Eat Back Calories

I dont mean to sound dumb but I don't get this and how its works with calorie deficiet. I thought if you calories are set at 1200 cal per day then you need to try to burn up as mean calories as you can in your workout to create a deficiet on the 1200 cal. Because I dont get this may also be why I have only lost 2 pounds in 3 weeks.
Also I grew up in the day where you were taught to lose dont eat or eat very little. In past years I have only ate up to 600 cal a day or only at every other day and exercised daily. In past years of my life this has always worked however now being over 40 its blowing up in my face big time. I am terrified to eat more cal. I have always ate healthy cal so now every trying to eat 1200 cal is a huge effort for me.
Any suggestion and information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Hi, You need calories to live, which is your BMR. MFP calculates that and then gives you your daily intake in order to lose weight. If you feel comfortable with 1200 calories and you don't want to eat back your calories that's fine. Many people do. It also helps to rev up your metabolism. Once in a while go out and have something you want that might be 400 or 500 calories more than your normal count. That will keep your metabolism guessing and will help ou lose weight more consistently.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    the 1200 calories is after MPF has calculated a deficit for you already.
    You DO NOT need to create a further deficit on this.

For example, for me to maintain my weight with my current lifestyle, I need around 2400 calories. if I ask MFP to lose me 1lb per week, it takes 500 off that total and gives me 1900 calories to aim for. 2lb, 1000 calories off.
    It bottoms out at 1200 calories, so a lot of people get given that, despite the goal not necessarily being suitable for them.

If you have been under-feeding for so many years, it will be a while before you can eat a normal amount without feeling negatively or seeing a temporary scale gain.
    I'm not qualified on guiding you through this process, however, this link might be useful to read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Also, you look a healthy weight in your photo - 2lb in 3 weeks is actually a lot to lose off a healthy frame.

you should really be aiming for 1/2lb a week, 1lb a week MAX.