Eating what I lose in Exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This topic is posted almost daily..with the same disagreements :)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Has anybody thought there is no "one size fits all" answer to the question.

The rate of weight loss that is suitable varies person to person, situation to situation. For those who are massively overweight why should they limit themselves to 2lb/week?
  • paleojamie
    Options
    well for me I eat as much of them as possible .. not always all ..

like I earned 800 more calories from excercise but just wasn't that hungry so I ate 550!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I eat more when I exercise, but never all of my exercise calories ... MFP always has high estimates so people tend to assume they're burning way more than they actually are (I've seen people burn upwards of 1,000 calories during 40 minutes of food prep..ummm no). Try different things out ... if you aren't losing by not eating back your calories, eat some more ... if that's not working, keep adjusting until you find something that works for you. Eating about 200-300 more calories on days I work out hard works for me. Good luck!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Has anybody thought there is no "one size fits all" answer to the question.

The rate of weight loss that is suitable varies person to person, situation to situation. For those who are massively overweight why should they limit themselves to 2lb/week?

If you 200+ lbs to lose you can safely lose more than 2lbs/week, but there are a few reasons why slow weight loss is preferred:
    The slower you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off.
    The slower you lose the less excess skin you will have (skin may tighten along with your loss if it is slow enough).
    Losing slow will help set you up for maintenance so you don't just jump your calories up.
    Losing slower will give you more energy while losing making exercise easier.
    etc.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm relatively new here and I NEED to stop reading them. It makes me want to bang my head into my desk...repeatedly. I guess on tuesdays when I teach an hour long fitness class (650 cals burned) then do my half marathon training run (800 calories burned) then play volleyball (250 cals burned) at 1650 total burned, I'll be just fine eating my daily goal of 1220 calories...makes sense to me... ::banging head against desk:: I won't pass out at all...
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think your body will let you know if you listen to it.

If you feel energetic and you aren't starting to dread working out and if you aren't running out of gas part way through your workout, you are probably eating enough even if MFP says you need to eat more.
  • crystified21
    crystified21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with you Max. I was running a lot training for a half marathon. Losing inches weekly, but my weight wasn't moving. I joined weight watchers, hoping they could give me some clear guidance. They told me not to eat the calories I burned, next weigh in I gained 3 pounds.

However, I figured out how my body works. I don't necessarily need to eat them all back, but I strive to do so. If I am weak before a PM workout I drink a 100 calorie muscle milk to give me that extra energy I need.

I make it a point to wear a HRM no matter what I am doing. Weight Lifting or Cardio. I then calculate the calories burned by my average heart rate. This couldn't be more effective=)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm relatively new here and I NEED to stop reading them. It makes me want to bang my head into my desk...repeatedly. I guess on tuesdays when I teach an hour long fitness class (650 cals burned) then do my half marathon training run (800 calories burned) then play volleyball (250 cals burned) at 1650 total burned, I'll be just fine eating my daily goal of 1220 calories...makes sense to me... ::banging head against desk:: I won't pass out at all...

duh obviously..if u can have ur body run on negative calories, you're doing it right! snort..:laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I ate by "listening to my body" in my 20s and ended up a scary-skinny 103# (I wasn't trying to lose at the time... didn't realize I got so little until people got concerned). I ate by "listening to my body" in my late 30s and ended up at 160#.

My body is really stupid. It will let me skip breakfast without a complaint, and will sometimes tell me that Butterfingers make a great breakfast. :laugh:

I prefer to use my mind and logic. And logic says I need more calories when I burn 500 extra calories than when I sit on the couch all day.
  • ritmeyer
    Options

duh obviously..if u can have ur body run on negative calories, you're doing it right! snort..:laugh:

Sweet! I figured it was all good...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But seriously, some days I eat them all back, some days I don't. But I TRY to eat them back. It's really, really hard to get your mind into that mode when you have been losing weight or trying to lose weight, but we have to fuel our bodies!
  • ritmeyer
    Options

I ate by "listening to my body" in my 20s and ended up a scary-skinny 103# (I wasn't trying to lose at the time... didn't realize I got so little until people got concerned). I ate by "listening to my body" in my late 30s and ended up at 160#.

My body is really stupid. It will let me skip breakfast without a complaint, and will sometimes tell me that Butterfingers make a great breakfast. :laugh:

I prefer to use my mind and logic. And logic says I need more calories when I burn 500 extra calories than when I sit on the couch all day.

THIS!

I didn't gain 90lbs while pregnant because "listening to my body" is an ability I have...