Belly Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So how do I know what foods I really should be eating & avoiding? I'm wanting to stop the storing fat and start burning it!

You should concern yourself primarily with total calorie and macronutrient intake for the day.

Choose foods you enjoy eating and choose foods that hopefully keep you satisfied (for example, if you enjoy a nicely seasoned tilapia and some steamed broccoli, you can eat a BUTTLOAD of this for low calories and it will keep you satisfied for a long time since you can eat massive plates of it for low calories).

But I wouldn't think about food avoidance. You should instead learn to "fit" foods you enjoy into your calorie and macronutrient budget for the day.

Generally speaking, just use "some common sense" with food selection. Eat mostly whole and nutrient dense foods and limit (but do not avoid) junk food.

I wouldn't make it any more complicated than that, unless you have a medical condition or food intolerance/allergy that dictates otherwise.

this
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    if i've learned anything from MFP, it's that you can't spot reduce and that defined abs are made in the kitchen. you can work out, situps, as much as you want, but if there's still that body fat there, you're not going to see pretty abs. keep on losin the weight, eat healthy, and exercise :D
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating Tae Bo Insane Abs into your routine. You can preview the workout on Collagevideo.com and buy it at Walmart, Target, etc. Your library might even have it.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    No one things works for everyone. I use a lot of trial error. The most helpful thing to me was HIIT training on treadmill. Also read Tom Venutos burn the fat feed the muscle.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Get in your macro/micro nutrient essentials, exercise, get rest, reduce stress, and be in calorie deficit. That's it. No secret.

This is the best piece of advice that I have read on these forums in a while.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you because I have the same problem. I bought some books on abs and have a boyfriend with the best set of abs I've ever seen in my life, including in magazines. I talked to him a lot about this and what I'm doing is working. Here's the deal:

1. Diet-you should kick processed foods as much as possible and carbs like white bread and pasta. Eat a salad everyday for a meal. Load up on cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Eat berries too. Eat 5 times a day. Actually read what a portion is before you eat.
    2. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
    3.Do cardio 5-6 days a week. Make sure you change up the type of cardio you're doing. Running, cycling and swimming are great for abs. I do each every week and I do the stairs and the eliptical.
    4. No pop, fast food, fried food, diet food, artificial sweetener or candy. I use stevia or agave nectar now for sweetener and for baking.
    5. If you eat rice, eat brown rice and only 1 serving. Pasta is the same. Stick to whole wheat. I only eat these once a week or less
    6. Other breads that I eat more regularly are whole wheat wraps, spinach wraps and ezekiel bread
    7. Do not eat anything 2-3 hours before you go to bed.
    8. Get enough sleep!
    9. Do an ab workout targeted at your abs 2-3 times a week. I started an abs class at the gym that has REALLY changed things and I know why...we do a lot of ab exercises with dumbells. Crunches and leg lifts with a 10 pound dumbell will really work those suckers.
    10. If you need more motivation you can send me a friend request. I'm on here lots and have tons of great recipes.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you because I have the same problem. I bought some books on abs and have a boyfriend with the best set of abs I've ever seen in my life, including in magazines. I talked to him a lot about this and what I'm doing is working. Here's the deal:

1. Diet-you should kick processed foods as much as possible and carbs like white bread and pasta. Eat a salad everyday for a meal. Load up on cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Eat berries too. Eat 5 times a day. Actually read what a portion is before you eat.
    2. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
    3.Do cardio 5-6 days a week. Make sure you change up the type of cardio you're doing. Running, cycling and swimming are great for abs. I do each every week and I do the stairs and the eliptical.
    4. No pop, fast food, fried food, diet food, artificial sweetener or candy. I use stevia or agave nectar now for sweetener and for baking.
    5. If you eat rice, eat brown rice and only 1 serving. Pasta is the same. Stick to whole wheat. I only eat these once a week or less
    6. Other breads that I eat more regularly are whole wheat wraps, spinach wraps and ezekiel bread
    7. Do not eat anything 2-3 hours before you go to bed.
    8. Get enough sleep!
    9. Do an ab workout targeted at your abs 2-3 times a week. I started an abs class at the gym that has REALLY changed things and I know why...we do a lot of ab exercises with dumbells. Crunches and leg lifts with a 10 pound dumbell will really work those suckers.
    10. If you need more motivation you can send me a friend request. I'm on here lots and have tons of great recipes.