Ezekiel Bread?

13»

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    it's always frozen

At the store by me it's not frozen...sold in with the rest of the bread.

That's really surprising... I've only ever seen it frozen and I assumed that was how it was always sold!

Just found this on their website: "Food For Life products are marketed on a frozen basis to the natural food marketplace and shelf life will depend upon the date products are thawed (except for the local Southern California Supermarket chains where they are distributed on a fresh basis. Note: While most Natural Food Stores display Food For Life products in the freezer, there are some “higher volume” stores who market Food For Life products off their store shelves or in the cooler or dairy case. It is advised to request the date the products were first thawed to determine life expectancy according to the guides below:

Life Expectancy:
    Frozen (0°F) - 9 months
    Refrigerated (45°F) - 2 weeks
    Fresh (75°F) - 5 days

If products are purchased within these time periods from either the date of production or the date thawed, we recommend refrigerating or freezing for longer periods of keeping."

Ah very interesting...so they thaw it and then put it out...
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    I love it, was never crazy about whole wheat. They also have english muffins, hamburger rolls, hot dog rolls. i love the rolls toasted. Give it a try, we are all different. The nutriential benefits are fantastic, since is sprouted whole grain, high in fiber, and great glycemic index.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    If you get Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat bread, it's 70 calories for 2 slices. It has the pillowy-soft texture of white bread. I dunno how "good" for you it actually is, but the calories can't be beat. Never tried Ezekiel, although Eat this, Not that! loves the stuff and mentions it constantly...
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    I actually enjoy it more then regular bread now... it has a sort of nutty taste... I eat the Sesame :) It's great with nut butter, or for Chicken.... It is soft, but a little more... spongy of a consistancy? .... a little thicker... more like a bakery whole grain bread....
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    I have eaten this bread and it's delicious! I didn't find it had a funny taste or anything. I stopped buying it becuase it is a bit pricey. It also had to be kept in the fridge/freezer.
  • aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Toasted it's fine. Untoasted it's dry and reminds me of stale bread.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    I got a frozen loaf a while ago...I hated it. Threw it away. Tastes like old stale hard cardboard. Icky!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    If you get Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat bread, it's 70 calories for 2 slices. It has the pillowy-soft texture of white bread. I dunno how "good" for you it actually is, but the calories can't be beat. Never tried Ezekiel, although Eat this, Not that! loves the stuff and mentions it constantly...

It's not really about the calories with Ezekiel bread, it's the quality of the calories. Grains in general are not great sources of carbs, including whole wheat variations. Ezekiel bread is about the only bread I've really seen any nutritionists or nutrition experts recommend.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    toasted? wonderful!
    untoasted? so NOT good!

Definitely agree!