Calorie Intake HELP!

Options
Hi, I have been doing my fitness pal for a couple of weeks now, and I have noticed that I am never able to eat my total calories - and then especially when I work out I am way low (around 400 to 700 below). But I am meeting my carb and protein totals just fine, and I come a little short for the fat intake. Is this bad?? I have definitely not been losing any weight, which is why I am questioning my methods. I thought I had been doing a good job, sticking with the right foods and meal portions. For one, I am definitely full and not starving or anything, I can't possibly imagine trying to eat that many more calories during the day! Any advice??

Thanks,
Amy

Replies

• atm218
    atm218 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I have been doing my fitness pal for a couple of weeks now, and I have noticed that I am never able to eat my total calories - and then especially when I work out I am way low (around 400 to 700 below). But I am meeting my carb and protein totals just fine, and I come a little short for the fat intake. Is this bad?? I have definitely not been losing any weight, which is why I am questioning my methods. I thought I had been doing a good job, sticking with the right foods and meal portions. For one, I am definitely full and not starving or anything, I can't possibly imagine trying to eat that many more calories during the day! Any advice??

Thanks,
    Amy
  • lindax
    lindax Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi :smile:

You need to try and eat more fruit to at least get to the required calories. Because if you eat too less of what your body requires, the body tends to lower your metabolism. That could be the case that you are not loosing. You need to revive or excellarate your metabolism, which means what ever calories you need per day, you have to meet so that your body can function.
  • frankieswimmer
    Options
    I struggle with that as well esp if im running late in the morning and only have fruit for breakfast, i reccommend trying to eat at least 500 calories for breakfast it sets you up to reach your target and if possible a big cooked lunch, u can always cut back on dinner if you go over :) also aim to eat the amount of calories needed without the exercise first this is a good start on one day i do a boxercise and circuits class that burn nearly 800 calories and i never meet my net calories on that day i would explode.
  • nelsohar
    nelsohar Posts: 5
    Options
    You don't have to eat your exercise calories. In fact, if you did that everyday, you wouldn't lose much at all. I think there is a big misconception about that by the way they add the calories in to your total for the day each time you enter exercise.

You do need to eat your normal daily calories though. If you are having a hard time eating all your calories, try adding some good fats; nuts, avocado, olives or a little bit of olive oil. I was eating around 1000 cals a day for weeks and never lost any weight . I met with a trainer who had me up my calories to 1500 and the weight started pouring off. Too few calories and your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to everything!

Good luck!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Check your measuring methods. You're probably eating just fine, and are under estimating your portions size if you feel full and aren't losing weight.
    Don't estimate. Use real table spoons, not silver ware, and level everything off. Use an electronic scale.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat your exercise calories. In fact, if you did that everyday, you wouldn't lose much at all. I think there is a big misconception about that by the way they add the calories in to your total for the day each time you enter exercise.

You do need to eat your normal daily calories though. If you are having a hard time eating all your calories, try adding some good fats; nuts, avocado, olives or a little bit of olive oil. I was eating around 1000 cals a day for weeks and never lost any weight . I met with a trainer who had me up my calories to 1500 and the weight started pouring off. Too few calories and your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to everything!

Good luck!

I don't want to start a whole big thing, but this first paragraph is extremely subjective, and not really true in many cases. I'm not sure why you say eating exercise calories is a misconception, it's not, we set a goal deficit on MFP, exercise calories keep us within that goal. I stayed within mine, and lost at almost the exact desired amount I set. And I know many many, MFP veterans who have done the same thing.

As to the original posting. We don't know your numbers or your situation, so we can't make any judgement on why it's difficult for you. What I can suggest is examine all the factors and then come to an informed conclusion as to what's not working.

by that I mean, ask your self the following questions:

1) did I set the right goal for my BMI, body fat %, and Age/weight/height/sex
    2) am I planning out my food for the day/week? And if yes, am I taking into account exercise I may do?
    3) why am I eating food with little or no fat?
    4) Is my weight loss goal realistic for my body?
    5) Am I giving the plan time to work or am I expecting too much too fast?
    6) am I calculating my food/exercise calories accurately?

If you can answer all these questions, and know that you are doing everything right, then you need to examine your food intake and figure out what is happening to make your fat intake so low. good fat is important to a healthy body, fat is a source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and is vital to many body functions, vitamin transport, blood/skin/nail/brain health.

If you can't answer some of these (particularly question 1, 4,and 6) then give us your weight, height, activity level, and exercise and maybe we can help some, but until we have those numbers, we can't even speculate for you.