something high in protein, nothing beats lean meat
    I have always preferred high-protein food to shakes...a handful of nuts,

nuts are not high in protein
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try syntrax nectar chocolate truffle, it tastes good. You can get it at the vitamin shoppe and you can return it if you don't like it.
  • PeggysDad
    Options
    Not all protein shakes taste the same, some taste very nice.

You can buy some tested powders to be sure that you are getting what they say is in the tub. CNP and Reflex are the two brands I use because I know I am getting a good product and they taste very good, even mixed with water.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some people will say post-workout protein isn't necessary, some people swear by it. You'll have to see how your body reacts to figure out if you need it or not.

The reason people suggest protein shakes after a workout is the liquid protein digests faster than a solid food would, so it's absorbed faster by the body. It's also easier to keep a shake clean. It's also more convenient for most people. So can you have something else? Yes. Will it be as effective? Your body will tell you.

I will also say that it does matter what you mix the powder with... but it matters more what the powder is. Some protein powders won't taste good regardless of what you do to them. Others taste much better. Even the good ones will never be confused with a dairy queen milk shake, but not all of them have to be choked down.
  • jgjohnstone
    jgjohnstone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is just the shake. I have found a protein shake that taste great and isn't chalky. Try looking at the ViSalus shakes. They are very versatile in that you aren't restricted in using them as a shake. You can add the protein to oatmeal or yoghurt and have an extremely nutritious meal. If you want to know more about the ViSalus shakes, message me and I can fill you in.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about Protein Shakes. They were 'gritty' and disqusting to me. However, I was told about the Body by Visalus Protein Powder, how it smells like cake mix, and is also very tasty. I finally agreed to try it and I absolutely love it. Its not gritty and it makes excellent smoothies / meal replacements. They have a list of over 100 different shake recipes too! And the best part is, it's not expensive!!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    get the tastless flavour protein powder? Ive seen people add this to glasses of water and just drink it, looks nasty, but still tastes like water, or add it to yoghurt or cereal or something.
    the oly one i have heard of it the isopure zero type. but i havent honestly tried it myself, apparently its zero carbs zero fat, pure protein. dont know how though
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Pro Complex, I like the chocolate and the vanilla is okay too. 30 grams of protein per scoop. I use it in all kinds of ways - put it in yogurt, through it in the blender with a banana and fat free milk, or - it is even good just mixed well with water. I feel the same way as you about every other protein powder I have tasted but this one is actually good.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't drink them. They are intended to 'supplement' a diet lacking in protein. If the diet is good, ya don't need'em.
  • Caper85
    Caper85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Just read how you dislike Protein Shakes. Not sure if you ever tried the Soy Protein Shake from Shaklee. It is delicious!
    I use the Cocoa flavour. It is to die for!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    It's all about the brand when it comes to taste. To be honest if you buy from walmart or some place like that, the shakes taste horrible. Buy a top tier brand like Trutein, Xtreme Formulations, NeedToBuildMuscle, iForce Protean, and etc. They are more $$ but whey has gone up quite a bit and you get what you pay for.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    drink chocolate milk a lot of athletes do it
  • carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you don't like protein shakes, you can always eat food instead. Chicken, fish, greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, legumes ... the world is bursting with real actual nutritious foods that are rich in protein.

I don't really understand the fascination with protein shakes, myself. Personally, I'd much rather eat food. In fact I've lost all of my weight without a single protein shake.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I have always preferred high-protein food to shakes...a handful of nuts, a glass of milk and a bit of chicken breast has a lot of protein and I don't wonder about what's in them.

My problem with powders is I have no way of knowing whether or not they contain what they say they do, and whether they contain anything else. It might be ground up whey full of protein...or it might be ground up something else. There have been enough scandals about food not containing the things it claims for me to be suspicious. If I were to buy a protein powder I would look for one that had been verified by an independent lab.

Again stick with the top tier brands like Trutein or Xtreme Formulations who provided COA's on the protein and letters from 3rd party labs on their ingredients.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

that's why you buy from a brand you trust. it's kind of like anything in life. you usually get what you pay for.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I agree with others, if you don't like them, don't drink them. I don't drink as many as I used to. I do drink a LOT of BCAA's to get the amino acids at a low calorie cost. Food is always the ideal way to get your nutrients.
  • LuaLiz
    LuaLiz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    maybe you're just trying the wrong protein???
    i also used to LOATHE protein shakes... i blame the 6 weeks that i essentially had to live off it years ago when my jaw was wired shut.. (horse kicked me in the face lol)
    ANYWAY.. my hubby recently bought me Promacil in chocolate to try as per the recommendations from the staff at GNC. YEAH.. it's INCREDIBLE!!! It honestly just tastes like i'm drinking a glass of chocolate milk. It's awesome. .. A little on the pricey side, but it's totally worth it.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    If shakes don't do it for you, go for high protein food sources. Fish, Eggs, Nuts and the like.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    nuts are not high in protein

That's true when compared to certain other foods, but one ounce of nuts does have 4-6 grams of protein, which is pretty good for a non-animal product. Nuts are a common protein source for vegans and given their other virtues I mentally lump them in with 'sensible snacks that contain protein'.