Can I count my coffee as water intake?

Options
Can I count the cups of coffee I drink in the morning as my water intake?

Replies

• scottc
    scottc Posts: 72
    Options
  • kbirky73
    kbirky73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Ahhh .. i would say no.
    I drink 2 cups a day at least ... with skim milk and a splenda each.
    Even if you drink coffee without anything it has calories .. but more than that, it doesn't hydrate.

I can't give you the "real" reason why ... but no .. i definitely would say no.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    really?? I always thought coffee didn't. I still wouldn't count it as water for the hydrating factor.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Only if it's decaf. Regular has too much caffein. It does the oposite of hydrating you. Cindy
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

We wish, buddy!!
    eat-drink-smiley-5159.gifeat-drink-smiley-7819.gifeat-drink-smiley-5155.gif
  • helenwood101
    Options
    What about tea?
    PG tips kind lol
  • scottc
    scottc Posts: 72
    Options
    Darn!:ohwell:
  • Megan2287
    Megan2287 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm a huge coffee drinker too. But it's definitely a no even though coffee is made with a lot of water it is really dehydrating. If your having a hard drinking enough water; one thing I started doing just to get an extra cup in, is I try to drink a big glass of water whenever I'm getting ready whether it's in the morning or evening to go out. Hope it helps!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Any liquid counts. Try 50%See WebMD
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Any liquid counts. Try 50%See WebMD

the web can support any decision you make but coffee is not water
    end of story
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Yes you can. Any liquid, including the liquid in foods can count towards your fluid intake.

The Wonders of Water
    By Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH
    WebMD FeatureReviewed by Michael W. Smith, MDWater is one of the most basic elements of life but figuring out how much we ought to drink hasn't always been so simple.

Most of us grew up thinking we needed to drink eight glasses of water each day, in addition to any other drinks we might choose. But the latest recommendations say that we no longer need to worry about drinking specific amounts of water. Instead, we can simply satisfy our thirst with any beverage. As it turns out, there really was no scientific evidence for the 64-ounce daily recommendation that was based on survey data of usual consumption.

Of course, water -- clean, refreshing, and calorie-free -- is an ideal beverage of choice but studies have shown that you can be just as hydrated with coffee, soft drinks, or even beer. And some folks swear by its weight loss powers, including Mireille Guiliano, author of the best-selling book French Women Don't Get Fat.

To help make the facts about water crystal clear, WebMD asked experts for the skinny on just how much water we need, and whether drinking water can really help keep those extra calories at bay.

The New Fluid Guidelines
    A 2002 study published in the American Journal of Physiology questioned the old recommendation of 8 ounces of water, eight times a day. After a thorough review, researcher Heinz Valtin concluded there was inadequate evidence that healthy adults -- living in temperate climates and not engaged in rigorous activities -- need large amounts of water.

For normal, healthy adults, Valtin recommended simply drinking when thirsty. And he reported that even caffeinated drinks can count toward satisfying our fluid requirements.

In February 2004, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) issued new recommendations that agree with Valtin's findings. The new guidelines remove the eight-glasses-a-day recommendation, and say healthy adults may use thirst to determine their fluid needs. Exceptions to this rule include anyone with a medical condition requiring fluid control; athletes; and people taking part in prolonged physical activities or whose living conditions are extreme.

How Much Is Enough?
    The IOM report did not specify requirements for water but made general fluid intake recommendations based on survey data of 91 ounces (that's 11-plus cups a day) for women and 125 ounces (15-plus cups a day) for men. Remember, these guidelines are for total fluid intake, including fluid from all food and beverages.

Approximately 80% of our water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, and the other 20% comes from food. Assuming these percentages are accurate for most of us, the recommended amount of beverages, including water, would be approximately 9 cups for women and 12.5 cups for men.

While 20% may seem like a lot of fluid to get from food, many common food items are mostly water.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    One of the smartest things I ever did was give up coffee---it was hard at first, but now I don't miss it at all:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    caffeine acts as a diuretic, negating any water you actually get from it. You can count it if it's decaf though (same with decaf or herbal teas) I mean, by all means, count it anyway if you want to, but you're fooling yourself if you think it's hydrating you :drinker: <
    water
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

the web can support any decision you make...

Well, that's true Dave and people will believe what they want, regardless of the evidence:which is why I do my own research, am careful about reputable sources, and then form my own opinions. I don't really expect anyone else to agree with me, but if they ask, I'm happy to share my opinion and the sources I used to form that opinion.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you can drink sea water for a day and not be dehydrated, I'll believe that coffee counts.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

the web can support any decision you make...

Well, that's true Dave and people will believe what they want, regardless of the evidence:which is why I do my own research, am careful about reputable sources, and then form my own opinions. I don't really expect anyone else to agree with me, but if they ask, I'm happy to share my opinion and the sources I used to form that opinion.

good
    then lets put it this way

I feel better and perform better when I am properly hydrated with watar that has no additives especially coffee or sugar

...I also use coffee...but I do not rely on coffee to hydrate me and I do not suggest anyone do it either
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee or tea as my water intake because it feels like I'm cutting corners. To me, it's like saying french fries and a baked potato are the same because they both come from the same vegetable. If I'm using that logic, I might as well add my coca-cola to my water intake.

126046.png