Assistance PLEASE! This is getting ridiculous.

Options
2»

Replies

• Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Prefessa, it's interesting that you mention seeing a physician. I've tried that in the last couple of months, if not for just my hormonal issues. Finding the doctor that will listen is the hardest part. I cried like a baby in both the endocrinologist's office and my OB/GYN's office. Neither seemed to feel that I had any medical reason to be upset--although they ran only a standard panel of blood tests, no metabolic blood tests even though I asked for them. At this point, I'm 0 for 2.

I do think that there is something going on in my body with my adrenals, but I can't find a doctor that will give any credence to my concerns.

So I just decided to plunge headlong into weight loss and exercise, while increasing vitamins, in hopes that some of the symptoms I'm experiencing will subside, especially the weight gain, headaches, insomnia, foggy brain, digestive issues, and general malaise. I do seem to have a bit more energy, but so far, that's the only change I've seen.

At this point, I'm just going to stay off the scales and hope that something breaks soon, before I do.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    So I just decided to plunge headlong into weight loss and exercise, while increasing vitamins, in hopes that some of the symptoms I'm experiencing will subside, especially the weight gain, headaches, insomnia, foggy brain, digestive issues, and general malaise. I do seem to have a bit more energy, but so far, that's the only change I've seen.

I could have written this paragraph myself! My doctor decided what I needed for the same symptoms above was an anti-depressant. I told him i wasn't depressed, i knew I wasn't. He said it would help wtih the menopause/night sweats. It did help a little, but I was still just as tired, foggy, moody and had insomnia. I had to ask him to refer me to a doctor in the network that believes in bio-identical hormone so soon i will have my bloodwork done to determine if there is an issue. (I think its low progesterone). I also read in many places that gluten intolerance causes most of the same symptoms so I'm currently trying to be "gluten-free". Too soon to tell.

This is what I keep reading and why I believe its my problem"

"It’s also valuable to understand that menopause causes reduction in progesterone and this may be responsible for certain menopausal symptoms like moods swings, hot flashes, decreased libido, and insomnia. Other low progesterone symptoms may affect women before and after menopause occurs. People may feel fatigue, have dry skin, experience insomnia, have depression, and be likely to put on weight."

Sadly, sometimes we have to ask for a different doctor. i had ask for 3 referrals before I found an endocrinologist who actually knew what PCOS was and could diagnose it. My primary doc had no clue. (This was also 15 years ago before it was so well known)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Once i hit my 40's it was a lot harder to lose the weight than ever before. Here is what works for me, even out your protein/carb ratio. I usually eat around 100 grams of protein and 100 grams of carbs a day. A quick look at your diary shows a higher percentage of carb to protein. I have eggs for breakfast every day (1 full egg and two egg whites), high in protein, keeps me full longer. A greek yogurt at morning break keeps me from getting hungry till lunch. I eat at 1200 calories (yeah yeah, everyone on MFP says that's too low) but if you choose high quality foods you won't be hungry. Replace red meat with 99% fat free turkey (great in chili and tacos), grill your chicken or bake it, fish is great wrapped in foil and baked. I do cardio 5 days a week and each week I bump up the intensity and the mileage. Don't give up, as my doctor said its not as easy to lose it as it was in our 20's and menopause makes it even harder. I also take 1000 mg of Vitamin D3, drink 11 glasses of water a day and do not drink your food calories. Good luck!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day doesn't sound like very much. I've been where you are, though, as far as not losing anything. A few years ago, after hearing about eating more, I decided to try it, and I did diligently watch my caloric intake, and I kept track of calories burned when I exercised. I started losing weight, and lost about 20 pounds in 6 months. I was very happy! I have to write everything down, and even in recipes I make up, trying to figure out the calories, etc. I have talked to some people who don't really like the idea of keeping track of everything that way, but I think it is kind of fun, and it is easier now on this website. I'm 53, by the way, and I know age seems to be a factor. I'm seeking to lose a few pounds right now, and have lost 5 so far. I have found that I have to stick with counting the calories, or I'll be back to square one! Hope you are able to find the answers for yourself!!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Your hormones like your body right where it is, right now. How dare you try to change that... don't you know that your hormones rule everything in your 50-something kingdom. I am 5'8" also, yet I started at 209. I'm at 185 after almost three months.

I only saw "acceptable results" after getting professional help with nutrition and a game plan for reduction in calories based on true BMR, body fat %, etc. I did get that help from the director of personal training at my gym. I use five different trainers at my gym, and at any time could get five different opinions on the correct balance of strength, cardio, diet, etc. I asked for a one-on-one, sit down appointment with the head of training, for a game plan I could work on.

For women our age, especially with ruling hormones, it takes about a month to start to see some differences. I didn't see too much change in the first month, but then changes started in weeks 5-6. Be patient, and get some professional help. I know you said you've tried two doctors -- does a hospital or clinic in your local area offer weight loss workshops?

I'm going to send you a friend request -- you've peaked my interest, so now I want to come along for the ride.
  • Prefessa
    Options
    The Brain Fog thing.....I had it as well.....

Sleep Study....Indicated OSA....CPAP therapy helped but not entirely...I had an AROGANT pulmonologist tell me...hey you have OSA, you cant expect to sleep like a normal person! Jerk!!

Three Years Later....Pre-Diabetes.....Once I corrected my Wakeup BS....The Brain Fog went away!!

Again I cant say that you have the same problems, but just another couple of places to look.

BTW OSA is something you can have even if your skinny as a rail...if your airway is constricted, It doesnt matter...I lost 85lbs....I am Fit, I still need to sleep with a CPAP machine....albeit at a much lower Pressure.