sleep and weightloss???

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
How does not enough sleep affect weightloss? Could just a few days of not enough sleep make you gain a little?

Replies

• Amy_B
    Options
    How does not enough sleep affect weightloss? Could just a few days of not enough sleep make you gain a little?
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    :yawn: Tiredness and sleepiness will automatically make your body strive for quick energy to stay awake, hence you will crave and want to eat carbs for that quick energy. I know that is for sure one way you can not lose or possible gain weight.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    i know that i gained more weight when I was working nights. not getting enough sleep triggers things in your body. I think the doctor said cortisol can be triggered from not enough sleep, and you metabolism can be slowed from it. maybe im crazy
  • Amy_B
    Options
    The reason I'm asking is that I've been doing pretty well lately, but I have gained some weight the last few days. One thing I have noticed that has changed is my breastfed son is not sleeping quite as well as he was even earlier this week. Hence, I'm not getting as much sleep. I don't think my eating has been affected, as I've been logging them.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Actually, Cortisol is released while you sleep and you want that. I was just reading an article saying that getting more than 6 hours of sleep each night can aid weighloss!

This is from Wikipedia:

Cortisol is a corticosteroid hormone or glucocorticoid produced by the adrenal cortex, that is part of the adrenal gland (in the Zona fasciculata and the Zona reticularis of the adrenal cortex). It is usually referred to as the "stress hormone" as it is involved in response to stress and anxiety, controlled by CRH. It increases blood pressure and blood sugar, and reduces immune responses. Various synthetic forms of cortisol are used to treat a variety of different illnesses. The most well-known of these are a natural metabolic intermediary of cortisol named hydrocortisone. When first introduced as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, hydrocortisone was referred to as Compound E.

Physiology
    The amount of cortisol present in the blood undergoes diurnal variation, with the highest levels present in the early morning, and the lowest levels present around midnight, or 3-5 hours after the onset of sleep. Information about the light/dark cycle is transmitted from the retina to the paired suprachiasmatic nuclei in the hypothalamus. The pattern is not present at birth (estimates of when it starts vary from two weeks to 9 months).[1]

Changed patterns of serum cortisol levels have been observed in connection with abnormal ACTH levels, clinical depression, psychological stress, and such physiological stressors as hypoglycemia, illness, fever, trauma, surgery, fear, pain, physical exertion or extremes of temperature.

There is also significant individual variation, although a given person tends to have consistent rhythms.

Effects
    See also Therapeutic uses of glucocorticoids
    In normal release, cortisol (like other glucocorticoid agents) has widespread actions which help restore homeostasis after stress. (These normal endogenous functions are the basis for the physiological consequences of chronic stress - prolonged cortisol secretion.). It has been proposed that its primary function is to inversely mobilize the immune system to fight potassium-depleting diarrhea diseases.[2]
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I wouldn't think that you would gain weight within a few days of being sleep deprived :huh: I would check your salt intake or carb intake first.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    the thought occured to me today...
    if your nursing, and baby is nursing more than usual and not sleeping. it could be a growth spurt in which case you will have more milk and that will add significantly to your weight.:flowerforyou: