A Question Regarding Running

Options
Hello everyone! I figured that we have more than a few seasoned runners on MFP, so I figured that this would be the best place to ask a few questions. :smile:

First off, I will admit that up until recently, I have never run much in my life. Or exercised really. It is only in the past month that I've woken up and snapped out of the sedentary daze I'd been in for years and years; it's time to change.

That being said, I've been doing the treadmill for about a month now, speed-walking at speeds between 2.5-3.5 MPH... but it just gets tedious at times! Yesterday, I upped the pace to a 4.5-5 MPH jog/run... but I just couldn't do it for more than 1-2 minutes at a time with about a 10min "rest" 2.5 MPH walk between bursts. I'd really love to run... seeing the other people doing it makes me only want it more! :frown: Running not only burns tons of calories... it's also so invigorating. My question is...

How do I get to the point where I can run for an extended length of time? How long does it take to get to that point?

And most importantly... what's the best way TO get there?

Thanks in advance! :heart:

Replies

• Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    Hello everyone! I figured that we have more than a few seasoned runners on MFP, so I figured that this would be the best place to ask a few questions. :smile:

First off, I will admit that up until recently, I have never run much in my life. Or exercised really. It is only in the past month that I've woken up and snapped out of the sedentary daze I'd been in for years and years; it's time to change.

That being said, I've been doing the treadmill for about a month now, speed-walking at speeds between 2.5-3.5 MPH... but it just gets tedious at times! Yesterday, I upped the pace to a 4.5-5 MPH jog/run... but I just couldn't do it for more than 1-2 minutes at a time with about a 10min "rest" 2.5 MPH walk between bursts. I'd really love to run... seeing the other people doing it makes me only want it more! :frown: Running not only burns tons of calories... it's also so invigorating. My question is...

How do I get to the point where I can run for an extended length of time? How long does it take to get to that point?

• saerah12
    saerah12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The Couch-to-5K plan is awesome. I was never a runner, and this made it so easy! And it paces you so that you don't injure yourself by taking off too fast. Here is the website info, good luck http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • stevieg_fan
    Options
    google "from couch to 5k" -- that's an interval program - similar to what you've done - short bursts of jogging with walking - over a period of time that will get you there.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Hi Shadow Paws!

Welcome to running. I have been exactly where you are. You can do it!

First I would recommend googling the couch to 5K program. I used it to get me started. It is a walk-run program that helps you get running for 20 minutes non-stop in 10 weeks. For me, it took longer than 10 weeks. The program recommends that you repeat weeks if you need to.

Next month, I'll be celebrating my second anniversary running. Since I started running, I've run in many 5Ks and I ran my first half marathon this past November.

You can do it! I hope this helps. If you have more questions, let me know.
  • healthymom2009
    Options

1. I am NOT a seasoned runner but have gained some speed on the treadmill in the last 2 months. I think speeding up for 30 second intervals or even 1 minute really pushes your body to do more. Some people recommend 1 minute fast and 3 minutes slow. Whatever is going to give you a boost - breathing hard. You might want to try the interval setting on the treadmill - set it for the speed and incline you want.
    2. Endurance takes time to build. Keep track of your times and watch as they improve in one month, etc. I am doing a challenge to walk/jog 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. My time started at over 20 minutes. In one month I have improved that to 17:30. All cardio will help your body become more efficient.

Good luck!
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!

I took a look at that workout, it seems like a good way to go about training myself. I'll have to print it out and give it a shot.

Thanks again! :drinker:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills! Maybe it's just me, but I always run less vigorously & for less time compared to if I'm running outside somewhere. I'll only do treadmills as a last resort. So if you have a chance to find a good route or track, that might help you right there. I've been running for most of my adult life and I just think there's something very limiting about a treadmill. You're fussing with buttons & controls instead of just adjusting your pace when you need to, and I'm always at least a little too careful about my stride (so I don't step off the belt).

Also, I think that getting in the outside air is just more invigorating and keeps me going more. Just my opinion - Good Luck!
  • crimefighter2
    crimefighter2 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!

I took a look at that workout, it seems like a good way to go about training myself. I'll have to print it out and give it a shot.

Thanks again! :drinker:

Couch to 5K. Definitely. Find a buddy to run with you if you can. Get off the treadmill and hit the road/track. Have a stop watch. Set goals, then exceed them. You can do it. Do one 'long' run a week - on the weekend - just go slow. Use the week to up your speed. When you get past that - do fartleks. The couch to 5K helped me trim about 7 minutes off of my 2 mile time. Good luck.