Swimming Tips

Options
Hey Guys.
I'm interested in swimming as a form of exercise but have never done anything more than leisurely swimming. Is there any way/place for a novice to learn basic swimming form, tips, etc? How did you get started with swimming?
Any help or direction would be really appreciated!
THANKS!

Replies

• mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    local YMCA's might have swim lessons for adults. It's key to learn proper swim form, otherwise you just struggle.

Many pools will also have a masters swim session, which is typically coached. While intimidating, it's the best way to learn (as it is coached), and you'll have others around you doing the same thing. It's much more motivating than swimming alone.

Good luck!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    mrtrik is 100% correct. I just jumped in and figured it out, you can do it that way but your form will suffer and you will be working harder than you need to.

YMCA is your best bet, if you have one near you. If you are at a normal gym pool more than likely they won't have a masters sessions from my experience they tend to be at larger pools not just normal gym type of pools. You could ask the life guard for some tips if you have one at your pool.

if you have any more questions drop me a line, i love talking swimming
  • howardwm
    howardwm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I lap swim about a mile twice to three times a week. I’m self taught, I don’t bother with flip turns and I’m pretty slow at 45 to 50 min for a mile. My husband joined a local branch of Masters Swimming club, which is something you may want to look into.
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Form is key. If you don't have the right form, you will hurt and strain muscles. "working harder than you need to" isnt a good thing for swimming. You don't need much for swimming. But I'd recommend goggles and a one piece suit at a minimum.

Any YMCA will have adult lessons. I'm an asst. aquatics director at a JCC pool and we have plenty of adults take private lessons for various reasons and at various stages of being able to swim.

I've been a competitive swimmer since I was 5, and swam D1 my first 2 years of college. If you have questions, drop a line!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    mabe invest in a private lesson or two to help with your form.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, guys!! I belong to our local Y and I was wondering if they had something. I guess I'll start there...even though it IS super intimidating!!
    THANK YOU!!