2»

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    http://www.soheeleefitness.com/2012/02/06/flexible-dieting-101/

Great read here.

This is personally what I do as it works for me :smile:

I clicked on the IIFYM link from that page and came up with this:

1800 maintenance calories needed using the Katch-McArdle method, and 27% body fat that I've come up with using a caliper.
    1440 with a 20% deficit to finish up with the weight loss (I may be finished as it seems I've stalled for the past 2 months).

140g for Protein (560 kcals)
    58g for Fat (522 kcals)

Leaving 318 or so kcals for eating whatever I want after I fulfill the protein & fat kcals first.

So... I'm having trouble actually going from those numbers, to looking at my food diary... and then knowing how to figure up that last 318 kcals...

Is there some forumula I can use to figure out say... if I eat 2 brownies, how they fit into those 318 kcals?? Or am I missing something?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Great read here.

1800 maintenance calories needed using the Katch-McArdle method, and 27% body fat that I've come up with using a caliper.
    1440 with a 20% deficit to finish up with the weight loss (I may be finished as it seems I've stalled for the past 2 months).

58g for Fat (522 kcals)

Leaving 318 or so kcals for eating whatever I want after I fulfill the protein & fat kcals first.

So... I'm having trouble actually going from those numbers, to looking at my food diary... and then knowing how to figure up that last 318 kcals...

Is there some forumula I can use to figure out say... if I eat 2 brownies, how they fit into those 318 kcals?? Or am I missing something?

Instead of cals, look at your macros. So by the end of the day you want to have at least 140g of pro and 58g of fat and then it doesn't matter what else you eat as long as you fit it into your cals. You should prob focus on nutrient dense foods, but no reason you can't fit in treats. Also you can be under fats one day and be higher in carbs and then the next day be higher in fats and lower in carbs.

Did you multiply your BMR with an activity factor and get 1800 or that is your BMR by Katch McArdle?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    For females with that sort of cal target, I'd probably lower the protein & fats a little.

Maybe:
    Pro 120g (480cals)
    Fat 50g (450cals)

remaineder: 510cals (therefore up to 128g carbs)

Gives a bit more freedom IMO.

But that remainder "could" be pro & fat if you wanted.
  • JennieAL

Great read here.

58g for Fat (522 kcals)

Instead of cals, look at your macros. So by the end of the day you want to have at least 140g of pro and 58g of fat and then it doesn't matter what else you eat as long as you fit it into your cals. <---OH!! I get it now. LOL. I was making it more complicated.

Did you multiply your BMR with an activity factor and get 1800 or that is your BMR by Katch McArdle? Yeah, I used 1.6 cause I'm working out usually 5-6 days a week. The BMR was 1280. Oops... ok, guess I miscalculated something. 1280 x the activity factor puts me at 1920 or 2048 for maintenance.
  • JennieAL

Great read here.

58g for Fat (522 kcals)

Instead of cals, look at your macros. So by the end of the day you want to have at least 140g of pro and 58g of fat and then it doesn't matter what else you eat as long as you fit it into your cals. <---OH!! I get it now. LOL. I was making it more complicated.

Did you multiply your BMR with an activity factor and get 1800 or that is your BMR by Katch McArdle? Yeah, I used 1.6 cause I'm working out usually 5-6 days a week. The BMR was 1280. Oops... ok, guess I miscalculated something. 1280 x the activity factor puts me at 1920 or 2048 for maintenance.

I'm wondering if 1400 as a 20% deficit on MFP is too low now. Even though MFP adds back the exercise calories... this just drives me crazy that I don't ever know if I'm really eating the right amount of calories :(

Honestly, the days I'm happiest are when I eat when I'm hungry after workouts and just don't pay much attention to the #'s... then later I get worried that my #'s are off and that I may not be eating enough.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    great article, thanks for the post. I especially liked the "Just Relax" section...everything he writes is so true and should be read by everyone on MFP.
  • chrisdavey
    JennieAL: there is no "correct" number. Remember we're estimating here. You can use the BMR tools to get an estimate & then you are estimating activity level to get your TDEE.

All you have to do is stick to a cal target, hit the minimum macros for a few weeks & then analyse the progress.

Have you lost weight/inches? If yes, then you were eating at a deficit.

If no, then you are close to maintenance & need to drop the intake or increase energy expenditure to create that deficit.

Rinse & repeat as goals change :smile:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL: there is no "correct" number. Remember we're estimating here. You can use the BMR tools to get an estimate & then you are estimating activity level to get your TDEE.

All you have to do is stick to a cal target, hit the minimum macros for a few weeks & then analyse the progress.

Have you lost weight/inches? If yes, then you were eating at a deficit.

If no, then you are close to maintenance & need to drop the intake or increase energy expenditure to create that deficit.

Rinse & repeat as goals change :smile:

Ok, thanks for the reminder :)

I've been at the same weight now for about 2 months, so I guess it's time to drop the intake. I've just started strength training so I'm not really using heavy weights yet like I should be pretty soon... so when I adjust and get the correct weight I'm thinking I'll be getting the most out of my workouts and that will probably boost my energy expenditure some.
  • chrisdavey
    Also remember that if you are close to you're goal weight then it's better to focus on BF%/measurements. (especially because of strength training)
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    I'm sorry but if you don't eat clean, you won't drop the fat. And everyone knows if you start skipping breakfast you will lower your metabolism

Don't worry, I ate two breakfasts this morning just in case.

He was joking :wink:

As was I. :bigsmile:

Very good :) You never know around here :laugh:

Ain't that the truth????
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Thanks for the good read :)
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    I'm sorry but if you don't eat clean, you won't drop the fat. And everyone knows if you start skipping breakfast you will lower your metabolism

Don't worry, I ate two breakfasts this morning just in case.

He was joking :wink:

As was I. :bigsmile:

Very good :) You never know around here :laugh:

Ain't that the truth????
    '

:indifferent:
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    I have an IF/IIFYM question, actually. I sent the article to my husband, because it seems that it is his natural inclination with food -- and then he feels guilty because that's not how you're "supposed" to eat. After reading it, he is feeling really positive about moving in the IF direction. :drinker:

We did the math, and he's aiming for about 175 g protein and 100 g fat a day ... is it possible for him to do that in a 6-8 hour window? I guess it's definitely doable, but I'm trying to imagine what that even looks like.

I'd love to check out the food log of someone who eats IIFYM who is also aiming for around that much protein and fat. Anyone with an open diary want to let me take a peek?
  • JennieAL
    Also remember that if you are close to you're goal weight then it's better to focus on BF%/measurements. (especially because of strength training)

Right. Got it.
  • chrisdavey
    I have an IF/IIFYM question, actually. I sent the article to my husband, because it seems that it is his natural inclination with food -- and then he feels guilty because that's not how you're "supposed" to eat. After reading it, he is feeling really positive about moving in the IF direction. :drinker:

We did the math, and he's aiming for about 175 g protein and 100 g fat a day ... is it possible for him to do that in a 6-8 hour window? I guess it's definitely doable, but I'm trying to imagine what that even looks like.

I'd love to check out the food log of someone who eats IIFYM who is also aiming for around that much protein and fat. Anyone with an open diary want to let me take a peek?

I'm 170g PRO & 60g FAT minimum & diary is open. I have some weird concoctions though :)