Do you know what grinds my gears?

Options

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You know what really grinds my gears? When there are 20 machines open and the stinky old man gets on the one next to me and then looks at me like I want to talk to him. No, I indeed do not want to talk to you.

What else grinds my gears? When it is really busy and I see one elliptical open right in front of the tv I want to watch. I get to it and the place to plug my headphones in is broken. :-( THAT'S why no one was on the machine.

What else...when people in cars stalk me to my parking spot so they can take it. You know, you won't die if you burn a few more calories walking in from the spot a little further away. And guess what? When you follow me to my spot, I will be sure to take my time leaving that spot.
  • chefanie85
    Options
    Mine would be when people give me a hard time about counting calories. My boyfriend is ridiculously supportive of my whole healthy lifestyle change, and he's even going to do some 5k's with me this year. But this weekend he wouldn't quit giving me a hard time about using my tracker....and the fact that I use a food scale.

I told him he won't be making fun of me when I can wear a bikini this summer! ;)
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Co-workers who wave candy and donuts and cake infront of my face because they think me failing is funny. Haven't given in in over a month tho! :o)...still grinds my gears!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    grinds-my-gears11.jpg
    Hilarious! Although now I keep picturing Peter singing Surfing Bird (that has to be my favorite episode :laugh: )
    "You haven't heard? I thought everyone has heard?"
    "Heard what?"
    "No Brian don't!"
    "The bird, bird,bird, the bird is the word!"
  • Orangiejo
    Options
    Ever since losing weight, when people tell me

"You got to skinny, eat more!" "Girl, you need some meat on your bones!"

Or make jokes about me being anorexic or too small.

I'm not even that small, I'm 5'4 and around 121lbs. On a good day, I can fit into a size 3 if I'm lucky. There's plenty of girls smaller then me, and it's not like i'm just "skinny", I am actually pretty toned.

It's like, dude if you knew how hard I worked to get to this size, you would understand how offensive those comments are to me.

What grinds your gears?

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. I am the same height and was the same weight and it drove me nuts. I got over it pretty quick though and just smiled and laughed when they said it. Too bad I started eating poorly again or else I would still be laughing! I don't get those comments anymore! Oh well - 20+ lbs to go and I'll be there again. ;)

I also don't like people getting on the treadmill next to me and talking. Unless I came to the gym with them I don't want to chit chat - I want to listen to my music and ignore everyone else. After a shower I'll talk to anyone! lol.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    what grinds my gears: People at the gym that set the treadmill to ludicrous speed and then hold on to the top or sides for dear life while the treadmill forces their legs to move and they look over at me like I'm not running fast enough

do they really think they're getting a workout when the machine is forcing their legs to move? How silly, they'd be better off walking under their own power then being pulled forward by the treadmill

i cant stand it when all the treadmill machines (there is like 10 at my gym) are open but the person has to get the one right next to me. Am I anti-social? LOL

No you're not and I feel the same way. Buying one for home so I can watch what I want alone! LOL. It is entertaining when they keep looking at your screen and trying to go faster or longer. A girl did that last week and then threw herself across the top with her legs still flying..
    Hey, if it challenges them, good on em. I still prefer to workout alone in my home though.
  • RojoyInc
    Options
    Telling you to eat more... So you look like them, is easier than them telling themselves to eat less... To look like you. In todays world, thin and in shape isn't the norm. So what, i never try to be the norm. I haven't owned a cell phone in over a decade.

People like to think they're normal and you need to be like them. I'd reply... No thanks, you can eat it for me. Hehehehe
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

I'm not even that small, I'm 5'4 and around 121lbs. On a good day, I can fit into a size 3 if I'm lucky. There's plenty of girls smaller then me, and it's not like i'm just "skinny", I am actually pretty toned.

It's like, dude if you knew how hard I worked to get to this size, you would understand how offensive those comments are to me.

What grinds your gears?

I am so in your boat! 5ft 3 and 119lbs. But I have a bedonky donk and a pudgy tummy. I'm far from feeling confident or looking good in a bikini, but I also get sick of people telling me I don't need to lose weight. I think they are just saying that because they know they are bigger than me but they don't want to do anything about it. I know that was a mean thing to say, but it's better I say it here than to them.

And I can not get in a size 3. I used to wear a size 3 and gave those up for size 8's. The size 8's are starting to be loose on me and that's good because I hate it when my pants are so tight they hurt.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

What grinds your gears?

I understand.

Greenville, SC huh? My favorite city in the area!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    what grinds my gears: People at the gym that set the treadmill to ludicrous speed and then hold on to the top or sides for dear life while the treadmill forces their legs to move and they look over at me like I'm not running fast enough

do they really think they're getting a workout when the machine is forcing their legs to move? How silly, they'd be better off walking under their own power then being pulled forward by the treadmill

My friends and I make fun of those people openly.

Hahaha now that's funny. Our gym is too small for that though. I LOVE IT!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but to be honest, you do look too skinny in your pic and IMHO you looked better in the before pic. I have a coworker who is the same way - she insists she feels great and is a perfect weight, but she eats practically nothing and exercises like a maniac. People are starting to worry about her. Of course, it's possible that we hjave just been conditioned to a new normal and it's actually healthy to be that skinny.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Co-workers who wave candy and donuts and cake infront of my face because they think me failing is funny. Haven't given in in over a month tho! :o)...still grinds my gears!

Same here! They'll put my favorite crappy snacks in front of me and tell me how good they are ("they're homemade! u know u want one!"). Please just respect my decision to eat healthier and leave me be. Grrrrr
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    People who are "naturally" skinny and ask me "what my problem is" and why I have a hard time keeping my weight down. "What is wrong? Do you just binge? Is that why you have to lose weight again?"
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Just to play devils advocate, some people can be concerned.. and some women can look umm .. like Skeletor and feel that the lower number of the dress size means healthyier .. or even prettyier.. when most of the time .. it doesn't .. Like .. looks at Cameron Diaz, she is so skinny that you can see her spinal cord, hip bones, and entire rib cage .. bleh ... but if you look at her in "The Mask" She looks great! Just saying ..

Before:

esq-01-cameron-diaz-the-mask-011211-lg.jpg

After:

cameron-diaz-cinemacon-2011-bad-teacher-1I4Y7Z.jpg
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Grinds my gears??? When people who are in your life are suppose to support your efforts not bring home McDonalds and fried desserts, etc and ask if you want some. Or mock the healthy dishes you are making and telling you how gross diet food is!
  • Orangiejo
    Options
    Actually had to add another one -

People who tell me I don't need to lose weight drive me crazy. I KNOW I need to lose weight or else go out and buy new clothes in a size 10 or more. Why would they tell me I don't need to lose? How is it that they know? Ugh!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Them "You look great, how much weight have you lost?"
    Me "55 to 60 pounds"
    Them " Wow, how did you do it?"
    Me "A lot of hard work! I am at the gym and workout a lot and I focus and pay attention to what I eat"
    Them "Really, that's all? Not Weight Watchers or something? Well you look great so keep up whatever you're doing."

Are you kidding me???????????????????? I just told you what I'm doing :huh:
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    The lack of support I get from any of my friends until one of them goes on a health kick for a few weeks. For those few weeks I hear everything they eat and every move they make and we are "supporting each other", until they get bored. It's only ever about me supporting them as "I'm the expert" when they want to hear it, it never seems to occur to them how hard it is each and every day for me to make the right choices.
  • teresastrowz46
    teresastrowz46 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i noticed this one yesterday...the guy who is running on the treadmill...at a reasonable pace...and keeps clearing his throat! it's not just a little eh hem! it's a full out gargle, snarfle, cough spasm type thing. ohhh it's too hard to type but it was the worst sounding thing i had ever heard. and it was over and over and over! pretty soon he wiping his mouth with his shirt...catching his phlem? i don't know...but i was SO grossed out. so then later, same guy! i'm on a bike and i look up at the guy who is still running, gargling his mucus and i noticed he is wearing a white t-shirt...and is defnitely the winner of the wet t-shirt contest. he was dripped to the bone in sweat (which is fine...i sweat a great deal as well...but i don't wear white while doing so!) you could see everything clear as day. nipples, chest hair, you name it, there was nothing left to the imagination!
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but to be honest, you do look too skinny in your pic and IMHO you looked better in the before pic. I have a coworker who is the same way - she insists she feels great and is a perfect weight, but she eats practically nothing and exercises like a maniac. People are starting to worry about her. Of course, it's possible that we hjave just been conditioned to a new normal and it's actually healthy to be that skinny.

Except I exercise 4 days a week (mostly weight lifting) and love my food :bigsmile: