OT-House Hunting rant

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
I am about to lose my mind! My boyfriend and I have been house hunting for about 5 months now and we keep losing houses. We originally put an offer in on a short sale house, but after waiting 4 months and still no answer, we decided to pull our offer. We also wanted rid of that agent since we had found a new one.

Since then we have put an offer in on two other houses which we lost, and wanted to put an offer in on one last night but it sold before we could. I don't get it, why does this keep happening to us? The thing that is really driving me nuts is, no matter how long or short of time it's been on the market, it sells as soon as we want it. The first two were sold after three weeks on the market, this last one after 1 week. How come we can't find and want these houses in the couple weeks or couple days that it is just sitting there not being sold?

I think the housing gods hate me or something. Our agent keeps telling us to have faith, that none of these were meant to be our house and that ours is out there somewhere, but I am starting to get seriously discouraged. Luckily my diet hasn't suffered too badly because of it....it did yesterday, but I paid for that and then some with a horrendous stomach ache. This is supposed to be a buyers market, I never in my wildest dreams expected to have this much trouble.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I am about to lose my mind! My boyfriend and I have been house hunting for about 5 months now and we keep losing houses. We originally put an offer in on a short sale house, but after waiting 4 months and still no answer, we decided to pull our offer. We also wanted rid of that agent since we had found a new one.

Since then we have put an offer in on two other houses which we lost, and wanted to put an offer in on one last night but it sold before we could. I don't get it, why does this keep happening to us? The thing that is really driving me nuts is, no matter how long or short of time it's been on the market, it sells as soon as we want it. The first two were sold after three weeks on the market, this last one after 1 week. How come we can't find and want these houses in the couple weeks or couple days that it is just sitting there not being sold?

I think the housing gods hate me or something. Our agent keeps telling us to have faith, that none of these were meant to be our house and that ours is out there somewhere, but I am starting to get seriously discouraged. Luckily my diet hasn't suffered too badly because of it....it did yesterday, but I paid for that and then some with a horrendous stomach ache. This is supposed to be a buyers market, I never in my wildest dreams expected to have this much trouble.
  • mwatanabe
    mwatanabe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It really does suck. I went through that here a couple of years ago. It's now gotten to the point where investors are snatching up homes left and right. They see something with potential, they get it. Keep your hopes up though. That one gorgeous house for you is out there, and it will be sitting there waiting for you to turn the key!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    It really does suck. I went through that here a couple of years ago. It's now gotten to the point where investors are snatching up homes left and right. They see something with potential, they get it. Keep your hopes up though. That one gorgeous house for you is out there, and it will be sitting there waiting for you to turn the key!

IM IN THE SAME BOAT!!!!! They take the offer and then drop it.. or someone else has a better offer!!! We are hoping to go into escrow soon but with the way it's been going who knows.... GRRR!!! :mad:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Your sure this agent your with is good? Just something to think about....If your sure it's not the agent...Dont despair. When my hubby and I were house hunting we found out DREAM home, and then we had to walk away cause they wouldnt lower the price enough or budge on their move in date and it was way to early. We walked away and it sold 2 days later, we were devastated. About 3 weeks later, our agent calls and says "Do you still want that house?" Apparently something fell through on the deal and instead of putting it back on the market, they just wanted to sell so they called us. We got it for what we wanted and the move in date we wanted....it was totally meant to be and I believe that. So.....keep your head up...our agent always said "The perfect house is not JUST the structure. It is when you get a house for the price you want, time you want, conditions you want and the offer is accepted...ALL those things make THE perfect home" So just remember that!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

Thank you, I just needed some words of encouragement!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Your sure this agent your with is good? Just something to think about....If your sure it's not the agent...Dont despair. When my hubby and I were house hunting we found out DREAM home, and then we had to walk away cause they wouldnt lower the price enough or budge on their move in date and it was way to early. We walked away and it sold 2 days later, we were devastated. About 3 weeks later, our agent calls and says "Do you still want that house?" Apparently something fell through on the deal and instead of putting it back on the market, they just wanted to sell so they called us. We got it for what we wanted and the move in date we wanted....it was totally meant to be and I believe that. So.....keep your head up...our agent always said "The perfect house is not JUST the structure. It is when you get a house for the price you want, time you want, conditions you want and the offer is accepted...ALL those things make THE perfect home" So just remember that!

Yes, I love our agent. She is our third agent in the 5 months we've been looking. The first one was too slick (like salesman slick) and very unprofessional (canceling an appt because of, and I quote, his "baby's mama's drama). The second one we just canned never knew any answers to our questions, refused to show us any more houses while waiting on the short sale, and would go weeks without contacting me. She would only call the selling agent for updates when I called HER asking for updates. Even now that we have pulled out offer, we pulled it on Monday and here is is Friday and still haven't gotten an acknowledgement of rescinding our offer from the selling agent.

Our new agent is very proactive, is in contact with me almost everyday, finds houses on her own in addition to the ones that I send her and will meet with us morning noon or night. She's about the only thing I am sure of right now.

Thanks for your story, it's very encouraging. We're thinking about resubmitting our offer for the short sale with this new agent since we did like the house afterall. Maybe we'll end up getting that house anyway.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Let me ask - you say you keep losing out...are you offering the asking price? Or lower? And by how much?
  • mamashrub
    mamashrub Posts: 128
    Options

its frusterating, I know. But I really do belive that once you find YOUR house, it will be yours because it was supposed to be. My FH and I bought a a place last year, and when we went to look at it, it was only because the realtor had talked us in to it. We saw the picture and thought' no way this is what we want" but once we walked in it was like SUPRIZE!!! The place was EXACTLY what we were looking for. That place was on the market for 2 years on and off and now we think its becasue it was waiting for us. So keep the faith, you will find your place, maybe it hasn't found you yet.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Let me ask - you say you keep losing out...are you offering the asking price? Or lower? And by how much?

On the short sale we offered $4000 below asking, but that doesn't really matter because we pulled our offer before they made a decision, so who knows what that will go for.

The second one we offered asking and then upped it by $6000 when they asked for highest and best offer, but they still took a different offer (not sure what it went for), the third one we were going to offer asking but it sold before we could get the offer submitted and this last one we discovered it sold before we could even write up the offer, but we were going to offer asking.

I guess we're going to have to be prepared to make an offer right after looking at it so we can submit right away. Though we have only been waiting a few days before making an offer (you know, sleep on it for a night and then get our parents over to see it and give a second opinion)