Eating under calorie Goal

Options
2»

Replies

• briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I think part of the issue, especially in my case, is eating a lot of low calorie foods. I get full from eating salads, fruit and veggies then have trouble reaching my daily calories. I know I need to add in more calorie dense foods like nuts and add more healthy fats.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    See I don't 'get' this.

Before I say it I just want to the OP, I am not being smart, not being *****y...just curious.

We're all on here because we want to lose weight right? (unless maintaining)
    And that means at one stage or another we all ate TOO MANY calories?
    So how come when MFP gives you a calorie goal some people find it hard to eat all the calories?

Surely if you're not able to eat 1500 cals a day then you're not overweight in the first place?

And here lies re-education...

Those excess calories were probably from eating rubbish, high calorie density foods. Choosing healthier options including fruit and veg with (in comparison) relatively low calorie density will probably fill the individiual up on less calorific food and so it will be harder to eat "enough" calories per se. I found this when I changed my diet to cut out most rubbish except for treats and changed to a mostly veg/lean meat/low GI carbs based lifestyle and diet.

Thanks, you answered my question.

I eat almost everything I used to eat, but in moderation....so I never have this problem. I eat more fruit, more veggies.....but I haven't cut out carbs or anything. I want something I can stick to forever, not a fad.

I see people on my home-page (friends) way under their calorie goal and I just think....you'd be far better off doing this in a sustainable way. But each to their own.
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I think its really hard to eat more when I feel like a stuffed turkey...lol... For instance... I just ate a half plate of Zaxby's house Salad with grilled chicken and I'm full as can be.......
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips
    - stay away from diet and lite foods, opt for full fat, full calorie versions of food (they are usually healthier as well)
    - eat nuts, seeds, and dehydrated fruit as snacks
    - increase the MF% in any milk products you eat. (instead of 0% yogurt, eat 2%)
    - add olive oil to soups sauces, and salads
    - add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    - drink some calories (have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water)
    - nut butters are your fried, but then on any- and every-thing.
  • hellomorning_
    Options
    Hi, I've just started this and I'm realising that I'm regularly coming to under 1200 a day. It's always over 1000 and I always eat enough, I've been making myself eat more even when I wasn't really hungry cos I didn't want to be eating ridiculously few calories. It's not that I'm starving myself or anything, I always have enough. Even when I've been snacking it's still under. Basically, if you're eating enough to be full and eating proper meals is it so bad to be under 100 or 200 cals?
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    See I don't 'get' this.

Before I say it I just want to the OP, I am not being smart, not being *****y...just curious.

We're all on here because we want to lose weight right? (unless maintaining)
    And that means at one stage or another we all ate TOO MANY calories?
    So how come when MFP gives you a calorie goal some people find it hard to eat all the calories?

Surely if you're not able to eat 1500 cals a day then you're not overweight in the first place?

And here lies re-education...

Those excess calories were probably from eating rubbish, high calorie density foods. Choosing healthier options including fruit and veg with (in comparison) relatively low calorie density will probably fill the individiual up on less calorific food and so it will be harder to eat "enough" calories per se. I found this when I changed my diet to cut out most rubbish except for treats and changed to a mostly veg/lean meat/low GI carbs based lifestyle and diet.

^ Yep. Add in excercise and my required cals are closer to 2000+ a day. With all the veggies and fruits and etc I'm eating, I'm happy. My body is still functioning and good to go another 10 mins on the treadmill, so I don't worry about it.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think its really hard to eat more when I feel like a stuffed turkey...lol... For instance... I just ate a half plate of Zaxby's house Salad with grilled chicken and I'm full as can be.......

I know even going to a store to buy the prepackaged salads or out to eat the salad that they put more then one serving into some of them such as the prepackage salad at the store they are like 4 servings. Just becarful. I am not perfect by any means I just know that some places serve up more then they should.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You need to eat closer to your goal. Try snacking on nuts. And supplementing your meals with protein shakes. :3
  • MellieBop
    Options
    Right now, My Daily Cal Goal is 1739. But my weeky goal for losing pounds it 2 lbs/week. I'd like to still lose 2 lb / week, and don't want to platuae.

Here is a guide for setting proper weekly weight loss goals (2lbs/week is probably too aggressive for the amount you have to lose, and it would be likely that a good portion of the 2lbs would be from muscle if you continue):
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    Does this hold true for women as well as men?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Right now, My Daily Cal Goal is 1739. But my weeky goal for losing pounds it 2 lbs/week. I'd like to still lose 2 lb / week, and don't want to platuae.

Here is a guide for setting proper weekly weight loss goals (2lbs/week is probably too aggressive for the amount you have to lose, and it would be likely that a good portion of the 2lbs would be from muscle if you continue):
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    Does this hold true for women as well as men?

Yes
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Personally I feel your body getting the nutrients it needs is much more important than the number of calories you eat. When you do this your body feels full. If you just eat less nutrient dense foods your body is still "hungry" because now it is not getting the nutrients it needs and provising less calories to do it.

I typically eat 1500-1700 calories a day (about 500-700 calories less than maintenence) and I feel full most of the time. Sometimes I fall below the 1500 mark and fill this with some "dessert" 100 calories of dark chocolate or maybe a bowl of berries.
  • busey
    busey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I totally agree please don't make us (the ones that are trying to lose weight) look like pigs.
  • catbox_eddie
    Options
    You need to eat closer to your goal. Try snacking on nuts. And supplementing your meals with protein shakes. :3

See, she knows what's up. Snack on some nuts.