Adults with ADD/ADHD

Options
dippystick
dippystick Posts: 168 Member
Were you diagnosised as an adult? How did you determine you have ADD/ADHD issues? Who did you see doctor/therapist for your diagnosis? What are you doing to stay on top of it? Does it affect you different at home and work? What are your biggest issues?

TIA

Replies

• MichaelWWoods
    MichaelWWoods Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    good thread. I plan to respond at a later date, but yes, I was diagnosed in college, re-diagnosed 5-years later (for GMAT purposes), and showed clear evidence of it being in my life since I was a kid.

Answer questions later...

Biggest Problems -- Impulsivity tied to eating habits.
  • ADDucation
    Options
    Hey Tia,

Solid questions. I'll give some brief insights but feel free to shoot me a message if you want more info.

I was diagnosed in my late teens after watching my school marks, performance and general quality of life slowly slip over the years. Specifically, I was sick of watching my marks slip and wanted to make sure that I didn't waste my potential in my last year of school. Once I'd realised what was happening, I took myself off to my school counsellor and started the journey.

I worked with a variety of people in Sydney, but for the most part Mark Brandtman, an Educational Consultant based in Sydney. He was the first person who, for the most part, I could speak to that had a thorough understanding of where I was coming from and what I was going through. I also worked with Rory McCarthy at The Sydney Developmental Clinic.

To stay on top of my ADHD, I no longer take meds. I have a four part approach to handle my ADHD that I work from, using techniques and strategies to improve my sleep, exercise, eating and dedication. With those in check I use other techniques for learning, focus and the other challenges of ADHD. I put together an E-Book on this, so feel free to shoot me any questions on those four areas.

Does it affect me at home and at work? Sure, of course. But not much more than being tall affects me - it's just something you deal with and develop strategies to work with instead of against. I run my own business now, but prior to that I've worked in the legendary fast-paced industry of Media/Advertising and Online Publishing. It was about using technology to overcome the *****s in my armour so that I could focus on my best weapons, and in the end my approach took me from being in a juniour position to being a team leader.

As for the issues - I think most of them have been covered above.

Hope that helps,

- Rob
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Not myself, but interested to know if anyone gave up wheat products.

I understand that wheat can make symptoms worse so would be interetsed if anyone has found this to be true

Christine
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was diagnosed last year (psychiatrist). Thinking back I believe I've had it all my life. I don't have the Hyper part.

I still struggle with thinking of it as a real biological illness as opposed to some flaw in my thinking. I was always one of those people who smarted "meh, ADHD is crap, just spank the kids and they'll pay attention". That came back to bite me alright.

My biggest issue with it is forgetfullness. Both at work and home. If my mind is racing someone can tell me something and it's in one ear and out the other. Or sometimes I don't forget all the way, I just store it somewhere way in the back of my head and as soon as someone reminds me of it I'm like "DAMN IT!"

Second biggest problem is the exclusionary aspect. I tend to laser focus on a single task to the exclusion of everything else in my life. Sometimes it works for me though - I'm doing it right now with weight loss, lol.

I find keeping a to do list beside me all day at work is pretty vital.

Mindfullness meditation REALLY helps. I strongly recommend it. Probably even before trying meds.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how to get a handle on things. I have a lot going on right now and I get sidetracked too easily and it's hard to finish anything. I have a brother who was diagnosised when he was in elementary school. I also have 2 sons who were diagnosis, one seems to have outgrown it or has learned to make it work for him. The other it isn't an issue for anymore as he's been in a coma for almost 12 years.

When I worked a day job with regular hours I had a very consistant routine and I did much better. Now I work nights and all my days are different and I'm having trouble holding things together. No I can't change jobs, it took me 8 years to get this one and I'm keeping it. Don't do well unemployed.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as an adult after my 3rd child. The doctor said my coping mechanisms were adequate but adding kids to the mix was too much.