question

Options
I was just thinking last night, as I'm getting into the shower and see the huge mirror in my bathroom, is this ever going to change? I mean I see the scale moving and my jeans are getting to big, but I just don't see me smaller? I still have the mental image of the fat me. People have told me that they have noticed. I've lost a total of 30 lbs even though my ticker says only 18, I started before I found MFP. So my question is, how long was it before you changed that mental picture?

Replies

• sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I was just thinking last night, as I'm getting into the shower and see the huge mirror in my bathroom, is this ever going to change? I mean I see the scale moving and my jeans are getting to big, but I just don't see me smaller? I still have the mental image of the fat me. People have told me that they have noticed. I've lost a total of 30 lbs even though my ticker says only 18, I started before I found MFP. So my question is, how long was it before you changed that mental picture?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it takes awhile
    congrats on your progress

hang in there:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    still don't really think of myself as different, but when I see older pictures, I know there has been a change.

I keep getting surprised about the same pair of pants that now fit. Everytime I go to put them on, I get a little shock that they do actually fit. When my lil sis gave them to me, I could not put them on, much less zip them up. now they fit comfortably.

i think it's because we don't lose in just one spot, we lose from all over little by little. so we see the same basic shape, even though it's a shrunken version of that shape. My lower abs are the worst spot, and they still are, even though that pooch is smaller, it is still sticking out farther than the upper abs, so to me, my belly looks the same as before. Am I explaining this well? IDK
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I am down to 122 pounds and I still don't like to look in the mirror in the mornings. I think that sometimes we are way too hard on ourselves and see imperfections that just aren't there. When you figure out how to change your mindset, please let me in on your secret. :bigsmile:
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    SaraBear... Take pictures!!! I have the same exact problem as you. I think we are all our worst critics, our worst enemies, pretty much the most judgemental person that we will ever have to face. When I started working out, I didn't see a difference when I looked in the mirror, but now that I have my "photographic evidence", I have proof right in front of me that my body has changed!:laugh: It doesn't matter if my eyes don't see it in the bathroom mirror. It even makes me keep going when my scale doesn't budge.

I haven't lost weight in a few weeks, but my clothes keep getting bigger. When I look at my most recent pictures, I know why. Keep your spirits up, don't quit, and YOU WILL SEE YOUR RESULTS!!! Everyone else has...:drinker:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I know that it didn't take one day to get this big, as a matter of fact it took 10 years. I will take the advice and start taking before pictures, this image has to stop haunting me! Again thanks everyone I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has this problem.