OK so I'm a Dork, my next pc

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
I'm not sure I'll be able to do this, but if my funds work out, here's what I'm buying for my next PC. See, I make my own pc's, cuz you get way more bang for your buck, I used to do it as a business, and it's really fun for me (shut up all you!) so here is my parts list and price.

CPU - AMD Phenom II Quad Core 9550
RAM - 4 GB DDR 2 800
Mobo - Asus M4N72- E
Case - Black Coolmaster Mid-Tower ATX case
Power - 1000w power
HD - 3 @ 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache SATA2 drives in RAID 5 (1 terrabyte of storage)
Video - ATI Radeon MSI R4830 (512 MB Ram, crossfire compatable, maybe later)
DVD - DVD RW Dual layer lightscribe dvd burner

extras: ultra quiet 80 mm case fan
3 @ ultra quiet Hard drive fans

Total hardware cost : about 975 dollars with shipping and the cables.
This machine will COOK! If I go get the extra video card and do crossfire, it will mash on high end gaming. Couple that with my 23 inch monitor and I'll be in total immersion!

Essentially the same machine from dell:

http://tinyurl.com/c3k7sb

except they don't do phenoms yet, so I went with an intel quad extreme, and my machine has a far better hard drive setup and more power. LOL, mine is 1200 bucks less! nice

I'm such a geek!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm not sure I'll be able to do this, but if my funds work out, here's what I'm buying for my next PC. See, I make my own pc's, cuz you get way more bang for your buck, I used to do it as a business, and it's really fun for me (shut up all you!) so here is my parts list and price.

CPU - AMD Phenom II Quad Core 9550
    RAM - 4 GB DDR 2 800
    Mobo - Asus M4N72- E
    Case - Black Coolmaster Mid-Tower ATX case
    Power - 1000w power
    HD - 3 @ 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache SATA2 drives in RAID 5 (1 terrabyte of storage)
    Video - ATI Radeon MSI R4830 (512 MB Ram, crossfire compatable, maybe later)
    DVD - DVD RW Dual layer lightscribe dvd burner

extras: ultra quiet 80 mm case fan
    3 @ ultra quiet Hard drive fans

Total hardware cost : about 975 dollars with shipping and the cables.
    This machine will COOK! If I go get the extra video card and do crossfire, it will mash on high end gaming. Couple that with my 23 inch monitor and I'll be in total immersion!

Essentially the same machine from dell:

http://tinyurl.com/c3k7sb

except they don't do phenoms yet, so I went with an intel quad extreme, and my machine has a far better hard drive setup and more power. LOL, mine is 1200 bucks less! nice

I'm such a geek!
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    LOL..... My Dad builds computers. He's a geek too! LOL :laugh: :tongue: :wink: (j/k! I LOVE my dad!!!)
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My husband his 2 brothers are geeks. They talk like that all the time. We just sit back and laugh and pretend they are speaking a foreign language.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    That's an awesome price for what you are getting!

I wish my laptop had a terrabyte of storage! I wouldn't have to constantly switch between my 3 external hard drives.

I am a huge computer geek. I spend most of my time on my comp growing my obscenely large movie collection. Right now I have 2 of the three terrabyte hard drives completely filled with movies (last time I counted it was over 700 movies..who knows how many TV shows!)

Gonna watch Xmen Origins tonight. Gotta love hackers who do my work for me. :devil:

It does look like your building one hell of a comp for gaming. What CPU games do you play?

Enjoy your new comp! :bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I'm such a geek!

Maybe-- but you got a cute cleft in your chin-- so we'll overlook it.:smile:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    :love:

Pretty sweet! After working on computers all day, I have absolutely no desire to sit in front of one at home too, so my home laptop is pretty lame compared to that. You definitely get an awesome deal doing it yourself. I do agree that building them is super fun... ok, I'm kind of a geek too.
  • angela2k1
    angela2k1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Much love for geeks :flowerforyou: . I'm a huge geek and I'm so glad my boyfriend is too! :heart:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Well since your a computer geek - I need a lap top

I want one less than 6pounds
    not sure what specs I need to look at
    not for gaming just basic computer stuff and Office programs - any suggestions??
    and not going to break the bank
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not a geek because the only thing I understood was the price:laugh: Was it all in a foreign language?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I wish my laptop had a terrabyte of storage! I wouldn't have to constantly switch between my 3 external hard drives.

I am a huge computer geek. I spend most of my time on my comp growing my obscenely large movie collection. Right now I have 2 of the three terrabyte hard drives completely filled with movies (last time I counted it was over 700 movies..who knows how many TV shows!)

Gonna watch Xmen Origins tonight. Gotta love hackers who do my work for me. :devil:

It does look like your building one hell of a comp for gaming. What CPU games do you play?

YEAH it is!!! I hear ya on the storage. The best part is it is RAID 5, which will be far faster then a straight hard drive, and with 32 Meg buffer the thing's gonna have a miniscule access time. I was thinking about doing RAID 50, but that would just be indulgent of me (plus 6 hard drives would probably boost the price to more then what I wanted). AND RAID 5 means I will almost never have to worry about a hard drive failure!
    I was thinking about adding another drive array for storage only, but I decided that I can just Ubuntu up one on of my old boxes, samba it, throw like 6 cheap 350 gb disks and raid 0 it and have another 2 TB of storage for like 200 bucks if I really want more. I don't do a lot of movie downloading, but it would be nice for all our pictures and songs (the wife has like 10,000 songs right now, crazy lady). I have Wireless N at home so we can stream media wirelessly anyway, so NAS would be fine.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Well since your a computer geek - I need a lap top

I want one less than 6pounds
    not sure what specs I need to look at
    not for gaming just basic computer stuff and Office programs - any suggestions??
    and not going to break the bank

hmm, well, If cost isn't the biggest factor, and you want a light one, Toshiba make an EXCELLENT laptop, far more sturdy then HP or Dells. Here is the one I like. It'll run you like 900 bucks, which is a decent price for a good laptop.

But it depends on what you want to do with it, the screen size makes a huge difference in price.
    here is the one I really like, just under 6 lbs, very nice 15.4" screen (WXGA) and it comes with Windows XP Pro, which is a little hard to get now a days, I'm not a big vista fan so...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4460

Acer also makes a good laptop, I tend to steer away from dells just cuz they put cheap mobo's in their laptops, and they break pretty easilly. And HP adds to much crap to their laptops.

Plus Toshiba has an OUTSTANDING customer service department.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Hello and welcome MFP, the greatest website ever. You will love it here. I do. I find this site so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.

You're an odd dude Max! But you do keep life interesting, I'll give you that.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Oh, BTW, as to gaming, I'm a big MMO guy. Waiting for my Stargate universe Beta key right now. I was a big City Of Heroes guy, I also did some WoW, but found that a little boring and indulgent, plus the people on there were a little nasty so I quit. Tried Guild wars for a while, but it couldn't live up to City of Heroes for me so I went back.
    I will say I'm DYING for the new Starcraft to come out. I'm a starcraft fanatic, LOVE battle net and their ladder system (although I never did better then the 500's, lots of really good Koreans out there). when that comes out, you guys may not hear from me for a few weeks :tongue: .
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Plus Toshiba has an OUTSTANDING customer service department.

Ok, I am NOT, repeat NOT a computer geek...the most I understood of this conversation was the quoted part above. I have a Toshiba laptop I picked up about 3 years ago, the USB ports gave out twice and Toshiba took it back and fixed it both times, so so far I have to agree with the excellent customer service!
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Oh, BTW, as to gaming, I'm a big MMO guy. Waiting for my Stargate universe Beta key right now. I was a big City Of Heroes guy, I also did some WoW, but found that a little boring and indulgent, plus the people on there were a little nasty so I quit. Tried Guild wars for a while, but it couldn't live up to City of Heroes for me so I went back.
    I will say I'm DYING for the new Starcraft to come out. I'm a starcraft fanatic, LOVE battle net and their ladder system (although I never did better then the 500's, lots of really good Koreans out there). when that comes out, you guys may not hear from me for a few weeks tongue .

No way! I played City of Heroes for 3 years and ran a super group on the Triumph server. I am a huge mmo fan. I've been playing since I was 10 starting with Ultima Online. I have played: UO, Ascheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes/Villains, Lord of the Rings online, WoW, and Warhammer. I probably played WoW the longest, and I ran a very successful guild there. I have to agree though that the CoH environment was better than WoW, I just got bored with CoH's lack of endgame play. After you hit 50 on a few toons, what do ya do? =P
    Hehe...I'll stop myself there or I could go on...:devil:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

No way! I played City of Heroes for 3 years and ran a super group on the Triumph server. I am a huge mmo fan. I've been playing since I was 10 starting with Ultima Online. I have played: UO, Ascheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes/Villains, Lord of the Rings online, WoW, and Warhammer. I probably played WoW the longest, and I ran a very successful guild there. I have to agree though that the CoH environment was better than WoW, I just got bored with CoH's lack of endgame play. After you hit 50 on a few toons, what do ya do? =P
    Hehe...I'll stop myself there or I could go on...:devil:

yeah I hear ya, although they did add a nice endgame to CoH last year. I just like the new crafting system, very complex, almost limitless combinations of powers and strengths with it. I started well before UO, I was a mudder in high school and college, lol, still have fond memories of it. Killing freaks and god statues and evil elves to get the orb of faerie ... :happy:

I ran an SG for a few years too, on Liberty, but I quit for a while, when I came back it was dead, which was kinda nice, cuz I had a base, with a couple million inf, full of stuff, but nobody in it. That was pretty cool. but an empty base sucks after a while, and I didn't have the drive to re-recruit a bunch of noobs.

Anyway, nothing, NOTHING matches my anticipation for the SC release, they've been teasing us about it for like almost 2 years now, it's killing me. I can't wait.