Heavy Lifting- Ladies...............

Options
Im sure this is covered in a BAZILLION other posts, but Im not finding what Im looking for.....

I started lifting heavier and I noticed my measurements getting LARGER within the first week. Now I know it takes longer than this to build muscle so Im assuming it is water as my muscles are trying to repair themselves. Week 2- still bigger...... but only in the upper leg & shoulders.......... I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE BOOTY :grumble:

So my questions are as follows:

When you started lifting heavy did it take a while for the inches to come off?

Did you get "bigger" first and for how long did that last?

Do you only lift heavy with certain muscle groups or all? I notice that I easily gain muscle in my arms and they were getting bigger than I cared for........

What do you consider "heavy"?

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on this, but have also gone up on inches on my legs and arms.. I believe muscles gather water as part of their 'healing' process.

Traditionally I have read that a day of rest is needed to allow the muscle to heal itself, but I'm doing the 30 Day shred at the moment which promotes 30 days constant or near constant repeats.

I'm sure others will be along soon with fuller answers for you... and I'll be watching for their answers. lol
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My thighs and biceps got quite swollen when I first started going to the gym 3 weeks ago, I think they're starting to go down now... It's important to drink a lot of water pre post and during workout and try and get some potassium after. I hate the **** out of bananas but I eat one after all my weights are done and it seems to help me recover quicker.

Now if only the "swelling" on my glutes would buzz off... I've had that for 25 years! :P
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You are only 2 weeks in, not even a man front loading steroids can expect a whole lot of muscle gain in 2 weeks. Give it some time.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What you are seeing is water retention and/or swelling.

"Heavy" is as heavy as possible for 2-3 sets of 6-15 reps. (15 reps should really only be done the first few weeks when you are learning form, then cut to 8-10, 6 if you really want strength). The last rep of each set should be really hard, like I don't know if I can do it hard.

For beginners I always recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It has a nice simple program that focuses on compound lifts rather than isolating moves. Compound lifts = squats, deadlifts, push-ups, lat-pull downs, etc. Isolating moves = bicep burls.
  • AlissaAngelo
    AlissaAngelo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am running a Challenge Group on Facebook, and have a group member who is doing ChaLEAN Extreme which uses heavy weights. She wasn't seeing the scale move and felt like she was getting bigger. I ran across this article by Chalene Johnson... it's great. :)

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

BTW... we just did measurements and while she only lost 1.5lbs over the past month, she lost almost 6 inches all over her body! :)

Good luck!
    Alissa Angelo
    www.AlissaAngelo.com
  • nutandbutter
    Options

"Heavy" is as heavy as possible for 2-3 sets of 6-15 reps. (15 reps should really only be done the first few weeks when you are learning form, then cut to 8-10, 6 if you really want strength). The last rep of each set should be really hard, like I don't know if I can do it hard.

For beginners I always recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It has a nice simple program that focuses on compound lifts rather than isolating moves. Compound lifts = squats, deadlifts, push-ups, lat-pull downs, etc. Isolating moves = bicep burls.

x2. If you're not following the above, please don't claim you're lifting heavy. Another good program is Starting Strength.

ETA: Also, you do not easily gain muscle in your arms. It's not physiologically possible. It's water and the overlying fat.
  • maryloo2011
    Options

x2. If you're not following the above, please don't claim you're lifting heavy. Another good program is Starting Strength.

x 3! My arms and legs feel humungo after working them. It's ridiculous given my build (small frame) that I feel like I can't bend my arms at the elbow after doing a lot of bicep work. It's all water - just remember to STRETCH. Seriously, have you ever had a masseuse work on your biceps? PAIN. Moreso than my neck/shoulders, where I carry a lot of stress (and bad posture).

Also check out the following, they've all aided in putting my routine together:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    ...The New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Bodybuilding.com

:D