What's a good mile time?

Options
So I'm use the treadmill quite a bit and I'm doing 2 miles in about 38 minutes and I was wondering if this was a good pace? Does anyone know what a good mile time is?

thanks! :tongue:

Replies

• nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    So I'm use the treadmill quite a bit and I'm doing 2 miles in about 38 minutes and I was wondering if this was a good pace? Does anyone know what a good mile time is?

thanks! :tongue:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I usually run (i guess its more of a jog) a 10 minute mile. I'm not sure if that helps
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    IMO a good time is improving your time over time... LOL I have so much work to do that a 10 minute mile would literally kill me right now... i will get there some day, but nowhere close yet...

anyway, walk at as brisk a pace as you can, and as you get used to that pace kick it up a notch until you can jog. Not all of us (especially me) are runners, but we can push ourselves in our own ways to see improvement.

dont fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others... do what is right for you, and what works for you, and you will notice improvements over time in what you are able to do

:flowerforyou:
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I Usually do a mile in under 12 min. and do about 4.5-5 miles in an hour on my treadmill, that is at the highest incline of 15 and variable speeds of 4.4- 6 .

When i first started back in January it would take me about 45 mins, to do alomst 3 miles and i forget what the incline and speed was. I just worked my way up to what i am at now and hope to continue to get better.

HTH
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    A good mile for you is completely different from a good mile from me or anyone else.

find a 440 yd track (any high school or college track should be this) and do 4 laps at a pace that is harder then comfortable, but not exhausting. That will give you a good baseline.

For some a 13 minute mile is good, for others a 7 minute mile is good. It all depends on your current physical condition. Heart rate doesn't depend on mile time, so if you're looking to get a good calorie burn, compare yourself against your own benchmarks, and try to improve every week, that's how I have done it, and it has worked out great for me.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    IMO a good time is improving your time over time... LOL I have so much work to do that a 10 minute mile would literally kill me right now... i will get there some day, but nowhere close yet...

anyway, walk at as brisk a pace as you can, and as you get used to that pace kick it up a notch until you can jog. Not all of us (especially me) are runners, but we can push ourselves in our own ways to see improvement.

dont fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others... do what is right for you, and what works for you, and you will notice improvements over time in what you are able to do

:flowerforyou:

tayner is right. Your best mile time will be yours based on what is good for you. As long as you are working up some sort of sweat you are doing good. Push yourself from time to time and go faster. You should be able to talk but it should be very difficult. There are some ladies that post on the running threads that do 7 and 8 minute miles which is something I may never see in my lifetime. Right now my best is a 9 minute mile in a 5k race. So it all depends on your ability and what is comfortable to you. Don't try to reach the faster goals to fast or you will only frustrate yourself and give up. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    :drinker: I did my first 5K (3.1miles) last Saturday, and my time was 29:17. I was so excited. My next 5K is tomorrow and I hope to beat that time. Yesterday my time was 29:12 on my treadmill.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I did my first 5K (3.1miles) last Saturday, and my time was 29:17. I was so excited. My next 5K is tomorrow and I hope to beat that time. Yesterday my time was 29:12 on my treadmill.

Great job and good luck on your 5K!!!

I agree with everyone else. A good mile is what is good for you. Make it a challenge to go a little faster the next time.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posts that have mentioned that your "good" mile time is relative to you and your current condition. I just want to add that I bet if you ran outside (or anything other than a treadmill) you'd get better times. I've been running for most of my adult life and have noticed I will ALWAYS get a better run, & better results, if I'm not limited to a treadmill. There's something so confining about it that it effects my natural stride & messes with my being able to adjust my pace or stride on the fly. I also find it easier to let me mind go when I'm running outside and then the time just goes faster & I don't get tired as soon.

Just MHO.
  • symonweedon
    Options
    A good time to run 1 mile is suppose to be between 9 and 10 minutes. I did a 9 minute 35 in my first attempt two weeks ago I then switched to doing longer stints of 3 miles to build endurance and my latest 1 mile time is 7 minutes 33 seconds.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry about time standards, its different for everyone relative to height, weight, physical condition.. my best advice for improving your time is to set a goal to beat your personal best. :flowerforyou:
  • hmkeith
    hmkeith Posts: 9
    Options
    you should interval train no matter what pace you are at. My personal trainer instructed me to start at a comfortable pace then go up by one mph each minute or two then start over. So 4mph for a minute, 5mph for a minute, 6mph for a minute. Then start over at 4mph etc. That will build your cardio endurance and allow you to run faster easier.

I run a ten minute mile.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Depends on how you define "good"
    Your mile time may bee too fast
    :-)
  • butterflykisses9
    Options
    i usually run/walk about 5 miles in a hour....I'm trying to be up to 6 or 6.5 by the end of the summer....it is different if you are walking....a good walking mile time is about 15-16 min while a good running pace would be between 8-10
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    For the fitness jogger/runner (not competing): 10-12 minutes is really good.

For the competitive runner: Under 8 minutes is good.

When I used to run competitively in high school, I could run a mile 5:45-6:00. Nowadays, it takes me a good 10-11 minutes to do a whole mile (but I'm not competing anymore and haven't for 16 years now).
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    A 10 minute mile gets into running territory or 6.0mph, anything slower I consider a fast jog.
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ive done 2miles in 21.04, thats with a 1 minute walk in between.

My 1 mile time is 10 minutes, although Im hoping to better that every week now.

I run with a slight incline on the treadmill too, to burn a few extra calories.

I suppose there is no 'good' time to run a mile in, just aim to beat the time every time you do it :)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    A good time is what you feel is right for you.

My miles are about 16 mins, pretty slow by most, however it's right for me. My husband runs marathons and is at around 8 to 9 minute miles on his long runs (10 to 20+ miles) and around 7 to 7:30 on shorter runs (anything under 10 miles). My daughter runs half marathons and she's at about 9 to 10 min. miles for the entire run.
  • mebinathens
    Options
    A good mile time is around 8:00 for beginners, but it all depends on your physique and surprisingly genetics.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A good mile time is around 8:00 for beginners, but it all depends on your physique and surprisingly genetics.

I think you're a little off base. That's sort of like telling people who are new to the gym that they should be bench pressing 185 lbs.