Silly question, but protein right after workout?

Options
DrG3n3
DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
I usually am ravenous right after a workout (I do insanity and c25k 5-6 days a week, sometimes both in one day) and usually make a protein shake. I do this to add protein because I don't feel like I get enough through regular meals (though I do add in greek yogurt or protein bars and stuff) and my question is this: If I drink a protein shake, or even eat, RIGHT after a workout, does that render any of my working ineffective for weight loss? This might be a dumb question, but I genuinely don't know, and the search just gave me threads where people asked about adding them for extra protein or soreness. I just want to make sure that doing this right after my workout doesn't mean my body will use this instead of burning this fat. Again, sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks guys!

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    No. Unless you have too much, then yes.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have actually been told that having some protein within 30 minutes of the workout actually helps with muscle recovery, minimizing soreness, etc. It does seem to help me...
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. Most of my workouts end in protein.
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but most days I have a protein shake right after working out. It's been working for me.
  • DeadAnt_9
    Options
    Having something to eat right after a workout is the best thing to do. If you dont eat after exercise your body thinks you are starving and will use the muscle instead of the fat for energy. Therefore any weight loss will actually be loss of muscle.

Eat something with a protein and carbs. I find a small tin of beans are the prefect snack.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Fortunately for me, I don't know if I can physically have too much, because a darned sandwich nowadays makes my tummy feel stretched :p I have done workouts with out them and I feel much more sore the next day, so I really feel like it helps me (seeing as if I am sore, I grunt all day at work and sound like a wounded bear) though I really wanted to make sure I was doing my research right :) My weight loss seems pretty steady so I figured I'm not over doing it. Thanks guys.
  • chasityann32
    Options
    Make sure that your drinking Whey Protein after your workouts and it should be consumed within 30 minutes after your workout, especially after participating in strength and weight training. Whey protein is the leanest protein out there. I do a super stack at this stage in my weight loss goal. I wake up drink Whey protein, drink Extend, which is BCAA 1000, I eat breakfast 30 minutes later. I workout 90 minutes later, then have my Whey Protein again, eat lunch 2 hours later, have a snack 2 hours later, eat dinner and an hour before bed I drink Casein Protein. Casein Protein is a slow digesting protein and keeps your metabolism working while your sleeping.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Sounds like quite the regimen. I use whey protein, and stick with regular means every 3-4 hours. So I'll eat breakfast, a mid morning snack occasionally, lunch then a snack before my workout, the workout itself, and then the shake. Dinner comes a bit later, as I try to make sure I eat at a well enough time that I'm not starving before bed and likely to night time snack. I occasionally look at all those other supplements but I think the vitamin for my iron issue and the whey shake is probably enough to chubby ole me just trying to slim down right now :p
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Make sure that your drinking Whey Protein after your workouts and it should be consumed within 30 minutes after your workout, especially after participating in strength and weight training. Whey protein is the leanest protein out there. I do a super stack at this stage in my weight loss goal. I wake up drink Whey protein, drink Extend, which is BCAA 1000, I eat breakfast 30 minutes later. I workout 90 minutes later, then have my Whey Protein again, eat lunch 2 hours later, have a snack 2 hours later, eat dinner and an hour before bed I drink Casein Protein. Casein Protein is a slow digesting protein and keeps your metabolism working while your sleeping.

Broscience.
  • DeadAnt_9
    Options
    Be careful if you are using protein shakes for long term. They can cause Liver and Kidney Damage. There are apparently also links to heart disease.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Can you provide any sources? Not to sound rude, but I know the difference between causation and correlation, and would definitely like to read sources on these topics.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you are using protein shakes for long term. They can cause Liver and Kidney Damage. There are apparently also links to heart disease.

also broscience.

http://thebodyevolutionreport.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/40-things-you-should-know-science-part_3944.html

If you're total energy burnt for the day is less than you have intaken you will lose weight.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Well we are all here to learn, and I am indeed open to it myself, so thank you. I like that website since it offers the journal articles as well as a condensed abstract and conclusion for them.
  • DeadAnt_9
    Options
    Can you provide any sources? Not to sound rude, but I know the difference between causation and correlation, and would definitely like to read sources on these topics.

These are some websites that have the same theory...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/227769-long-term-effects-of-protein-shakes/
    http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Whey_Protein_Side_Effects

It is really hard to tell if there will be side effects of long term use.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Just count it in your calories like you would anything else.

If I don't have some extra protein after strength training, I will hurt like a motherf#$%er and won't exercise again for days.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Timing matter little with regard to exercise and protein intake. Until fairly recently it was thought necessary to consume protein within a short time period (or anabolic window) post workout to maximize muscle recovery and growth. The latest research suggests this in not true and in fact the "window" if you want to call it that is more like 24-48 hours.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

KEYWORDS
    Katherine Zertasky warns against the excessive consumption of high-protein foods FOR PEOPLE WITH KIDNEY & LIVER DISEASE.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/227769-long-term-effects-of-protein-shakes/#ixzz1lf3HiiOt
  • DeadAnt_9
    Options

KEYWORDS
    Katherine Zertasky warns against the excessive consumption of high-protein foods FOR PEOPLE WITH KIDNEY & LIVER DISEASE.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/227769-long-term-effects-of-protein-shakes/#ixzz1lf3HiiOt

It is hard to tell what could really go on with your body from consuming protein in that form. But the key sentence for me was.

"Over an extended period of time, protein shakes can damage the liver or kidneys, or may worsen pre-existing cases of organ failure."

I've always been a fan of getting nutrients (including protein) from a healthy diet. You get all the essential vitamins and minerals that way too. :smile:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Protein is great after a workout. It helps muscles recover.
  • nikolaim5
    Options

"Over an extended period of time, protein shakes can damage the liver or kidneys, or may worsen pre-existing cases of organ failure."

Wow, if I was Katherine Zeratsky I'd be pissed at Livestrong and Juniper Russo. That article quoted Zeratsky completely out of context.

Russo said "Over an extended period of time, protein shakes can damage the liver or kidneys, or may worsen pre-existing cases of organ failure." That's some pretty scary stuff! Hold on, let's see where she got that info from.. Oh look, she lists two sources at the bottom of her "article" which are both Zeratsky's. Let's see what Zeratsky has to say, "Some high-protein diets restrict carbohydrate intake so much that they can result in nutritional deficiencies or insufficient fiber, which can cause such health problems as constipation and diverticulitis, and may increase your risk for certain types of cancer." Ahhhhhhh.

Basically Russo doesn't know how to read. So no, nothing wrong with high protein intake. The dangers Russo is talking about come from reducing carbs and fibre too low.