How much is cost of living in your area?

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
I live in a Western, Illinois City of about $50,000 people, and while cost of living in our area is substantially less than bigger cities for sure, I'm still not sure how people manage to pay their bills without going into debt sometimes! For most single adults that I know people are making $30,000/yr or less on average... and small 1 bedroom apartments are about $450 in my area...

Since I worked A LOT through college and got a decent amount of scholarships I didn't have any student loans when I graduated... I also paid cash for my car. (which I know is not the norm for most people) I am also extremely fortunate that I have great landlords and my 1,000 sq ft 2 bdrm, 1 1/2 bath apartment is only a total of $350/mo plus utilities... which is also not the norm in my area either...

My questions is... If people have car loans, student loans, etc... how do they make all their payments without going into debt? I know rent is not high here compared to Chicago or New York or anything, but I still see so many people stuggeling ot pay everything every month!

What is average rent compared to average Salary where you are from? Can people live comfortably? or are they just living paycheck to paycheck or going into debt?

Sorry if this a touchy subject for some people...I know some people do not like to discuss money, but I'm just trying to help some friends find housing that they can afford without going into debt and it is proofing difficult!

Replies

• 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    detroit area. everything is cheap except gas
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    dont ever come to australia.
    we live in whats considered the "country" (about oe hour away from the cbd.
    Average looking about (4 bedroom 1 bath )- maybe $400 a week? its pretty suckky.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    The cost of living in my area is crazy. The cost of living index says we are a 195, which means almost double the "average" which is $50,000/year for a family with two children. So that puts us at around $100,000/year for each family. Like I said, totally crazy.
  • audreanna76
    Options
    TOO DAMN MUCH!!! I live in Southern California!
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    the average salary where I live is actually less than 30k/yr and rent on a studio starts at 800$. I have a 900sf 2br for about 1600, car payment, credit cards and student loans and I don't know how I don't go into debt myslef!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    1 bed apartments in my area range from £750 - £1100 a month, before bills. When I worked 50 hours a week one month (on an above-minimum job), I ended up with £950 in my pocket after tax. Yeah, you're not meant to move into an apartment on your own here it seems.

Edit: (South East London)
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Which is why I'm never moving back to CA... even though I love the weather, love the places to go, things to do... I DO NOT miss the traffic or the cost!

I'm in NC now, in a small city - rent is $1,000 for a 3bd 2 bath single family home. We own a home though, and our mortgage is $735 - but we bought the house in poor condition and did our own upgrades to it, I love it, and don't ever want to sell it.

ETA: we also live near a lot of military bases, so revenue is great.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Cost where I live, on the edge of North London in UK - amounts in US$
    3-4 bed terraced house $550,000
    New Jeep Compass $23700
    Petrol $2.15 a litre = $8.14 for a US Gallon
    Pint of beer = $5.50
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    1 bed apartments in my area range from £750 - £1100 a month, before bills. When I worked 50 hours a week one month (on an above-minimum job), I ended up with £950 in my pocket after tax. Yeah, you're not meant to move into an apartment on your own here it seems.

Edit: (South East London)

Ditto!

I live in South West London and half my pay check goes up in smoke for rent excluding bills (£850).
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the majority of my friends are either in debt or living paycheck to paycheck. I think sharing the cost of living is the most significant way of lowering your living expenses whether it be with a roommate or a significant other. I always thought there would be no way I could afford to live in Northern VA where I grew up... but cost of living effects how much you get paid. So what I make may seem like a lot, but I wouldn't get paid this much if I lived in a more rural area. Also it's important to live within your means. When my husband and I bought a house, we set a realistic budget and stuck to it. Good thing about mortgage is it doesn't change! So we keep getting raises and our living expenses stay relatively flat which let's us save more! I think it's just all about making smart choices.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The cost of living in my area is very high, but so are the majority of good paying jobs...you can't live in my area on a burger flipping salary. I'm pretty sure the majority of people that live here are in debt up to their pie holes, or work in the oil industry. My fiance and I both work in the oil industry and we're just starting to pull our heads above water after going to school.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

This site should tell you everything you want/need to know.

It has everything from buying/renting to milk.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    ... and small 1 bedroom apartments are about $450 in my area...

$450 that'll hardly even get you a parking space in Manhattan...

Dev_studio_art_400_20080319122610.jpg

I finally made a break for the 'burbs after 26 years in NYC, the last 18 in a 300 Sq Ft. "2-Bedroom"
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    Right outside of Boston you'll pay about $1000 a month for a one bedroom. The average cost for a home in this area is about 300K and that is for a 50 year old ranch and needs major updating.

Not sure how I do it on a waitress salary but I make it work. We live frugally and don't have expensive "extras". We have pay as you go cell phones, still have dial-up internet at home (gasp), have basic cable with a few extras like HGTV and only take one vacation a year.

I think the average income in my area is about 50K per person. I'm below that but my husband is above. I don't even want to tell you what we pay for a morgage. Bleh!!!
  • KellyAFraley
    Options
    We live in Nor Cal and out rent is close to $1,600 for a 2 bed room duplex. Although the utilities are included in that.
    And my hubby is Military so our BAH pays for it. But I have no idea how civilians live around here. If it weren't for
    him being in the Military there is no way we would be able to afford this area. :\
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I live in New Zealand.
    Apparently the cost of living here is atrocious, but we don't struggle at all.
    My husband is on an average salary (52K), and I'm on not much more than minimum wage ($15 ph),
    Our mortgage is about $950 every 2 weeks, it's an above-average home, but not new.
    We have 2 kids.
    We have lots of bills that are unnecessary ( pay tv, mobile phones, internet, insurances that we like to have but don't need, etc.) but we choose to have.
    But still have over $500 every 2 weeks spare for whatever (clothes, extra food, whatever) even after we pay for everything and buy groceries and fuel.
  • BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Way toooo much!! This state/city is overpriced! I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment and I pay $1,571 a month, that doesn't even include utilities. I live in Southern California btw. As soon as my husband gets out the military I'm moving somewhere cheaper!
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You Londoners are mental.

London is a horrible place and drastically over priced.

i live in Nottingham which is pretty much central england.

We have a combined income for the household of approx £60-70,000 depending on my commission.

our rent is £550 a month for a 3 bedroom semi detached home with a conservatory and 2 bathrooms.

no kids, student loans, a decent sized credit card and loadsa holidays each year!
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    A 1 bedroom in my area is about $1200 -1400. A 3 bedroom house rents for about $2200+ a month, less than 2000 sq. feet.