Just joined tonight - I hope to lose this weight!

Options
I joined this site tonight (minutes after eating a Mars bar at 11:00 p.m.) :blushing:

I got a shock when I saw my BMI was 24.5 and I am "overweight". I have to make a change. I've tried so many diets, and failed so many times. I feel like everynight, before eating something I know I shouldn't, I say, "Oh, I will start a diet tomorrow". Tomorrow has come. This time, for real.

I hope this time is going to be different. Change that - I KNOW this time is going to be different.

Success to everyone!
:smile:

Replies

• 135gratitude
    Options
    I joined this site tonight (minutes after eating a Mars bar at 11:00 p.m.) :blushing:

I got a shock when I saw my BMI was 24.5 and I am "overweight". I have to make a change. I've tried so many diets, and failed so many times. I feel like everynight, before eating something I know I shouldn't, I say, "Oh, I will start a diet tomorrow". Tomorrow has come. This time, for real.

I hope this time is going to be different. Change that - I KNOW this time is going to be different.

Success to everyone!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Success to everyone!

Yes-- good change-- don't hope, make it so-- good for you--

As that wise old sage, "Yoda" so wisely says-- "Do or do not, there is no try-- "

You can do this Betty-- good for you-- this site is a tremendous help--

Welcome-- have fun!!!
  • 135gratitude
    Options

Success to everyone!

Yes-- good change-- don't hope, make it so-- good for you--

As that wise old sage, "Yoda" so wisely says-- "Do or do not, there is no try-- "

You can do this Betty-- good for you-- this site is a tremendous help--

Welcome-- have fun!!!

Marla - what a lovely and kind welcome - thank you for taking the time to write those inspiring words. There is NO try, I'm doing this!
    :flowerforyou:
  • wrinkles
    wrinkles Posts: 40
    Options
    Welcome, I just joined in March and LOVE mfp....

Good luck to you :wink:
  • dbsmom2002
    Options
    Welcome! I remember when I first joined. I felt hopeful and anxious at the same time. I follow something a Weight Watchers teacher said one - "If you bite it ... write it!" This means everything - the creamer in your coffee, the snack size chocolate you took as you walked by a candy dish - everything! After awhile, it'll be 2nd nature. Now, I can even plan my snacks in advance and when I'm entering breakfast I also enter the food I'm taking to work with me that day to save time not having to enter it later. The tracking helps me stay accountable.

I have about 15 lbs more to lose (lost 50 so far between WW and this website) and it's coming off sooooo slow. I didn't think I was losing anymore and yet after I last entered my weight and looked at a report, I still lost 10 lbs over the last 30 days. So perception is not always correct! Track everything and this website will help you be a healthier you.

Good luck!
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    wrinnkles and dbsmom2002 - thanks for the warm walcome and the tips! Congratulations to both of you for loses!
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    hi betty:flowerforyou:
    i hope mfp helps you. :happy:
    i enjoy it's food/exercise logs, and the friendly games/advise/chats.
    i look forward to seeing more of your betty face.:heart:

robin
  • IrishLass
    IrishLass Posts: 10
    Options
    congrats on taking the hard step...I just joined a week or two ago...everyone is extremely kind and supportive...you can add me as a friend if you want...I'm reading and following a plan put together by Jillian Michaels (trainer on biggest loser)...I think you have to find something that works for you and go with it...my husband is just avoiding bread and cut back on the soda...he eats a lot of fruits, veggies and meat...but the plan by jillian is different...it's about a lifestyle change, which for me is still including a sweet here and there but not as many and being accountable for them...like another post said, if it goes in my mouth, I write it down. It really clues you in on how much you are actually eating. I know you can succeed...believe in yourself! :)
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Thanks Robin and Irishlass!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    welcome!
    i know this site will help you, it has been wonderful to me! one thing i do before i leave to house for the day to work, i pack all my food, lunch and snacks, and i log them in here before i go. so i know what i have left for dinner before i even go to work! it so helps me!
    sorry for typos, i had carpal tunnel surgery yesterday!

i wish you all the best!
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i joined mfp quite awhile ago but there is a vague memory of finding mfp after a binge fueled web search for answers, excuses, something....:explode:

i haven't lost as much as i probably should have but it has been a slow learning process

Life Lesson #5: A lesson will be repeated until it is learned.

Let's say I have repeated quite a bit.:laugh:

If you stick with it I will too!! That is the best thing about it round here. We can lean on each other!!!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :laugh: :noway: :drinker: :bigsmile: :smokin:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Success to everyone!

Well first, welcome. Glad to have ya. But I have to ask, why do you think a BMI of 24.5 is overweight? It's not, 25 and under are considered normal weight. Hell, my BMI is 24 and I'm right where I want to be. with a BMI of 25 or under, you really need to work with Body Fat % and really not look too deeply at your BMI.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Something that helped me a lot was to plan the food for the day in advance and stick to the plan. MFP helped me write it all down in advance so there were no surprises

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: along with that I don't accept any food that is offered to me no matter how innocent (carrots, just a taste of ______, one piece out of the candy dish, etc.)

good luck to you:bigsmile: :bigsmile: you can do it:bigsmile:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Tamish - thanks for the welcome! Great idea about planning ahead - I'm goning to steal that one for sure! :flowerforyou:

amcclure - thanks! It's always about moving forward, right? :smile:

SHBoss - you raise a good point - I don't think I look "overweight" (I'm tall, and pretty fit, so I carry the weight well, even though the number seems high) but I just feel that I need to get this eating undercontrol. In my twenties I could eat late at night, eat desserts, drink, etc, but it seems to be catching up with me (or rather, I''m slowing down). I don't know my bodyfat % anymore; the number would most likely frighten me! Thanks for the welcome! :smile:

Barbiecat - thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome MFP, the greatest website ever. You will love it here. I do. I find this site so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Thanks you for the warm welcomes! I weigh in later this week, but I already FEEL a million times more energetic and happier!

Have a GREAT week everyone!