breakfast ideas before 10K?

Options
I am walking my first 10K tomorrow morning and I need a good breakfast that will stick with me throughout...but also something that won't be heavy and mix badly with my nerves (I am a little nervous/excited).

My brother hopes to be at the halfway point to give me some granola bars but I would rather use those as pure fuel rather than to curb actual hunger. Any suggestions for a good breakfast? I was thinking a bowl of cereal and some toast, but I have no idea if that is enough to get me through....I figure it will take me about 2 hours and 15 minutes, so I will probably eat around 7:30 or 8 and be done with the walk around 11:15 or 11:30.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I am walking my first 10K tomorrow morning and I need a good breakfast that will stick with me throughout...but also something that won't be heavy and mix badly with my nerves (I am a little nervous/excited).

My brother hopes to be at the halfway point to give me some granola bars but I would rather use those as pure fuel rather than to curb actual hunger. Any suggestions for a good breakfast? I was thinking a bowl of cereal and some toast, but I have no idea if that is enough to get me through....I figure it will take me about 2 hours and 15 minutes, so I will probably eat around 7:30 or 8 and be done with the walk around 11:15 or 11:30.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    IMO you're on the right track with a bowl of cereal and toast, but I'd add fruit to the cereal or a glass of orange juice, and try smearing a tbsp of peanut butter on the toast for some more healthy fat and protein. Bring a banana with you (or have your bro bring one with the granola bars.).

Bananas and P.B. are my fuel foods.

Good luck with your 10k walk! Are you walking for a charity by chance?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    IMO you're on the right track with a bowl of cereal and toast, but I'd add fruit to the cereal or a glass of orange juice, and try smearing a tbsp of peanut butter on the toast for some more healthy fat and protein. Bring a banana with you (or have your bro bring one with the granola bars.).

Bananas and P.B. are my fuel foods.

Good luck with your 10k walk! Are you walking for a charity by chance?

Thanks! No, this is just a fun walk/run called the Martian Marathon (5K, 10K, half and full marathon) that a local running store seems to sponsor every year. My mom died of Leukemia and I would love to walk for that, but my brother has been involved with Team in Training (fundraises for leukemia research) every since she died (he runs marathons). If I were to run/walk for that and have to fundraise, we would be hitting up the same friends and family for money, and he already has enough problems getting the required amount each year so that wouldn't work too well.

We also plan on doing a Relay for Life walk next month near my mom's birthday, and my dad is also a prostrate cancer survivor so it will have double meaning for us.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Before my races I normally have a piece of toast w/PB on it and 1/2 a banana