Quinoa - superfood

Options
13»

Replies

• briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), and like oats, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it a complete protein source. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    We had just read that same information last week...which is great as we love quinoa.
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it's like "nature's brillo pad"...every time i eat it I spend at least the equal amount of time (to the meal) in the toilet....Mary, bar the door...whew!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and wasn't too thrilled. it was pretty plain, and had a 'beany' taste. I'll try it again because I have it. Next time, though, I'll try roasting it first. I'll also cook it with some broth. Hopefully I can work it into our familys menu :-)
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and wasn't too thrilled. it was pretty plain, and had a 'beany' taste. I'll try it again because I have it. Next time, though, I'll try roasting it first. I'll also cook it with some broth. Hopefully I can work it into our familys menu :-)

Try this:

Take 3/4 of a cup of spinach, add 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa (cooked in broth if you want), 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas and some balsamic vinaigrette dressing. It's a quick salad and it's delicious.
  • I agree, quinoa is delicious! My mom actually made a recipe using quinoa this past summer and that was the first time I had tried it... I'm so glad that I did because it's some pretty great stuff.
    It's also good in a stir-fry, soup, stuffed peppers, etc...
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is gluten intolerant. She introduced me to quinoa....THEN she brought on the RED quinoa...it is even better!
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed not a grain but I love it. My favorite recipe is drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, feta and almond slivers. Served cold -awesome
  • DenimDiva
    DenimDiva Posts: 13
    Options
    Tonight I made it with part white wine vinegar and it was very good!
    I have a friend who is gluten intolerant. She introduced me to quinoa....THEN she brought on the RED quinoa...it is even better!

Last time I went grocery shopping I picked up some of the red. I look forward to trying it!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for 2 weeks now, and I am in so much love with quinoa. Loved it in black beans and peppers, loved it with tacos, loved it with shredded pork and cilantro lime, and planning to make my first summer salad with it next week.
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just bought some for the first time and it's not my favorite, the kids can tolerate it, and my husband hates it. I'm going to try to finish the bag, but I probably won't buy it again. I put a little worchestershire sauce in it and it tasted okay.
  • Brightstar4031
    Brightstar4031 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I rather starve to death
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've used quinoa as a bed for my Korean teriyaki baked salmon.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I like it ok but not my favorite. I added it to ground turkey i made for tacos and couldn't tell it was in there. I will most likely use it that way than on it's own. I have yet to find a recipe i really like with it.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
  • kelketchum
    kelketchum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Where is the grocery store can I find this?
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can usually find it by the rice.