NSV-My first running goal

Options
kristypie
kristypie Posts: 102 Member
I started C25k 5 weeks ago today. I struggled through every workout (even the first few 30 second runs), successfully completing them, but never feeling like I was getting any better. Today was week 6, day1. Brisk 5 min warm up, then run for 9 min, walk 3 min and run 9 min. I ran the initial 9 and felt good after the first couple of minutes. Then when my app prompted me to walk, I looked up and saw the one mile mark ahead. Outloud, I told that British-accented woman, "No!" I ran to the one mile point, and kept running. I finished running the 3 minute walk interval, and kept running through the last 9 minute run for a total of 21 minutes without stopping. And to think I have been so scared of the up coming 20 minute run! For the first time in my life, I ran a mile without stopping. I actually ran for 1.75 miles without stopping. Crazy.

I will never again tell myself I can't do it. I bought into that excuse for way too long and I'm not wasting anymore of my time robbing myself of success.

3873247.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• beach_chelle
    Options
    That is so fabulous!!! I am on week 2 and had a few moments of not wanting to stop running. I hope I can run all the way through on week six like you. You have inspired me :flowerforyou:
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Running is one of my biggest challenges. I just did w1d1 today, and to be honest, I struggled a little. I will keep at it though, and hopefully I will have an inspiring story to share as well. Congratulations!!
  • kristypie
    kristypie Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You guys can totally do this. I have always hated running, and to be honest, I've hated every day of c25k so far. Today was the only day I felt like I was doing good. Hang in there, keep telling yourself you can do it, and you'll be right here where I am in just a few weeks.
  • mdh1127
    Options
    I did the program last year. I was not a runner at all before I started it. My cousin actually told me about it. There were days that seemed so difficult, but I just pushed through. Towards the end I struggled with one of the weeks so I just repeated it. It was so rewarding to run 3 miles non-stop. I have gotten away from running after a job change. I think I will redo the program after reading these posts though!! Thanks and keep up the good work. If I can get through it, anyone can!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    About a year and a half ago my dad passed away VERY unexpectedly, and to cope I started running. When I started, I literally could not make it half a mile without stopping to walk first. But I just kept at it. Soon I'd run a 5k, a 10k, and then a year ago this month I ran my first half marathon! I'm now running my third 1/2 marathon in a couple weeks, and have several more races scheduled over the next few months. My goal is to accomplish a full marathon next year (we have an annual half/full marathon every February here).

I gotta say the sense of accomplishment you feel when you achieve a new time or distance is SO rewarding! Great job!!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep at it, it does get easier. Get some good tunes. Someone said to go to jog.fm and make a playlist based on how fast you run or want to run. Does the beats per minute. Love it!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    *doing the Happy Dance for you!

That's so great! At some point, this running thing is really more MENTAL than it is PHYSICAL. I know that when I was getting near the end of the C25K program, it was really my mind that I had to battle -- telling me that this was tooo far, I was tooooo tired -- more than my body. And it turned out that my mind was LYING to me about what my body could do!!

Congratulations!
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I completed my first 20 min run EVER last night. Even though I was running a 14 min/mile pace I did it! :)

I've gotten a runners high, that sounds like that you had. That momentum and balance of your feet and your breathing that you feel like you could run FOREVER. It is an amazing feeling.

When are you planning to run your 5k?
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Although I didn't do the couch to 5k program I did learn to run. I began running 2 driveways at a time..and thought I was going to die:) slowly and I mean slowly over time I got better. I completed my first 5k in October..it was tough I'm not going to lie..I did walk some of the way but for me finishing was most important.

Well, I keep plugging along and now I am able to run 3-4 miles a time without stopping! I'm not going to set any world records or become some great athlete but I am running.

Stick with it..keep practicing and you will keep getting better and better. I've found while running some days are awesome and others are terrible.. on terrible days instead of getting down I remember..rest, refuel, and retry works everytime..

Good luck, Congratulations..what a great accomplishment
    Dawn
  • Rose200
    Rose200 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are kidding! Today is week 2 day 1. And yes I'm finding it hard too but if I can feel like you in week 5, I will be thrilled. Awesome work girl!
  • Kbeau777
    Options
    Way to go, and it gets easier as your body adjusts. I remember struggling to run a mile, I ran ^.5 miles back to back this weekend. I still cannot believe it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!